Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Quick question for you G2 Ridge experts. Are you suggesting that when stuck in the snow, to use Sand mode to escape? Isn't the snow mode enough or is that like we do in the G1 by disabling VSA in order to get enough wheel spin to power through certain situation?

I'd have to go back to ground school if I ever moved from my G1 Ridge to the G2 Ridge. Or so it sounds. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Central UP of Michigan. It is a nice place to visit speed :)

I worked outside a lot in my day. I don't like the cold anymore either! Even less now that we bail for most of the winter

Just give me one button to make it go away when I want...like deep heavy snow. There is certainly much merit to SC/TC systems, but in heavy snow with the G1, I always disabled it. Especially on non highway unplowed roads
Same on my G1 Ridge. In deep snow, I prefer to drive with VSA disabled. That throttle modulation kills my momentum just when I need it most.

And the UP? Sounds like a nice place to visit. In August. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quick question for you G2 Ridge experts. Are you suggesting that when stuck in the snow, to use Sand mode to escape? Isn't the snow mode enough or is that like we do in the G1 by disabling VSA in order to get enough wheel spin to power through certain situation?

I'd have to go back to ground school if I ever moved from my G1 Ridge to the G2 Ridge. Or so it sounds. ;)
Careful using sand mode in snow, it does provide a large rear power bias if I recall correctly 70% but it also disables the ABS system. Your best bet is going to be the VSA disable procedure. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
Is that (TCS) something in the G2 Ridge? My G1 Ridge only has VSA and functions just like your description of TCS whereby it brakes a spinning wheel to transfer power to the opposite side. Of course that only works on the front wheels since the rear wheels are independently driven by the VTM-4 system and there's no way for left-right power transfer by braking the spinning wheel... or none that I know of... or recall.
The G1 has traction control and stability control just like the G2 - that's what "VSA" is. The difference is that turning VSA off in the G1 completely disables stability control and allows for more wheel spin than the G2. With VSA off in the G1, the engine will still reduce power if you get too stupid in an attempt to protect the drivetrain.

Careful using sand mode in snow, it does provide a large rear power bias if I recall correctly 70% but it also disables the ABS system. Your best bet is going to be the VSA disable procedure. IMO
The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) cannot be disabled.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, that is something that I am unsure of to be 100% but I want to say the G2 has VSA and no TCS. My buddies Outback had TCS and I was not so much a fan. Of the brake hold system. Just didn’t seem to accomplish much with me in the snow w/ all seasons.

I'm looking at the pages from the CD manual and the G2 still has both. I can't copy and paste from the PDF file, but it's page 462/463

·
Registered
108 Posts
The G1 has traction control and stability control just like the G2 - that's what "VSA" is. The difference is that turning VSA off in the G1 completely disables stability control and allows for more wheel spin than the G2. With VSA off in the G1, the engine will still reduce power if you get too stupid in an attempt to protect the drivetrain.

NO MODE disables the ABS (Anti-lock Braking System).
Guess their is no way to mimic an old fashioned straight axle “dumb truck” where you can just get a good run and give consistent steady throttle and plow your way through. Sad

Also, are you sure sand mode does not alter ABS maybe not disable but I remember reading about ABS being altered to allow for the tires to build up sand piles in front of the tire rather than rolling over them?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm betting, once you get your new tires on, things will improve a lot. I had plenty of tread left with the original Firestones at about 23k miles but they sucked in anything that was not bone dry. I got a set of Michelin DEFENDER LTX M/S tires and the truck feels like it is on rails (they are a bit noisy though).

My personal opinion is that the OEM Firestone tires on the G2 are garbage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@zroger73
Found some more info on the ABS system I am referring to. It is often referred to as “Off Road ABS” and it is defined as (allowing for better wheel lock-up on loose surfaces such as gravel, snow, sand, and loose dirt. Can’t find if it is indeed incorporated into the RL modes or not but looks like multiple jeep models have it.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Hmm. I don't recall the VSA being only partially disabled via the cabin switch (except for when it detects low air pressure). What I do seem to recall, is that by pulling the 20A VSA fuse in the secondary unhood fuse box, you can disable VSA completely so you can air down for sand. And iirc, that also disables ABS too which is useful for descents on loose terrain. And provides lots of lights on the panel for entertainment purposes. ;)

And VSA=TCS was the point I was trying to make upthread.

And... I don't think I put enough 'ands' in that paragraph.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmm. I don't recall the VSA being only partially disabled via the cabin switch (except for when it detects low air pressure). What I do seem to recall, is that by pulling the 20A VSA fuse in the secondary unhood fuse box, you can disable VSA completely so you can air down for sand. And iirc, that also disables ABS too which is useful for descents on loose terrain. And provides lots of lights on the panel for entertainment purposes. ;)

And VSA=TCS was the point I was trying to make upthread.
VSA≠TCS I am also almost certain the RL has the off-road ABS looks like the Taco’s have it as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm betting, once you get your new tires on, things will improve a lot. I had plenty of tread left with the original Firestones at about 23k miles but they sucked in anything that was not bone dry. I got a set of Michelin DEFENDER LTX M/S tires and the truck feels like it is on rails (they are a bit noisy though).

My personal opinion is that the OEM Firestone tires on the G2 are garbage.
I agree about the LEs. But then having run dedicated snow tires for 15 years before we bought the 09 G1 RL, I considered the Michelin LTX OEM tires to be marginal too. At the start of the 3rd winter in 2012, they just weren't cutting it. Our FWD Lacrosse outperformed the RL in all aspects of winter driving, but maybe some deeper snow that the Lacrosse would have been more compromised by due to Clearance. I bought a set of Blizzaks for the G1 and it became a formidable vehicle in snow even though it didn't have great clearance

So yes, I'm hoping to notice the same difference with this new package

I'm glad I started this thread because I'm learning more and more as it goes on. I've printed the pages referenced and also zroger73 10 point instructions. Into the truck they go!

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
144 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Michelin Defender LTX that was OEM on G1 is not the same as the Defender that is out now, but I am not a tire expert so someone else may be able to chime in on that one. We don't get much snow here, just occasional ice and tons of rain.

I am kind of interested in the new Michelin Crossclimate tires, they look interesting as an all season that might do snow. I don't think they would match what you are getting though.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Defender's were never an OEM tire on the G1. GenI had Michelin LTX MS's and LTXMS2's as OEM tires. Defenders are Michelin's "heir" to the LTXs but I do believe they are offering an LTX MS2 again?

I'm not surprised that you got stuck driving in heavy wet snow that is significantly deeper than the ground clearance of your vehicle. I would be surprised if traction control settings and or snow tires would have gotten you through. Wet snow packs up underneath your vehicle and lifts it off of the tires. . . .

The Firestone Destination LE2's that I had on my 06 GenI for a couple of years did fine in the larger (not on the level that Steve70 just had) but they were newish tires with good tread depth. The OEM Destinations are a different compound and wear more quickly so at 25k they would likely have less than half their tread depth remaining. For all around performance they were excellent tires; good dry / wet grip, quiet and good ride.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Hmm. I'm remembering that the Michelin LTX MS/2 tires did not come in the OEM size for the G1 Ridge. If my memory is correct, which it may not be.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm not surprised that you got stuck driving in heavy wet snow that is significantly deeper than the ground clearance of your vehicle. I would be surprised if traction control settings and or snow tires would have gotten you through. Wet snow packs up underneath your vehicle and lifts it off of the tires. . . .
Pretty tough to make that call if you weren't here. I've hung enough vehicles up in wet snow, when younger and more foolish, to know what to do. Here's what happened.

A Suburban pulled into my neighbors driveway right across the street before we left.. That guy lives in this sub too so he had the same roads at his house to get into the road we wanted. I also watched him back out and leave my neighbors before we went out. The snow sunday was a little heavy, but nothing like last Wednesday when we got 20 plus inches of really heavy stuff. A few full size trucks made it through our road last Wednesday. I knew better than to even attempt going anywhere with the RL....even it had snow tires on. (clearance)

We got moving in about 10 minutes of digging, 4 guys pushing, and my wife driving. I still wasn't able to make the immediate right hand turn to go the normal way because power keep dropping off and I didn't have enough steam to do it. A SUV van type thing with certainly no more clearance than me led the way once we dug it out. I had to go 1/4 mile or so to the next corner and make the right turn. I had gotten up to 15-20 MPH. The van went left. Fortunately I never had to stop till we got to a road that had one plow pass made on it.

What stopped me was not being able to get into the 2 tracks a couple others had made (including the suburban) As soon as I attempted to turn the wheels backing out of the driveway....down I went. ...especially as the power was cut to the wheels. I drove in snow like this with Blizzaks on the G1 on a regular basis for 6 winters. (no VSA on) I think the snow tires would have gotten me to the tracks I needed to get into. ...Then again maybe not given the backwards set up on the VSA for powering through deep snow. I've always said tires and clearance were the main ingredients for going in deep snow. Now I may have to include the RL VSA system as an inhibitor to powering through storm snow.

I did learn later of a few other vehicles getting stuck in the road a couple blocks away. Don't know what they were. At any rate, it's the greatly diminished steering and stopping that had me already leaning towards another snow tire package. This getting stuck just crossed the 'Ts' and 'Is' Needless to say, my wife will be much safer for steering and stopping with the snow tires whether it snows again or not. ...but it's a given that it will.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Fitment for the 18" wheel vehicles.
Ah yes. Some of the later G1 Ridgelines came with 18s, didn't they. I didn't think about that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bought a 17" wheel package with the snow tires. One size down

I might be old school, but I think you should have the ability to pour the coals to it when needed and drift the vehicle when necessary. Just keep it going! That means having a one button solution to completely shut off the VSA.

Unless I missed something here, it looks like snow mode and VSA off is the best this vehicle will do short of the crazy 10 step method

Regarding the G1 VSA off: I don't ever remember power being cut to the wheels for any reason when I need the go juice. Could you be referring to a rev limiter zroger73?

Here's a couple recent pics from a couple miles from here. He owns the bar behind him

21 - 40 of 48 Posts