Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wrote on the letter that I don't have the stupid tonneau cover. So the recall does not apply to me.

I'm not going to be ordered to appear at a damn dealership to prove I don't have an accessory. Pound sand, Honda lawyers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ll mention it when I go in for an oil change
I’ll mention it when I go in for an oil change
Got my safety recall letter in the mail today also. I don’t have the Honda tonneau cover, so no issue with mine. I do have a tonneau cover on it, guess I’ll be visiting the dealer. Oh, the joy! I can hardly wait! I’ll call them in the next week or so and see what I have to do and get an appointment!
On the bottom of the form there is a check box for choices . I checked the OTHER box and wrote in (I do not have this accessory ) and mailed it back in the supplied envelope. Not wasting my time visiting the dealer either.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Attached NHTSA required report just FYI, highlight on first page explains why the notification to all vehicle owners - Honda's between a rock and a hard place on this one, and it almost assuredly isn't their lawyers driving the situation. If ya gotta bitch about someone falling down on the job, why not Extang, the manufacturer of the failure-prone accessory tonneau (see attached)?

Why not 'blame' NHTSA? Because if they didn't act on the complaints filed they'd be catching your wrath for failure to do their job.

Obviously, if ya don't have the tonneau there's no particular reason for the dealer trip. I'll surely be by the dealer sometime in the next few years and will just ask for the looksee and sign-off to clear the 'outstanding recall' from the vehicle record. I'm confident that if I approach it with a smile the service writer will return the smile and say "sure" taking no more than 2 minutes for this one. No big deal but it might eventually be nice to be 'clean' come sale time.

NHTSA recalls are 'forever' and so is the time that a dealer must do the verification / sign-off. NHTSA, for good reason to protect the public, prohibits 'clearing' a recall record absent actual eyes-on dealer (manufacturer representative) verification of the remedy for any recall.

Nothing to get flamed about, IMO, but as seen above some short-fuses disagree.

some folks just gotta find something to get puffed-up and bitch about in even the smallest non-event (get a life)

I'm not going to be ordered to appear at a damn dealership to prove I don't have an accessory. Pound sand, Honda lawyers.
laughably misguided :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We received our notice today. When we take our Ridgeline in to the dealer for it's next oil change/service, I have no doubt that the dealer will just automatically comply with this recall and record that we do not have this tonneau cover installed. For those that currently have no reason to take their Ridgeline in to the dealer, this will just show as an unaccomplished recall in the vehicle's record, who cares, certainly nothing to get panties, (oops, I mean underwear), in a wad over? 🙄

If I understand correctly, this recall has come about due to folks operating their Ridgeline while the tonneau cover is partially open? If this is the case, and this is an Extang cover, isn't there a warning that came with the cover that reads similar as follows:

DRIVING WITH PANELS OPEN OR IMPROPERLY SECURED – Prior to vehicle operation, clamps must be tightly secured so that clamp lips tightly grip the inner bedside metal surface. OPEN POSITION: Tonneau must be completely folded and secured with BOTH buckles. CLOSED POSITION: Tonneau must be completely flat and secured at all 4 clamps.

With this being said, I would mention something about Honda being forced into this recall because they are being compelled to regulate for stupidity, but I prolly would get in trouble and censored for saying such! 🙄

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah,

Got the recall. Got the cover too.Just curious if any one has actually gone to the dealer yet, was anything actually wrong, and what did they do?

Got back from a road trip a few weeks ago. Driving through South Dakota. Cruise control set at 90 MPH for long periods of time. Cover still intact.

·
Administrator
16,828 Posts
NHTSA recalls are 'forever'...
"There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003."

Manufacturers often voluntarily provide free remedies for vehicles older than 10 years, but don't expect GM to drop a new engine in a barn-find 1984 Fiero with an open recall for engine fires. There are simply no replacement 2.5L Tech 4 engines available to replace them with. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the safety straps on mine on the front panel, and this appears to refer to something else. From the language, it seems that the fix is not to tether the center and rear panels to the bed, but, instead, to each other. I wonder why they wouldn't go ahead and tether the center panel to the front? If I ever get a free morning, I'll actually take it in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the safety straps on mine on the front panel, and this appears to refer to something else. From the language, it seems that the fix is not to tether the center and rear panels to the bed, but, instead, to each other. I wonder why they wouldn't go ahead and tether the center panel to the front? If I ever get a free morning, I'll actually take it in.
Yeah my cover also has the safety tethers closest to the cab. Will be interesting to see where they would attach additional tethers

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The way I am reading it is that additional tethers are being attached between the rear panel and the center panel so to keep the rear panel from separating from the vehicle?

SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling all Honda Genuine Accessory tonneau covers for 2017-2020 model year Ridgeline vehicles. If your vehicle is equipped with a tonneau cover that is not properly attached and secured, and the vehicle is driven at highway speeds, the rear panel may separate from the vehicle.

SAFETY RISK:
A separated rear panel creates a road hazard and increases the risk of a crash or injury.

REMEDY:
Please call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected for the Honda Genuine Accessory tonneau cover. If equipped, the dealer will install tethers between the tonneau cover's center and rear panel to prevent panel separation, and apply warning labels to the tonneau cover. In addition, the dealer will provide an updated accessory user's information manual, which provides additional information about securing the tonneau cover prior to driving your vehicle. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

I am further wondering if this may not be a good idea to apply this precautionary "fix" to any of the Extang tri-fold covers?

Update: while out polishing up the Ridgeline I took time to inspect our Extang Signature soft cover and realized that the fabric itself would have to tear before the rear panel could separate, not a very likely occurrence. I will take a close look when our new solid-fold Xceed cover arrives, but it has an additional vinyl cover over the solid aluminum structure, so prolly as unlikely to seperate as as the soft covers. Now, the Encore or Solid Fold?

Bill

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I wrote on the letter that I don't have the stupid tonneau cover. So the recall does not apply to me.

"You will appear, sir, but you will be properly masked and remain 10 feet away - 6 due to mandate and 4 more so your spittle doesn't reach us should you throw a fit."

·
Registered
49 Posts
"You will appear, sir, but you will be properly masked and remain 10 feet away - 6 due to mandate and 4 more so your spittle doesn't reach us should you throw a fit."
😂😂😂

·
Registered
134 Posts
my rear panel flew off on the hwy/interstate...........this did not end well for anyone. 100 feet and right back down
What year was it installed? The back clamps did not work? Rear panel just tore off from the second panel?
Woah! hopefully nobody got hurt.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
my rear panel flew off on the hwy/interstate...........this did not end well for anyone. 100 feet and right back down
Holy crap! Just got mine in July and thought "eh, guess I'll ask about it if I remember", but you've made it quite real. Sorry to hear that this happened to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got mine today - wish I'd gotten it earlier. By coincidence I was at the dealer to have my turn signal replaced under warranty (still cost me $9 for some reason, even though I gave them the bulb???). Anyway, think I'll do this especially since someone else has had the rear panel separate. According to the recall info it sounds like the damage comes when the rear section flips up and the hinge is damaged by it torquing around at highway speeds.

Also noticed on the NHTSA recall notice that these things were made a LONG time ago 😵

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got a card today about a new recall for factory bed covers. Apparently something fails and they go sailing off into traffic. Dealer will install some restraint straps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What year was it installed? The back clamps did not work? Rear panel just tore off from the second panel?
Woah! hopefully nobody got hurt.
my truck is 2018 / The rear clamps were secured - from what i can tell the screws or rod holding the 2nd or rear hinge either fell out or broke and that was enough for the wind to take up up and away. It was a shiz show.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have questions then, lol. Was the tonneau open and then secured using the straps? Or what?
tonneau was down and secured. Straps were secured on front panel. The rear clamps were secured - from what i can tell the screws or rod holding the 2nd or rear hinge either fell out of broke and that was enough for the wind to take up up and away. It was a shiz show.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Called my dealer to get the corrections for my cover. They said they had received no parts yet, but would be contacting everyone that had purchased a cover.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts