Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A week and a half ago my wife and I went to Dobbs Honda which was what we considered our ' family Honda Dealer ' here in tucson, to purchase a new Ridgeline. We orderd our 2000 Odyssey from them and had all our tune ups and other essentials done by them because of their trusted service department. I had done all my homework and research over the past few weeks and stayed in contact with 5 dealers within 125 miles radius through phone calls and emails. Out of all the dealers I was in contact with their internet department gave me the lowest discount of all,$250.00 off msrp.
My wife was there earlier in the week and one of the head sales managers quoted her $750,00 off msrp. That day I negotiated with their salesman on a blue RTL and after 30 minutes they accepted my offer on the price but the only problem they had was that the truck was sold 45 minutes before and they had no more RTL's like that one to sell. I figured they wasted my time and told the salesman to give me a good discount on the blue RTL with moonroof,etc in the parking lot so he went to talk to the sales manager and after 10 minutes I wlked into his office where he had 4 other salesman and right away he mentioned he thought he made us a generous offer and I told him the other dealer in town made us the same offer and I never spent a penny at that dealer. I also had emails from dealers in phoenix and I showed him one from a dealer stating an otd price of $100.00 over invoice(not incl tax.dealer prep etc.) and he turned around and told me they are lying and that it's just a cost breakdown.
Now it gets good!
I called the phoenix dealer in front of the salesman to see if it was the true OTD price and he said Yes! The salesman told the head manager about the phone call and got really pissed and told me I got a nerve to do that in front of him. I told him I see nothing wrong with it considering I am about to spend $30,000.00 . I also stated that we are there to also pick up my wifes minivan where it just got a new timingbelt job, brake job and side door wheels which totaled $1020.00 and that I should get a better deal on a truck. He said they will only make around $110.00 dollars with what I want to pay and when I mentioned that the factory holdback on that truck is around $1019.00 he stood up and told me to buy it somewhere else then.
Two hours later I was in Chapman Honda in tucson buying a silver RTS for less then $500.00 above invoice. Bryan Martz was my internet contact and he set me up with Patrick Collier who was just awesome to work with. He even showed me trucks up in the parking garage to make sure I was sure of the one that I wanted. We were out the door in around 1:45 minutes which we could not believe. Even the finance person was great to deal with. I got a great price for stepboards ( less then $350.00) I installed them myself, see mods and installs $1.89 rivet nut tool. The atmosphere at that dealer was really relaxed and I felt comfortable making the deal, no pressure at all.
A week and a half later I still can't figure out why a dealer where I have been pumping my money into getting 2 vehicles repaired over the years, gives me a terrible figure on a new truck, by a head manager with an attitude that likes putting customers down in front of other salesman. On the other hand I was introduced to a great dealership, where I was given a great price, by an honest salesman who didn't feed me any b.s. and was happy to work with me.
The best part of it all is watching heads turn everywhere I go with 'my Ridgeline'.
thanks Pat and the rest of the family at Chapman Honda of tucson!

Mike Kennedy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nice looking truck, and great information. Wish I had waited 1 more day for making my deal, but I didn't. Now I am becoming very impatient because I pick my truck up this afternoon. I can't wait anymore ;).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Congratulations Mike and Captmiddy! I am sure that you will be enjoying your new rides. Mike, your story is simply amazing. How someone that is supposedly a sales "Manager" can have the attitude that he did is beyond understanding. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but I doubt it. Just a suggestion though, if the dealership has been decent until now, maybe something has changed - for the worse. How about simply copying your post, printing it and delivering it to the OWNER of that dealership. He may not know what happened to you, and no doubt others, but should be very interested. If you do it, I am sure that the sales "Mangler' will have a bad day, and he deserves it. You would be doing them both a favor, even if you don't owe it to them. At least you found another dealer that understands the concept of good customer relations.

So, how much business do you think the first dealers sales manager with the bad attitude that blew it will cost that dealership after you proudly show your new Ridgeline to your friends and neighbors and tell the story of the two dealerships? I don't think that it is unrealistic to predict that it will cost them between 7 and 10 actual new customer sales within the next two years. Ouch!

Enjoy!

L

·
0 Posts
Congratulations Mike and Captmiddy!! I know you will enjoy that truck for many thousands of miles to come.
Silver!! Great color. ;)

Mike..sometimes in the car business, GM's and SM's get so caught up in the daily need to sell units, they forget that we are his bread and butter. No car sales, no service, no parts, no FOOD!!! All too often I hear those stories. My suggestion to you is send your post here and all of our responses to the dealer principal. At least let him see what reaction this NO TRANSACTION caused his dealership. WAKE THEM UP!!

Enjoy your rides guys!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
At least your story has a happy ending! Best of luck with your truck. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good Job! Chapman has several dealerships here in Phoenix and I will remember your story when shopping again. I also have heard mulitiple horror stories from friends and relatives when buying in Tucson.
I like the color :rolleyes: Where was the picture taken? Sabino Canyon? Watch out for those cougars out there!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had that issue several years ago at the Chevy dealer. I bought new trucks (3) from them every other year and a new one for me each year. They also did all our oil changes and service.

I wanted a new Corvette and when I went in to talk they would not give me a good deal, I went down the street and bought it for 3900.00 less than they wanted. Needless to say I picked up the better deal and stopped back by to explain the other dealer will now take care of us.

I also wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership explaining the issue. He called within a week and apologized and offered to correct the problem, it was to late. I later heard that the gentleman was replaced shortly after for several other deals such as mine.

I own several business's and I always like to hear positive as well as the negative. Let someone know, maybe you will help the next couple that is in the market.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in the Hotel Resort and Spa industry and we service the Rich and powerful stars along with the normal everyday guest whom we treat equally like they are all vip's. We are constantly playing see saw with 3 or 4 other destination spa's of the world who are rated 1 to 5 in the Zaget and Conde Nest rating systems. We make every attempt to keep all our guest happy so they will come back and help support our saleries.
The dealer where I have done businees with since 1999 has just lost my business and 'friendship'. I use the word friendship because my wife and I felt comfortable dealing with their service department and at least there they treated us like family. My wife still wants to bring her van there in the future because of the built up trust with their service department but I am still livid by the treatment of their sales manager who made false accusations of other dealers and basically told me I had no idea what I was talking about.
He probabbly was in a bad mood that day for some reason or another but the fact is Dobbs Honda of Tucson's owners lost a $31,000.00 deal because of him and I found a new dealer to take my business to.
I always remember what my dad told me when I was a kid and that was "Don't take any *hit from anybody".
good riding, Mike :mad:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
MK,

I am a rich and powerful star. Do you have a suite for this weekend in Bali? :)

I manage a customer service organization, and also own my own business on the side. I'm not crazy enough to believe that the customer is always right, but they always get the benefit of the doubt. Customer service can make or break an organization, any organization.

You did the right thing. Enjoy your Ridgeline.

L

·
0 Posts
shovelhd said:
I'm not crazy enough to believe that the customer is always right, but they always get the benefit of the doubt. Customer service can make or break an organization, any organization.

You did the right thing. Enjoy your Ridgeline.
BOY..CAN I EVER ATTEST TO THAT!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
When we were shopping for my wife's first car, it came down to changing something on the radio with another car on the lot. We had worked with the salesman for a couple of weeks and the radio was the only stikcing point. The sales manager said, "I'm not in the business of selling radios!" We stood up and over our shoulder said, "I guess your not in the business of selling cars either!" An hour later, she drove her new car off another lot with the radio she wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts