Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here, so thanks in advance!

Background:
2006 RTL that I bought a year ago, and have been chasing down problems ever since. Snapped a head bolt last year and had the block retapped and replaced knock sensor.

Issue:
The check engine light has been on the entire time I have owned the truck (before and after head gasket), and I cannot get a scan tool to communicate with the ECU to check the codes. I have used a simple bluetooth reader, as well as 2 shops have used 2 advanced scanners (not Honda specific however). The OBD2 port has power, but there is no communication. Have not been to the stealership yet, but is probably my only option at this point.

I have checked all fuses associated with the MICU and ECU with no apparent issues. Is there a certain pin on the OBD2 port that I should test with a multimeter for communication? Is there a relay I should be replacing?

Apologies in advance for not having an advanced understanding of vehicle electronics! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but where the heck is the OBD2 port on a 2011 RL? I've been wanting to plug in my scanner and see if it will work with this truck but I'll be danged if I can find the durn port!
Thanks, and good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be under the dash on the drivers side, about right center just below the trim under the steering column

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here, so thanks in advance!

Background:
2006 RTL that I bought a year ago, and have been chasing down problems ever since. Snapped a head bolt last year and had the block retapped and replaced knock sensor.

Issue:
The check engine light has been on the entire time I have owned the truck (before and after head gasket), and I cannot get a scan tool to communicate with the ECU to check the codes. I have used a simple bluetooth reader, as well as 2 shops have used 2 advanced scanners (not Honda specific however). The OBD2 port has power, but there is no communication. Have not been to the stealership yet, but is probably my only option at this point.

I have checked all fuses associated with the MICU and ECU with no apparent issues. Is there a certain pin on the OBD2 port that I should test with a multimeter for communication? Is there a relay I should be replacing?

Apologies in advance for not having an advanced understanding of vehicle electronics! Thanks!
Probably not relevant, but here is what I saw on Youtube. I frequently watch videos on this channel, Gears and Gasoline, and one of their project cars had this issue, and it had car damage. By the time they started to tear it apart, it was deemed worthless and was parted out. Electrical issues could be a small 'face palm' to full on nightmares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts