Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to add Sirius radio to my Ridgeline RTL and its radio receiver? Or do I have to have the external radio receiver that connects to my radio? I prefer Sirius over XM?

XM is expensive to add and I like Sirius more.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
578 Posts
No there's no Sirrius receiver for the Ridgeline or any Honda for that matter. There's a reason for that. Honda has a stake in XM Radio.

·
Registered
123 Posts
go4bal,
I tried aftermarket Sirius satellite radio in my previous ride (as well as nav system) and got those as options on my Ridge. I used the JVC KT SR-2000 auto kit:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/ser...5&catParentID=7877&scId=7877&oldParentID=7870

Worked fine; has built in fm transmitter so you just tune to an unused FM station to receive on your stereo. The sat antenna is a magnetic disk you place on your roof. The install recommends concealing the wire and running to back of roof of vehicle, but I just ran the wires over the sunshades and past the driver's side door seals onto the roof. Worked fine for the 6 months I used it.

Come to think of it, I need to sell it now that I have XM.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Guys:

Just a quick note. XM is not more expensive. You'd be surprised on what you'll find here at ROC if you dedicate the time to research.

XM for $6.41 per month? Um, yeh, beat that sirus.

Click here to learn how

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
Sirius is more expensive but only slightly. And to me, the extra price is worth it because I can stream the music stations on my PC and I'm on one all day at work and much of the night at home. I'm not always in my vehicle, so it's nice to have that extra option. Aside from that, I think it's just a programming choice. I like Sirius a lot and I've had it for about a year. In fact, I'll have to renew because I can't do without it. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Sirius at home on my Dish Network television and I love it.

If I add it to me RL, I assume that I have to add the extra handset receiver.

I am not interesting in fronting the $350 - $400 to add the XM to my RTL since I may not like it as much.

David

·
Registered
616 Posts
T Mac said:
Sirius is more expensive but only slightly. And to me, the extra price is worth it because I can stream the music stations on my PC and I'm on one all day at work and much of the night at home. I'm not always in my vehicle, so it's nice to have that extra option. Aside from that, I think it's just a programming choice. I like Sirius a lot and I've had it for about a year. In fact, I'll have to renew because I can't do without it. :)
You can Stream XM too.. I am listening to it now.

But, I would prefer sirius for the NFL coverage and Radio Margaritaville. Oh well, $6.41 per month for XM is not too bad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Never had Sirius to compare it against XM, then again I didn't have XM until just recently. I believe that XM has MLB and Sirius gets NFL, my wife would prefer MLB to NFL so XM would probably have been her choice if we were to get a satellite radio. If you add in the fact that to get to the Sirius web site I must have Flash, Sirius isn't in contention, I dislike inaccessible pages.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have SIRIUS and love it! It's more expensive than XM but if you want more sports channels, it's SIRIUS. Here are links from their sites advertising their content:

SIRIUS & XM

I had some issues accessing SIRIUS online using their player a month ago, but it somehow fixed itself (could've been me just updating the plug-in, or their tech support listening to my complaints). It's all good now :D

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have Sirius and I love it (carries all of the NFL football games and starting in '07 will carry all of the NASCAR races). Our primary unit is a factory BMW one in my wife's car. The secondary unit is mine and is a portable unit that moves from my various vehicles to my home or to a mated "boom box." One key on vehicle installation is to install a direct FM connection from your portable unit to your antennae (I purchased mine from a car stereo/radio shop for $20). This eliminates the problem of finding a free FM channel to transmit to. For ease of portability, I mounted the base unit to a PVC pipe connection that sets in a free cup holder -- really easy to move from vehicle to vehicle (each vehicle has its own antennae and direct FM connector).

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did not know that Honda had a stake in XM.

I am disappointed that since the two systems are not interchangeable that manufacturers do not give the choice to the consumer.

I almost bought a Volkswagen GTI but I needed a car that weekend and there were none available with Sirius, only with XM so I decided to pass it up.

If there weren't so many other redeeming factors about the Ridgeline I'd have passed it up too.

I suppose it's obvious that I'm a fan of Sirius and not so much of XM.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I called crutchfield and they are coming out with a module that will let you get sirius throught the head unit. There was no release date for that at the time.I call them in April or early May.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that there are units coming out in the near future that will receive both XM and Sirius.

·
Registered
25 Posts
T Mac said:
You can do the PC streaming thing with XM, too...

·
Registered
268 Posts
kkealy said:
You can do the PC streaming thing with XM, too...
Not just on PCs either... I listen to it on my cell phone too. Works great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 RTL (no nav). I'm not interested in XM and I want to get Sirius. What is the easiest way to do it and get the best sound. I heard Soundgate has a conversion box but it will not work with radios that have XM tuners? Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts