Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I m in the market for a truck and options are F-150 supercrew and Ridgeline. First question is why Ridgeline over F-150? Second question is, isn't the engine in the Ridgeline the same as in the Pilot? They are both 3.5 liter 255 horse.

Last question, i really need to know how tough this truck is. can anyone give me a personal experience they had with a ridgeline to show the durability of it?

i am a die hard honda fan but not yet convinced that a ridgeline is a true truck.

thanks all!
-James

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The engine is similar to the Pilot engine but it is not the same. The Ridgeline engine has been reworked to deal with the towing and other features needed to be a truck.

I don't think we can easily answer your other questions because the why over F150 is really based on your specific needs set, we don't know why you need a truck and for us to say you should get a Ridgeline without that information would be a mistake and may make us seem silly when you get a Ridgeline and then come on to say it can't do X where X was a reason you should have bought a full sized pickup instead of a mid sized pickup. Durability is the same, durable where? It has a more ridged body frame, but its long term durability can't be gauged over just a 3 month existence. What are you going to do with your truck. If you are talking about the bed, the bed is a composit bed right away, so you don't have to get a liner for your truck. If you are planning to rough off-road ride this truck, it isn't a 4x4 vehicle, it is an AWD vehicle. It doesn't have Low 4x4 capabilities. This truck is rated for mild to mid-level offroad capabilities. If you want to go crazy and such this may not be the truck for you.

I will just keep coming back to the question of why you need a truck and what your intentions for it are. This is the only way we can really feed information to you that may be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
captmiddy said:
The engine is similar to the Pilot engine but it is not the same. The Ridgeline engine has been reworked to deal with the towing and other features needed to be a truck.

I don't think we can easily answer your other questions because the why over F150 is really based on your specific needs set, we don't know why you need a truck and for us to say you should get a Ridgeline without that information would be a mistake and may make us seem silly when you get a Ridgeline and then come on to say it can't do X where X was a reason you should have bought a full sized pickup instead of a mid sized pickup. Durability is the same, durable where? It has a more ridged body frame, but its long term durability can't be gauged over just a 3 month existence. What are you going to do with your truck. If you are talking about the bed, the bed is a composit bed right away, so you don't have to get a liner for your truck. If you are planning to rough off-road ride this truck, it isn't a 4x4 vehicle, it is an AWD vehicle. It doesn't have Low 4x4 capabilities. This truck is rated for mild to mid-level offroad capabilities. If you want to go crazy and such this may not be the truck for you.

I will just keep coming back to the question of why you need a truck and what your intentions for it are. This is the only way we can really feed information to you that may be helpful.

Thanks for replying captmiddy. i am a weekend DIY'r and sometimes haul large loads. nothing more than a fridge, 20 sheets of drywall, or 200 2x4's. i may get a 4x8 trailer and haul landscape stuff or even have to pull a u-haul or 16' boat.

It's mostly going to be a daily driver with my little girls car seat in the back. But i need assurance that when i need to call on the ridgeline for semi heaver loads that it will come through.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey JV,

If you look through the posts, you should find some threads and pics of other's who have loaded their RL up with lumber or landscaping supplies. From what I recall, most have said that besides a little tail sag they couldn't tell there was a load in the back. I bought mine on the premise that I'd be buying several sheets of drywall or siding at a time but I haven't had the opportunity to load her up yet, just been too busy with work and other projects. However, I can't say enough about the day to day ride of the RL.

·
Registered
460 Posts
JV, sounds like the rl will fit you like a glove.........work and family. comfort and character. some on here have stated pulling 19 foot boat/trailer/passengers, and no problems in any way.........thats a pretty good test, sounds like thats the max you would need it for right? a 16 ft boat? everything else should be gravy.............. ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
jvtran said:
Thanks for replying captmiddy. i am a weekend DIY'r and sometimes haul large loads. nothing more than a fridge, 20 sheets of drywall, or 200 2x4's. i may get a 4x8 trailer and haul landscape stuff or even have to pull a u-haul or 16' boat.

It's mostly going to be a daily driver with my little girls car seat in the back. But i need assurance that when i need to call on the ridgeline for semi heaver loads that it will come through.
Oh it will definitely handle this. Heck my old Forester could have handled this if you got past the torture of loading it. I do some furniture building when I get time (which has been none lately). I definitely bought this to carry 3/4" plywood and the like. Within the limits of the cargo capacity (~1500lb including passenger weight) I don't think there is going to be any issue using this truck to meet my needs. There are pictures and discussions on this site that get into the use of a bed extension device that hooks into the trailer hitch which may be of interest to you. Personally for what I move it probably isn't going to be an issue, but if you are moving Drywall having something to hold up the very end may be more important. The minor warping that may happen for plywood can be brought out by letting the wood relax and reaclimate to your building environment.

Your little girl will also find the ride much more smooth for the nap in the car seat ;). Although I guess an F150 could be more of an adventure for her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for replying. This information hasl been very useful especially with it coming from the actual owners.

The only thing now is that i wish Honda would offer 0% financing in my area... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
jvtran said:
Thanks all for replying. This information hasl been very useful especially with it coming from the actual owners.

The only thing now is that i wish Honda would offer 0% financing in my area... :rolleyes:
yea, you and me both...........honda, doesn't do gimmick rebates and does not regularly offer financing specials....never known them to off 0%. shop around, try credit unions, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a ford 150 person for 10 yrs and gave it up after riding around in a Ridgeline for the weekend.I do landscaping and was able to put12- 30 pound bags of mulch in the bed and it didn't even fill like it was back there. I have 17ft boat and again it wasn't back there. I really like my new truck and would suggest this truck to anyone.The mileage is better than the 150. I'm getting between 19 and 22 mile's to the gallon. RTS.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Theflowerose said:
I have been a ford 150 person for 10 yrs and gave it up after riding around in a Ridgeline for the weekend.I do landscaping and was able to put12- 30 pound bags of mulch in the bed and it didn't even fill like it was back there. I have 17ft boat and again it wasn't back there. I really like my new truck and would suggest this truck to anyone.The mileage is better than the 150. I'm getting between 19 and 22 mile's to the gallon. RTS.
welcome theflowerose...........outstanding. :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Six months of the year my Ridgeline is a work truck. I'm in the middle of that six months and not a bobble. Good roads, bad roads, ditches, turn rows, fields and just about anywhere farmers are farming. I can go off a road at a steep angle and my Ridgeline is solid as a rock. No twisting or growning.

The ride is just great as I'm sure you have read here. Well it's just better than that. There is no comparison with a Ford 150, Chev. 1500 or a Dodge.

The transmission has been reworked for towing and the engine has a great history. The AWD has the backgrown of the MDX and Pilot so it's been around awhile.

I have 12,785 miles and it is just a great truck.

Tiger

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Don't forget the Consumer Reports report for July as well as the NIHTSA crash test results....two very good reasons outside of us owners telling you its the best truck on the road!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Good point. Consumer Reports rated the Ridgeline #1 for all trucks half-ton and smaller. I have used my Ridgeline for weekend work also. My wife and I are putting in our backyard and filling our new house with furniture. I severely over estimated the amount of sod I would need and had to bring almost an entire pallet back. I did two trips. The sod would have been over the sides of the bed and I didn't have anything to secure the load at the time. Both trips were amazing as far as the ride and still having some acceleration to get on the interstate.

I would also invite you to the following web site: http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_compact_ridgeline_fullsize/

I have read other articles referring to the Ride and Drive Honda had for the press where they brought in a 5.7L F-150. Most writers, if not all, stated that the Ridgeline does a great job of keeping up with the big engine on the F-150.

Unless you are building a house or live a long distance from a home improvement store, you will be very happy with the Ridgeline. One extra trip to the store every now and then (if that is even needed) is not as important to me as comfort, fuel ecomony, and above all -- safety.

The dealer told me that even with 500 lbs loaded in the bed, the Ridgeline will get 5 stars in every crash test and the load will not intrude on the cab!! Honda really is striving for "Safety for Everyone".

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I had 800 lbs. in the bed and just barely felt it. I'm sure others have loaded it to the hilt. The major differences between an F-150 and the Ridgeline are towing capacity and bed length (other than size, mileage, and other obvious things). If you can do with a 5' bed and don't need to load more than 1,500lbs. in the bed and tow over 5,000lbs, the Ridgeline is worth a very serious look.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How 'bout 1200lbs of landscape materials in a 5ft bed for tough? This vehicle is perfect for the weekend DIY'er. You get the truck functionality for the weekend and car-like handling for normal commuting. While I have never been inside an F-150, I can guarantee you that the Ridgeline is more refined, handles better, will protect you better in the event of a collision and will turn heads on the road. When was the last time an F150 drew attention?

As you can see, this little club of Ridgeline owners is VERY passionate about our vehicles!! Come join the fun- buy a Ridge!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I traded in a '97 F150 Extended cab on my Ridgeline RTS. There's no comparison. The RL rides much better and has better acceleration. My F150 was the 4.2L V6 and you had to really try to go over 80...I went to pass someone and looked down to see I was doing 85 in the blink of an eye without trying at all.

As for sheetrock / construction material...4 ft wide material (standard width of sheetrock) will lay flat in the bed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
jeffiam said:
yea, you and me both...........honda, doesn't do gimmick rebates and does not regularly offer financing specials....never known them to off 0%. shop around, try credit unions, etc.
I actually got a 4.3% financing at my dealer. It wasn't through AHFC though, even though I've bought through them.

Not a bad rate. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the site but have had my RTS for about 3 months....I love it. Speaking of hauling....I used mine to haul my boat: 2005 Seadoo Challenger 180....I'm not sure of the exact weight--I'd guess somewhere around 3700-3800lbs loaded with gear and fuel....pulls fine. I will say that I only got around 10 mpg one occasion---but, I was running over 80 mph and had the A/C at max. blow!!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I will say that I only got around 10 mpg one occasion---but, I was running over 80 mph and had the A/C at max. blow!!
My advice is to slow down just a bit and live to make it to senior posting status on this forum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts