Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reversing in a crowded parking lot and to my surprise the back up sensor started beeping. I double checked before I reversed and I thought there was nothing there...apparently I was wrong. This is my first truck and I'm still getting accustomed to the height and blind spots. I really recommend the back up sensors...it saved me.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
The back up sensors are a necessity but the camera is even better. I have had back-up cameras on 2 vehicles so far including my '05 Ody and I find it to be indispensible.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I decided to defintenly get the camera now. The problem is I also want a shell/cap and it looks like the rear cap window will probably over hang where the camera is mounted. I'll have to wait to get the cap first and then bring it in to get the camera installed hopefully it will fit at a different position. If not, I'll write to MTV to pimp my ride.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
If you call MTV to "pimp" your ride be prepared to get spinners!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bongus,

I was inspired by your back-up sensor story and checked the installation instruction. It is 103 disgram and 23 pages long. How difficult was it for you to install the BU sensor? Please advice. Alot of us would like to know.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue said:
Bongus,

I was inspired by your back-up sensor story and checked the installation instruction. It is 103 disgram and 23 pages long. How difficult was it for you to install the BU sensor? Please advice. Alot of us would like to know.
I wish I was that brave, I negotiated a deal for the part and install when I bought the car...they also installed the fog lights. I really wanted to install it myself but I just was not brave enough.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I should have considered getting the accessories when I was buying so not to pay for installation fee. Is there any way I can still bargain with the dealer now?

This is my first truck and I did not realize there is so much customizing possibilities, so accessories did not even occur to me.

Attention, RL buyers, decide what accessories you want to install before paying for the truck! You can probably save $2k in install!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Blue said:
I should have considered getting the accessories when I was buying so not to pay for installation fee. Is there any way I can still bargain with the dealer now?

This is my first truck and I did not realize there is so much customizing possibilities, so accessories did not even occur to me.

Attention, RL buyers, decide what accessories you want to install before paying for the truck! You can probably save $2k in install!
There's always room for bargaining, some money is better than none. Best to do when buying the truck as you have the most leverage at that point but I've found they'll still deal afterwords, just gotta call around, some dealers want your money more than others.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could have used some of that saving. :(

My wife backed our Ridge out of her mother's driveway right into a Malibu's front fender. One of those "I swear it was clear two seconds ago!" scenarios. Fortunately (?) it was at slow speed.
We ended up with the bumper having a pea-size paint chip, a slight crease in the corner and some minor scratches in the pattern of the car's wheelwell. Most of it isn't really that visible unless you look at it at an angle or depending on the lighting. I just received my touch-up paint which I had ordered a while ago from my dealer (prescient???), and fixed up the paint chip. It's not perfect but I can live with it. It is, after all, a truck!
The other guy got a nice little dent and some scratching. He agreed with my offer of having me pay for repairs without going through insurance. $600 :(
That's $600 that could have paid for a backup sensor! Guess what I ordered next?

Then I checked out the HandA site to see the install instructions. They have to take half the truck apart :eek: . I decided to cancel that order. Not too crazy about the extent of dismantling. Partly a lack of confidence in the mechanics (strictly my own impression) and partly out of concern that once you take something apart, it's never the same. I've been lucky with my Ridge. No problems with it. Like to keep it that way.
Interestingly, I think the service manager was secretly relieved. Didn't give me any flack about having to return the parts. I don't think he really wanted to take on this task.

So now I'm considering a wireless system. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

BTW...One of the first things I told my wife when we picked up our Ridge was that we should get backup sensors. This truck's a little tricky backing up. "Oh no...we'll get used to it". Well guess who's a convert now :rolleyes:. This is one "I told you so..." that I really hate to use!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Henry, I agree with you.....Since I did not get navi, the camera is out. So one of the last two major accessories left for me include the back-up sensors (and then the tow package...)

There are some threads on other aftermarket back-up sensors if you do a search. I'd cut and paste it but I don't know how to do it.

But basically I decided I am going to have it dealer installed (like you, too much dismantling and stuff). I am shopping around between dealership service departments because I am getting a varied price....

Good luck on your search and let us know what you ended up with!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the backup sensors installed when I bought my truck, and have been very glad I did ever since. They have saved me from hitting things a number of times, but the most important time was when a small child ran behind my truck in a parking lot as I began backing out of a stall. The sensors suddenly started beeping fast, I slammed on my brakes, the kid kept running and porbably never saw me. I figure the cost of the sensors has already been saved, and over the life of the truck, they will pay for themselves many times over.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Buying them at purchase time probably won't save you an install fee (unless they are small items). If installation takes a significant amount of time, the dealer still has to pay the Honda Certified Technician to install them at $70-80 an hour on average. They aren't likely to eat too much of that cost.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Wow. Honda Certified Technicians make $80/hr? I'm in the wrong business. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
HenryHonda said:
So now I'm considering a wireless system. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
BTW...One of the first things I told my wife when we picked up our Ridge was that we should get backup sensors. This truck's a little tricky backing up. "Oh no...we'll get used to it". Well guess who's a convert now :rolleyes:. This is one "I told you so..." that I really hate to use!
Don't bother with the wireless ones, I bought them and put countless hours into them only to rip them out. Too many false signals and sometimes didn't work when they were supposed to. I'd say they had about a 50% reliability. Stick with the Honda ones or the radar hitch or bumper mount ones:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1119

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
SSquire said:
They don't make that, that's their labor rate. It includes their pay, shop overhead and management 'taxes'.
I knew that, I just wasn't sure if you knew that.

SSquire said:
the dealer still has to pay the Honda Certified Technician to install them at $70-80 an hour on average.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts