Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered before, but if so I can't find the right thread. I have a 2007 RL Canadian model OEM radio,6 disc changer, aux button but no XM button, no Nav, but with subwoofer. I've ordered a USASpec BT45-HON3 Bluetooth adapter, that has an extra aux input port. Ideally, I'd like a tuner that can plug into the aux input of the BT adapter so that all the wiring will be behind the dash and not visible. Am having trouble identifying a tuner that doesn't require an "XM Ready" input. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've come to the conclusion that what I was looking for doesn't exist. In the hope of saving another neophyte a couple of hours of fruitless searching, here are my conclusions. Needless to say, if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be corrected!

1. There is no way to connect a SiriusXM tuner to a non-XM Honda OEM radio and maintain control over the channel selection from the OEM radio. You can attach a so-called dock & play Sirius or XM radio to the AUX input of the OEM radio, but this has the disadvantages that you have a fairly ugly radio attached to your dash or hanging from an air vent, you have visible wires dangling inside the cabin (i.e. power cord to lighter socket, audio wire to the back of the OEM radio, and antenna wire).

2. There are two options, (1) swap the non XM radio for a Honda OEM radio that is marked XM on the front (mine is not), or (2) swap the non-XM radio for an aftermarket radio that is XM ready, of which there are many choices.

3. The problem with (2) (2) is that you lose steering wheel control of audio and channels unless you buy an adapter, and you lose the existing subwoofer unless you add an amplifier. Considering this option, though, took me a couple of hours because if you think about replacing the OEM radio, you then need to decide whether you want a radio with Apple's CarPlay (Alpine or Pioneer), whether you want to install a rear camera given the possibility that a new head offers, and whether you wish to display Nav information on the screen of the new radio, v.s. looking at Nav information on your iPhone or iPad.

4. I've come to the conclusion that Sirius XM for me for my RL is not worth the hassle. What I've done instead is to buy a USA Spec BT45-HON3 adapter that will give me excellent handsfree telephone operation and music via my iPhone. I'm going to install an audible reverse alarm which I think is better for me than a rear camera. This way, I retain steering wheel control of the audio and radio, and retain the subwoofer, and there are no ugly wires in the cabin.

5. Your mileage may differ, but if I'm wrong about there not being an easy and relatively inexpensive fix to the problem please let me know!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm going to install an audible reverse alarm which I think is better for me than a rear camera. This way, I retain steering wheel control of the audio and radio, and retain the subwoofer, and there are no ugly wires in the cabin.
danbee, please your progress installing the audible reverse alarm for us! I'm interested in doing this as well.

TIA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't intend to install the reverse alarm myself. It looks difficult-I've seen 6 hrs estimate, but imagine a pro could do it in half the time. There are quite a few YouTube videos on the subject-Google Ridgeline reverse alarm. Here's a link to one YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxylX7kIFKw

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Backup audible sensors for RL

Update on installation of reverse audible alert system: My installer chose a Crimestoppers alarm, with an LED display. After one look at the RL, he said, "We have to remove the rear bumper. That's the only way we can ensure that no wires are exposed." In removing the bumper, they broke a clip, but that was easily replaced. When I picked up the truck, I wasn't able with my old ears to hear the back-up alert, although the installer said he could hear it. They had placed the signal unit behind the dash, which was not very smart, given that it has an LED display that displays distance. So, they moved it to the rear view mirror, where it sits on top with double sided masking tape. It works perfectly, and since you generally are looking at the mirror when backing up, the position is fine, tells you the distance as well as warning you with audible signals. I'm very pleased with it, and especially pleased I didn't try to do it myself!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts