Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer called to tell me they have the fix and are selling OEM covers again. I'm trying to decide between the OEM and a couple other covers. I will be taking it on and off so I don't want a semi-permanent cover or any rails. Once the OEM cover is on the truck how easy is it to remove? Tools required?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My dealer called to tell me they have the fix and are selling OEM covers again. I'm trying to decide between the OEM and a couple other covers. I will be taking it on and off so I don't want a semi-permanent cover or any rails. Once the OEM cover is on the truck how easy is it to remove? Tools required?
I've had mine only a few months, and took it off a few weeks ago for the first time - a snap, no tools. It's supposed to weigh 50lbs, but didn't feel like it.

Haven't put it back on yet as I need to haul my riding mower once more, but will likely in the next week or so. The dealer put it on the first time, but I don't expect any problem.

That's the primary reason I picked the OEM - the only one I could find without rails. Just wasn't willing to give up the side-to-side space, as I sometimes haul furniture, etc., for family members.

Got mine cheaper than list by asking the dealer if they wanted to compete with a 3rd-party seller. They elected to match the price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had mine only a few months, and took it off a few weeks ago for the first time - a snap, no tools. It's supposed to weigh 50lbs, but didn't feel like it.
That's the primary reason I picked the OEM - the only one I could find without rails. Just wasn't willing to give up the side-to-side space, as I sometimes haul furniture, etc., for family members.
OK I'm pretty much sold on the OEM then thank you. Easy removal is important for me. On my old truck I had a soft-cover Tonno Pro that was vinyl but super-easy to take on and off. It was only a couple hundred dollars and worked great. It's similar to the Extang Trifecta, which is in the $450 range. Too much for a vinyl cover, may as well get a hard one for that kind of $$$.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New owner of a 2017, and we ordered the OEM tonneau to be installed before we would take our newly detailed Ridgeline home last week - even planning some chores along the way where the cover was needed. Oops! said the dealer when we took delivery. Now we are hoping the covers will again be sold! (Would you trust them and are they worth it?)

·
Registered
161 Posts

If you decide against it and want to return it, the only parts swap you'll be doing is putting the forward and rear upper cargo tiedowns back on in place of the custom ones used for the factory tonneau. Oh, and you'll need a size 50 torx bit.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
OK I'm pretty much sold on the OEM then thank you. Easy removal is important for me. On my old truck I had a soft-cover Tonno Pro that was vinyl but super-easy to take on and off. It was only a couple hundred dollars and worked great. It's similar to the Extang Trifecta, which is in the $450 range. Too much for a vinyl cover, may as well get a hard one for that kind of $$$.
People have had issues with the OEM, I think mostly leaking water. Mine has had a little of that, but pretty sure it's coming from where the cover meets the bed wall, not through the cover. However I believe that could be improved if I fiddle with it, but I didn't expect it to be waterproof. Got the trunk for items that can't survive some moisture.

On the price, I mentioned here before that all the dealers around me (Cincinnati area) were sticking to the $1000 list price, but I found them online at BK Auto parts (or something like that) for like $770 including delivery, and so I asked my dealer if they wanted to match the price. A day or two later they said OK, so I got it there for that price.

I would've probably gone ahead with BK, but I do like the idea of being able to return it to the dealer in-person if I'm having a problem. This was during the pandemic, so maybe they wanted to churn up some sales.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
9 Posts
Ok just got my ridgeline with the new cover. It’s an aftermarket but they work closely with the dealer (all part of the conspiracy, right?). Anyhow, it looks nice and it’s quoted to be
water “resistant” which is good as it gets I believe. There is a lock on top of the cover on the front driver’s side. There are hooks to keep the cover locked on while it’s completely down and in the up position as well. I’ve included pics hope they are instructive. Bummer it cost $350 MORE than the standard Honda part but I had to get one.
A6DCECAA-C26A-48C6-974D-C1E294B4286D.jpeg
D8EF9843-7196-4420-8FDA-1E490742B8AE.jpeg
13724522-6B8F-4D3B-A799-FA919C1FC333.jpeg
9659D8F0-8FDE-4D8D-A49A-B5AC49D8A9D7.jpeg
952E92BF-0BD9-4D74-BC17-22468691CAAF.jpeg
F5D1C7F9-6E9B-4ACE-B551-2F744A94EE7D.jpeg
A2E4E577-CE80-4AA7-856F-57331CF1329C.jpeg
FBA412A6-0B6D-4B1C-8800-DB31D272DD97.jpeg
BFC388DA-18A2-4B3C-ACA4-5A2A479E790B.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, this is definitely different. I received an official safety recall letter today for my 2017 Ridgeline. Not for the fuel pump thing, but for an Honda Genuine Accessory tonneau cover that I don't have.

The wording implies that I have to bring the truck into the dealer to prove that there is no Honda Genuine Accessory tonneau cover on it.

I called Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center as suggested on the letter, and confirmed. Yep, they do insist that you bring the truck to the dealer - there's no possibility that they're going to pull the original invoice and observe that there's no tonneau cover accessory on there. They can't say whether this recall notice will create a problem at registration renewal time, as the fuel pump one did for me.

If I loved visiting my dealer, I suppose this wouldn't be a big deal. However I'd sooner see a dentist than my dealer. If anybody comes up with a way of getting out of this situation without the dealer visit, please share!

I should have mentioned, for those who do have that tonneau, that the recall reads "If your vehicle is equipped with a tonneau cover that is not properly attached and secured, and the vehicle is driven at highway speeds, a section of the cover may detach from the vehicle, creating a road hazard and increasing the risk of a crash or injury." They're offering to install some tethers and warning labels as a solution.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep. I got my letter today. I don’t have the tonneau cover, but it sure is a problem if the cover components fly off!!

Cars are complicated, but tonneau cover engineering is not a new application. I suspect this was an afterthought for Honda and they did not due the reviews that they should have (obviously).

Here is my copy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,830 Posts
The wording implies that I have to bring the truck into the dealer to prove that there is no Honda Genuine Accessory tonneau cover on it.
That appears to be correct.

Yep, they do insist that you bring the truck to the dealer - there's no possibility that they're going to pull the original invoice and observe that there's no tonneau cover accessory on there.
That's understandable. The tonneau covers are not installed by Honda at the factory. They're installed by dealers, owners, or others, so Honda wouldn't know if you ordered a tonneau cover and installed it yourself, for example.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I just received a recall notice on my 2019 RTLE regarding the optional factory tonneau cover, which I don't have anyway. It seems some are detaching and flying away. Honda's fix is to install a tether between the cover and the tailgate! WTF? Anybody else get the notice?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Forum search is your friend. The second entry when searching for "tonneau recall".

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
315 Posts
Yep. I got my letter today. I don’t have the tonneau cover, but it sure is a problem if the cover components fly off!!

Here is my copy.
That appears to be correct.

That's understandable. The tonneau covers are not installed by Honda at the factory. They're installed by dealers, owners, or others, so Honda wouldn't know if you ordered a tonneau cover and installed it yourself, for example.
Got my safety recall letter in the mail today also. I don’t have the Honda tonneau cover, so no issue with mine. I do have a tonneau cover on it, guess I’ll be visiting the dealer. Oh, the joy! I can hardly wait! I’ll call them in the next week or so and see what I have to do and get an appointment!

61 - 80 of 120 Posts