Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I received the same notice for my 2017. I don't have one. I called Honda and got the same answer - "the dealer will take care of it on my next visit".
I'm ok with that because I use them for oil changes

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same cover on my truck since the 2017 I bought. I now hve it on my 2020 black addition. i doubt they will send me a letter. And there is nothing wrong with the cover. Just screw it down in front and latch it in the rear. It will be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the bottom of the form there is a check box for choices . I checked the OTHER box and wrote in (I do not have this accessory ) and mailed it back in the supplied envelope. Not wasting my time visiting the dealer either.
Good suggestion ..... I just did the same

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't have a Honda cover. Read the letter and tossed it in the trash, EZ PZ no stress. I do have a nifty Paragon cover and the Honda tailgate latch lock parts on order though.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called my dealer and told them i had installed an after market cover. I have a Truxedo LoPro. They told.me they still wanted to look at it.

We agreed to wait until the next oil change. With the pandemic that might be next fall. ;):p

·
Registered
2018 RTL: LOMAX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock w/Manual Handle Kit
13 Posts
I received my letter last week.

I called my local Honda dealership (which happens to not be the dealership I bought my Ridgeline from) and let them know I received a letter about an accessory I do not have installed. They looked me up from my last oil change service there, verified the last digits of my VIN and told me they would mark me “done”.

No muss. No fuss. And I shouldn’t get another annoying “Recall Service Required” tag on next year’s registration, at least on this matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone can solve this problem. My Ridgeline (2019 RTL) is tied into my iPhone (CarPlay, but also the Honda app). About 2 weeks back I got an email icon on the radio screen. follow the prompts to the phone- it's a recall for the Honda tonneau cover. the problem: I don't have/never had a Honda tonneau cover. In the app/screen there is no way to delete the notification. The only option is sends me down is to schedule the recall with my local dealer. How do I delete the notification without having to go to the dealership (for something I don't have) ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got notified today through email by my dealership that there was an open recall on my 2019 RTL-E. I've always kept up on that and taken care of the ones (4) that affected my vehicle promptly so it was news to me. The email stated the following:

Recall #F8M 2017-20 Ridgeline Tonneau Cvr Accsry

I searched online for recall "F8M" but can't find anything. The NHTSA site doesn't have anything either, but it wouldn't be tied to a VIN since it's an accessory.

Does anyone know what this recall is about and what the remedy entails? Odd that it's a recall and not a TSB which means it must be safety-related.
So I have an answer for you all. I went for service last week and the "advisor" asked me if I had the Tonneau Cover. I said yes and he told me there was a safety recall on it and then he asked if it was a Honday part. Of course it was. I purchased from an on line dealer and installed myself. The tech put a yellow strap below the cover in the front of the bed. I just ran out to take a picture of one side. If I understood correctly, the "advisor" said there was an issue of the cover flying off the vehicle. How it could do that I don't know. So now I'll attempt to attach the pic I took. I previously had gone to the dealer because one of the rubber weather strips under one section had disappeared causing rain water to come into the bed. Somehow Honda knew that the truck wasn't sold with it and they asked where it came from. I told them I purchased and installed. Well......................that's not good. Maybe, just maybe I installed it wrong. So they refused to take care of me unless, of course, I PAID. He said they'd have to purchase the whole seal kit. With that I looked on line and found a web site that sells covers for trucks. This site had a cover that looked identical. Long story short, they have a Honda division that makes them for our trucks. They were so nice that they sent a rubber strip to me at no charge. In the picture you are looking at the front passenger side corner. I have yet to get all the way in in there to see just how they did it. Art
Tonneau.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Refer them to the attached TSB 20-057 Safety Recall: 2017−20 Ridgeline Accessory Tonneau Cover Attachment Information
Thank you for the Service Bulletin. I got a notification on the Honda Link 11/08/2020. I called my dealer and the Service Dept. said they didn't have the parts. I purchased the tonneau cover about 5 months after I bought the 2019 Ridgeline RTL-T and installed it myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to the dealer in September for my State Safety inspection and the service advisor saw my truck when I pulled up and asked if I had the OEM cover. I said yes and he told me there was a recall that they would take care of. They did the work and left me a Honda flyer on what was done. This past Saturday I was at Lowes lifted the first two flaps to reach something in the drivers side corner of the bed. The cover lifted right up! I don't think that's supposed to happen. Have not called them yet but that is some shoddy service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went to the dealer in September for my State Safety inspection and the service advisor saw my truck when I pulled up and asked if I had the OEM cover. I said yes and he told me there was a recall that they would take care of. They did the work and left me a Honda flyer on what was done. This past Saturday I was at Lowes lifted the first two flaps to reach something in the drivers side corner of the bed. The cover lifted right up! I don't think that's supposed to happen. Have not called them yet but that is some shoddy service.
My dealer in Ontario has had the part backordered for over a month now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just so I understand this recall.
The problem is that the cover can fly off when folded back or when fully flat or both?
If the tonneau is folded one section (which isn’t safe anyway) or folded all the way back and not clipped in properly, the last section can come loose and be torn away under highway speed. I imagine it coming unfolded and banging down hard enough against the truck to do this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine flew off - the last panel. While laying flat or folded down. Wasn't pretty - 100' in the air and landed on following car - at interstate speeds

If the tonneau is folded one section (which isn’t safe anyway) or folded all the way back and not clipped in properly, the last section can come loose and be torn away under highway speed. I imagine it coming unfolded and banging down hard enough against the truck to do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got notified today through email by my dealership that there was an open recall on my 2019 RTL-E. I've always kept up on that and taken care of the ones (4) that affected my vehicle promptly so it was news to me. The email stated the following:

Recall #F8M 2017-20 Ridgeline Tonneau Cvr Accsry

I searched online for recall "F8M" but can't find anything. The NHTSA site doesn't have anything either, but it wouldn't be tied to a VIN since it's an accessory.

Does anyone know what this recall is about and what the remedy entails? Odd that it's a recall and not a TSB which means it must be safety-related.
I was notified 9/17/2020 via Honda Link App. about the recall I also got a letter Honda Corporate in October 2020. As I understand it, the recall is about the Honda tonneau cover separating at the hinges and part of it flying off while you're driving and causing an accident. The fix is to put yellow straps on the hinges (like in the front of the cover) so if the hinges break the cover will not come apart. Further down in this thread someone has posted the Service Bulletin on the recall and showing the fix. The problem is, Honda Corporate mailed the recall to all Ridgeline owners they had on record whether they had a tonneau cover or not.

I bought my Honda Tonneau cover 4 months after I bought my Ridgeline from my dealer. They claimed they don't have the parts to fix the recall. I called them each month from September to January 2021 and they claim they don't have the parts and I can't get it fixed. When I called in December they said they would call when the parts came in. I got sent to an answering machine when I called in January.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts