Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This product is a perfect fit. At 47" wide, you can mount this thing either at the foward bed floor, at the rear floor or on the inside tailgate. I test fitted a 15 inch GT hardtail mountain bike with 2.1 tires and it still had roughly 2 inches of clearances front and back with the track test fitted on the floor of the bed. If you are a tall person with a bike that has a longer wheel base, test fit(place but DO NOT BOLT) the mount to the rear of your bed floor, mount the fork to the fork mount, while standing in the bed carefully pull the rear of your bike up and swivel the rear of the bike towards one of the front corner points of your bed and if that works for you, you are good to go. The TRACK includes the hardware to bolt to the bed and the hardware attach the Saris fork mounts. FORK MOUNTS ARE SOLD SEPARTELY. I bought the track and two mounts for under $98.00 after tax.
This rack is ideal for anyone who wants a way to transport there two wheeled steed to the trailhead.
PS. If you are not going to bolt the track to the floor, it fits perfectly in your bed floor trunk when you are not hauling your bike around and the rubber tips keep it from moving and scratching the inside walls. ;)
http://www.saris.com/products/traps47singletrack.htm
READ THIS BEFORE YOU DO ANY DRILLING!
Consult an authorized honda dealer service advisor for best placement and any concerns of water tightness if holes are to be drilled into your bedliner!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
conchflats said:
SOUNDS GREAT,
I found a rack that requires no bolting it ties down in the tailgate gap. It is a snap to use and it fit easy into the trunk when not in use. The best feature is you do not remove a wheel which is a time saver .
http://rackoutfitters.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=433
Too Cool...I saw that one too. I really like the idea of not taking the front tire off. The only thing that stopped me was knowing that my bike wouldn't fit into bed with the front wheel on and the tail gate closed (That's just a personal preference.) and not knowing the lateral stability of the strap system. I would really like to see a pic of your bike mounted using that hardware. I might change my mind and go buy that one too! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will take a photo on my next ride . The bike fits by placing the rear tire in the rack and then turning the front wheel sidways against the front of the bed .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
conchflats said:
I will take a photo on my next ride . The bike fits by placing the rear tire in the rack and then turning the front wheel sidways against the front of the bed .
I didn't even think of that...cant wait to see the pic. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

looks like a great rack for the rather short bed we have to deal with on the Ridge. Quesiton for you: did you have to drill the bed to hold the rack down or do you just let it float and if so what keeps the bike and rack from bouncing out of the truck?
I presume some holes in the bed/trunk lid with a couple of wingnuts would secure it - but leave holes that allow moisture into the trunk.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Rube Goldberg PVC bike rack, it took about 30 minutes to build and I used about $20. worth of materials.

Two 10' lengths of 3/4" or 1" PVC, 14 tee's, 2 elbows and 2 caps.

I do not recall the dimension on the down tubes, I made them just long enough so the tire hits the front of the bed and rolls over the lower tube to act as a chock.

I did not glue the pieces together, so I can pull it apart and throw it in the trunk.

I had been working in the yard all day, my wife thought I was putting in sprinklers, My son asked what it was, I told him we were converting and I was making a menora.

It works great for four bikes, you still need to tie them in, I used some adjustable nylon straps with plasic hooks on them that came on an old Yakima rack I used in the past, they worked great. You can cut the spacers on the tee's to fif what ever size tires you have. Made mine wide for my son and his freinds down hill bikes. I ride cross country and my tire is a little sloppy, you can actualy make them on tight side since the the PVC will flex to fit.

By the By My Ridge is steel blue, I had a new Santa Cruz Blur ordered in white, changed the order when I found that the blue anodized frame was nearly a perfect color match for the truck.

Steve

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Nice innovation using the PVC. NOw just get some Krylon Fusion spray paint (they claim it will stick to anything) and paint that rack black so it 'disappears' into the bed.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Steve do you mind if I make a copy of your invention I promise not to sell it to Yakima or Thule.

I was also thinking about having mine sprayed with Rhino liner, give it that lasting feeling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Steve,

What a great idea, I use PVC to make wing and plane holders ( RC ), and intead to make something very similar to under tonneau cover to hold them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
At some point I'm going to make a fishing pole holder using a tension bar that they sell for pick-up cargo. That might be something to use for this application. It holds really tight without any drilling needed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
No I have no objection to anyone copying my design for their own use, I would hope that it may evolve and improve.
If I made another one it would be with black or grey PVC and made of one inch material to make the top cross tube a little less flexy, I did consider filling this one with expanding foam or inserting fiberglass rod on the top tube to stiffen it.

If Yakima or Thule start making them I have a dated web site picture to prove first production.

Steve

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Maybe you should talk to them. They might give you a couple grand for you idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve! Get That Patented! One Of Those Big Rack Companies Will Probably Buy That Design Off You. I Have A Friend Who Had Something To Do With The Tail Hitch Rack That Swings Out Of The Way So You Can Open A Tail Gate...you Never Know...great Innovation Steve.

·
Registered
492 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
Here are some pictures of my Rube Goldberg PVC bike rack, it took about 30 minutes to build and I used about $20. worth of materials.

Two 10' lengths of 3/4" or 1" PVC, 14 tee's, 2 elbows and 2 caps.

I do not recall the dimension on the down tubes, I made them just long enough so the tire hits the front of the bed and rolls over the lower tube to act as a chock.

I did not glue the pieces together, so I can pull it apart and throw it in the trunk.

I had been working in the yard all day, my wife thought I was putting in sprinklers, My son asked what it was, I told him we were converting and I was making a menora.

It works great for four bikes, you still need to tie them in, I used some adjustable nylon straps with plasic hooks on them that came on an old Yakima rack I used in the past, they worked great. You can cut the spacers on the tee's to fif what ever size tires you have. Made mine wide for my son and his freinds down hill bikes. I ride cross country and my tire is a little sloppy, you can actualy make them on tight side since the the PVC will flex to fit.

By the By My Ridge is steel blue, I had a new Santa Cruz Blur ordered in white, changed the order when I found that the blue anodized frame was nearly a perfect color match for the truck.

Steve
Steve,

What holds the PVC to the bed? Is it wedged in? Looks cool. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Gravity holds the PVC down for the most part. I did put some lite bungies around the upper tie downs but in reality they are not needed, the real strength and support is provided by the ties used from the rear tiedowns to the bike frames. the PVC just keeps the wheels spaced and seprated at the front of the bed. When putting four bikes in I alternate the bike position ( front wheel rear wheel) to keep the bars from interfering with each other.

Again the real support comes from the tie downs, I initialy tried bungies on the back, that did not work well nothing fell off but it makes the bikes look like the Jamacan bobsled team in the corners. Rope or nylon straps work much better.

Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's another idea even though the rack retails $160, Saris Kool Rack. At Nashbar it's called the Graber Kool Rack. I wanted something that would allow access to the trunk with the bikes still attached, it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
TCW said:
Here's another idea even though the rack retails $160, Saris Kool Rack. At Nashbar it's called the Graber Kool Rack. I wanted something that would allow access to the trunk with the bikes still attached, it works great.
Great find. Thanks for the pictures. I will order one today.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here are a couple more in with the bikes facing forward. Another added benefit is that the rack can be used to secure carge, becasue it's so easily moved, all you do is pump the integrated handle to engage it then push the release button to release it. Of course this feature makes it an easiy ripped-off item, so when we start a ride we put it back in the trunk for safe keeping while we're on the trail. The removal process takes nore more than ten seconds and putting it back in place about the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
I always like to be able to say this with out getting slapped. Great rack TCW.

My son and his freinds are down hill racers, getting the thru bolts out of the front wheel can be a real chore, not a quick release like on you Cross Country machines. So this type of rack is not as suitable for their bikes. It would work great for Me, my wife's and my freinds bikes (Geezer mobiles by my sons standards). My son used to ride with me and my wife, but he is too cool to ride uphill now, he has moved on to 40+lb Kamakazi bikes. I remember when I could dust him down hill.

I also like the idea that you can close the tail gate with the bikes loaded.

I see a K2 Razorback and is that a Connodale Super Vee or a Trek next to it? My wife rides a Razorback, what kind of riding do you do and where?

Steve Frost

1 - 20 of 25 Posts