Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I suck at topic titles. LOL.
Just purchased a 2013 RTL. I have been wanting a Ridgeline for a couple of years now, but we were saving up and it wasn't the right time. Then a 300-year-old oak tree decided it was time. New Year's day it keeled over and crushed the car port and both of our vehicles (a 2005 Ford Expedition and a 2010 Honda CR-V). That makes 5 cars killed by falling oak in the past 10 years. Our previous expedition and CR-V were also crushed by limbs. The 300-year-old tree is now gone, but we kept the 400-year old oak tree alive, albeit rather butchered by the arborists. All the parts that could fall toward the house were removed. We park the Ridgeline a safe distance from the tree just-in-case.

I'm hoping to get a new car port put up and maybe get a detached garage built if possible. I'm tempted to make my own car port once I recover from a recent car accident. After the tree fell, I was in a rental and someone ran a red light and totaled the rental vehicle. No broken bones, but my innards are sore from the seatbelt and I have a few bruises.

I was hoping for a silver RTL since statistically silver cars are involved in fewer accidents, but we ended up with a "taffeta white" one (the price was within reasonable range for us). We had to go out-of-state to get it but the dealer lived 15 minutes away from one of my cousins. So, we got to visit her for the first time in years, her mechanic inspected it, and we drove it home that night.

Here's a pic of it after going down our road a couple of times (we live out in BFE with unpaved roads).

I'm a caregiver for my disabled mother and I usually do the driving, but mother dearest was driving for the last 30 minutes of the ride since my vision was too blurry from fatigue for me to continue driving. She was not paying attention and got the right side in a ditch but managed to drive back out of it with no damage to the vehicle.

We already put a steering wheel cover in to keep it a bit warmer and we are looking in to something for the rear seat to keep dog claws from messing up the leather. For now I have an inexpensive throw blanket on the seat.

I need to find the right running boards and bed cover. I've been reading up on this forum to find the right things. We want the full boards that are nonslip to make it easier for my mother to get in. Her walker fits in the back with the double seat folded up. I saw some Westin boards, but I'm trying to figure out what size boards I should get and still have them fit with the standard wheels. As for bed / tonneau covers, I'm still undecided. I want something that can go through a car wash, won't interfere with the opening of the trunk significantly, is easy to install and open/close, and isn't too expensive. I'll be reading the threads on the covers again soon.

I'm also trying to figure out if my Ridgeline has a sun/climate sensor or if it just has the spot where one can go. I can't tell. I'll take a picture and post it in the morning.

I tried searching the forum and didn't find the exact answer (but maybe I used the wrong search): When the trunk is closed, can water get in? Or is it watertight from the outside?

Any tips and info people feel like sharing would be greatly appreciated!

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that before I bought the truck, the dealer (at a Ford dealership) didn't know how the backup camera worked and couldn't find the code for the screen. He found the answer on where to find the code from this forum. So, thank you for that!

To preserve space on this forum and make it easier to display, I uploaded the dealer pics of my Ridgeline to Tumblr.
Exterior shots
Interior shots

Note: No pics of the trunk since the dealer didn't even know it had a trunk. It sat on the lot for two months because nobody there wanted to buy a Honda truck from a Ford dealer. Plus, it took 5 hours to buy it because they are slooooow at Planet Ford. They must have very high overhead because their lot is HUGE-- they have probably at least 1,000 cars or more for sale and the desks in the finance offices are like something out of the movie Tron-- basically they have built-in huge touchscreen tablets. It's called a "Docu Pad".

Thus far, I really like the way it drives, the trunk, and the backup camera. My brother loves the heated seats and the GPS. My mother liked the leather seats and the mud-catching floormats (which were put over the OEM floormats).

TL: DR? yay! I have a Ridgeline! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Sounds like you live a very exciting and interesting life :)

Congrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC.

Can't help you with the running boards, but I absolutely love my BakFlip bed cover and Pop-n-lock tailgate lock. When we travel I lock my camera and laptop in the trunk and just toss our suitcases in the bed and everything is secure and we have plenty of room in the back seat for coats, road snacks and shopping bags.

I can't remember who, but someone posted photos on the ROC of a platform they built for their dogs. It was really clever and simple to build, might be just the ticket for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on the new RL and welcome to the forum. Looks awesome! Very clean. I don't have a bedcover, so cannot comment on that. Mine came with the OEM step rails/running boards. If you want OEM, check the dealer, ebay, CL, handa.com and rockauto.com. For aftermarket options, check amazon, autoanything.com. Plug in your vehicle info and should tell you whether it fits or not. What part of Texas are you in? My sister in law lives in San Angelo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the ROC. Looks great and very clean. I don't have a tonneau cover so I cannot comment on that part. I'm sure others that do will chime in. Mine came with the factory running boards/step rails. If you want the OEM, then check your dealer or handa.com and rockauto.com, maybe even CL if your lucky. For aftermarket, check autoanything.com and amazon and even eBay. Each source should be able to let you know if it fits. Looks like your in TX. My sister in law lives in San Angelo. Enjoy your new RL!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, Coolbob. I ended up not getting to take pics since my brother found an excuse to use the truck. LOL.
I saw the Pop-n-lock tailgate on Amazon. I believe the the PL8661 is the right fit and color-- although its $161.47 vs the PL8660 (black) which is $149.97. I'm wondering if I could just paint the lock white with some touch-up paint-- or if it really matters.

I'm still reading the thread on the DIY tailgate lock and have not gotten to the end yet. I wonder if someone figured out how to make a DIY version of the manual + power lock. Or convert a manual only to include power. Obviously, I'll find out if I keep reading. And hopefully it would be less expensive than what they are selling online. Even just the power only or manual only retail kits seem to be over $50.

The platform was in the bed of the truck?

My dogs are spoiled and they get to sit inside the cab. One of the reasons for running boards is that they need running boards to get in.

A friend that looked at the truck said we should open the hood and spray everything off with a hose after really muddy days-- guess that means I need to get my PVC and PVC cement out to replace the outside faucet that got broken when the tree fell. It took out a gate. But if the tree had gone at a slightly different angle and landed 5 feet over, it would have come down on my head, so I was lucky.

Can't remember if I mentioned that I live on a farm. I used to have a lot of livestock, but now I'm down to 2 cows, 4 dogs, and 12 cats. I'm currently covered in cats as I'm typing. Two of them are sort of in the way of the keyboard. LOL.

Thus far, I am the only person in this town who has a Ridgeline so it was getting some odd stares when I went to the store the other day.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Welcome to the ROC, nice color RL.
I have the Peragon bed cover and the DIY tailgate lock which work great together. The cover will snap off quickly and fit under the back seat if you need the full bed. The DIY tailgate lock is wired into the back door power-lock wiring, and your key remote locks/unlocks the tailgate with the doors. All for under $20 and some fun if you are up to the task. Here are some links that may help...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43149

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9981&page=9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dog-Seat-Cover-Pet-Waterproof-Back-Rear-Soft-Protector-Car-SUV-Truck-Travel-/151854761150

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi!
Thanks for the links. I read through the whole thread about the diy lock for under $10 earlier. Sadly, some of the photos are no longer available.

I'm leaning toward a setup that will require the least amount of bending of the rod, I think. Although I'm considering alternative methods of attachment. I need to really look at the parts and figure out what part does what and such. I liked YW84U's modifications in post 157, but I'm not sure about the best wiring solution. I want to do it with the least disturbance of seals and easiest / fastest routing possible.

I'm planning to get OEM Rear Splash Guards and have my friend install it. He works for food. LOL. And he'll get to ride in the Ridgeline on the heated seat.

I'm thinking of finding some heating pads (that don't get too hot) and put them under a cover or something on the back seats to have heated seats for passengers and the dogs.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Peragon! It might be awhile before we can get a cover since we need to buy a second vehicle in case of emergencies. We still need to get the roof of the house fixed and have the car port replaced. Not covered by insurance, unfortunately. State Farm dropped us for bogus reasons after a tree outside our yard fell on our barn and totaled it.

If I get a halfway decent amount from the other driver's insurance for pain and suffering, I might be able to get some more accessories- although I would really like to remodel the guest bathroom. I can take down the wall and do the plumbing myself. I'm not a plumber, but studying plumbing code is a bit of a hobby for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I took some photos this morning. The sun position wasn't optimal so I had trouble seeing while I was taking some of the photos-- the trunk pic ended up off-center because I couldn't see jack on my screen. I bought a screen protector from Amazon that was supposed to be anti-glare and anti-smudge but the scam artist sellers removed the real product from the box and replaced it with a cheap knockoff that is not anti-glare nor anti-smudge. At least I got my money back and I think Amazon stopped doing business with them.

More photos

$10 steering wheel cover

Not sure what used to be here-- mechanic said something about a light-- it was broken off. Anyone know what was supposed to be here (driver's door right above the lock)

I think this is where a climate/sun sensor is supposed to go but I don't know if that is just a cover or an actual sensor. Anyone know?

Navigation screen folded down

Floor mats

The back with a layer of dirt

The yard is still a mess after the tree fell-- off to the right is the remains of a fence and wooden gate that were smashed.

Trunk and spare tire

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
In picture #2, the drivers door panel above the lock on mine has a blinking LED, for the alarm. And in picture #3, I believe that is where the DRL sensor for the Canadian model RL' was. Maybe someone else can confirm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In picture #2, the drivers door panel above the lock on mine has a blinking LED, for the alarm. And in picture #3, I believe that is where the DRL sensor for the Canadian model RL' was. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Ah. I guess a blinking LED would get annoying.

What is DRL?

Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daytime Running Lights !
Thanks!

That reminds me, the ad for mine said it came with automatic lights, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the automatic setting to work. In fact, the salesman told me it did not have auto lights and I had to manually turn a knob to turn the lights on.

Is there a way to make it have auto lights?

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
Technically the Headlights/Running Lights are auto, They will shut off when the engine is off and the doors are locked in about few minutes, basically you can't leave them on and run the battery dead.

As for the LED flashing on the Driver's door, it only flashes when the alarm is armed, I've never seen it flashing while driving. I'll take a Pic of mine, it's broken but not as severely as yours. I'm planning on having that door panel open this year and I'm going to see if I can fix it from behind, I think I popped it off when it was relatively new and I was cleaning the door panel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Carsmak!

I had a bit of car trouble today, but fortunately I have a friend who works at autozone. It was slow to start and I kept having to put in the code for the navigation console every time. I decided to take it to Autozone and have my friend check the battery. While he was checking it, the battery completely died-- it was already barely putting anything out-- and we haven't even received the title on it yet. Had to buy a new battery and then will check the terms on the warranty to see if the battery was included. Good thing the battery didn't die until I was somewhere that it could be replaced though. New battery in and I got a battery charger just in case.

Good to know about the lights shutting off automatically. I do miss the light level sensor from the Expedition that would just turn the head lights on automatically. The first few times I drove at night, I forgot to turn the lights on for a few moments because I was so accustomed to the Expedition turning them on for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know what this part is called? The light shines up at the license plate on the back and the bit of plastic around it is broken. I want to see if I can replace that plastic piece but I don't know what it is called.

It wasn't like that when I first looked at the truck before buying it and I suspect the car dealership people broke it while washing the truck before handing it over to us.

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
Not sure what part that is, but I need part of one of those also.

I'm going to send that picture to myself to do some research, when I find it I'll let you know

The clear plastic lenses on both sides are fogged similar to what is common on plastic headlights.

Reactions: zannej

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you very much, Dnick!
I need to clean that bumper off and see if it is dark gray or black. I think it's supposed to be black, but I'm not sure.

Looks like it's 34121-sjc-a11za. I wonder if that includes the light part... And I wonder how difficult it is to replace.

I'm thinking of getting Honda logo stainless steel door lock cover plates. It's $4.50 (for 4) with free shipping on aliexpress.

I wish they made stuff like that to cover the screws on the tie-down spots in the pickup bed.

I discovered a DVD player under the seat.

No idea how to get it to work though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts