Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my second notice for an oil change appear (about 12300 miles), along with a B6 code. I took it back to my dealer for an oil change and he handed my a maintenance schedule that was labeled for a Honda Pilot. He told me it was the same for a Ridgeline and that I should bring it back in 2500 miles for the additional work. ( The schedule had oil changes, tire rotation, 19 point vehicle inspection, etc listed as well as the mileage intervals listed across the top). Does this guy know what he is talking about?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
RidgeDog said:
I recently had my second notice for an oil change appear (about 12300 miles), along with a B6 code. I took it back to my dealer for an oil change and he handed my a maintenance schedule that was labeled for a Honda Pilot. He told me it was the same for a Ridgeline and that I should bring it back in 2500 miles for the additional work. ( The schedule had oil changes, tire rotation, 19 point vehicle inspection, etc listed as well as the mileage intervals listed across the top). Does this guy know what he is talking about?
Obviously not:cool:

L

·
0 Posts
Of course the dealers are out to make money. They all say something different in my experience.
My first suggestion would be to read the threads in here about the maintenances and schedules for them. Kodiak and csimo seem to be two very knowledgeable individuals when it come to your truck. Find their posts and see what you come up with.
Secondly, I would suggest reading the manual and seeing what it has to say. ( on this one I should practice what I preach ):rolleyes:
Make your own determinations, that's what I do.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
6 is the subcode for changing the rear diff fluid. It's scheduled around 15k for the 1st one, then every 30k after that. This is the same as the Pilot.

B is the code for the oil & filter change, tire rotation, and maybe some others. The manual tells you everything suggested. I would personally suggest rotating the tires more often though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just had my B6 done. It cost $190. :eek:

They claim the big expense was due to the VTM4 fluid replacement.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
mayfielh said:
I just had my B6 done. It cost $190. :eek:

They claim the big expense was due to the VTM4 fluid replacement.
I think the rear diff was around $80 with tax. Tire rotation is $42 and oil change around $22 where I go. That gets it close before the other stuff they do.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
$42 for tire rotation? Lucky us. We have a excellent chain of tire stores out here, Les Schwab, that rotates your tires for free, whether or not you purchased the tires from them. They also fix flats for free.

·
Registered
964 Posts
swampler said:
I think the rear diff was around $80 with tax. Tire rotation is $42 and oil change around $22 where I go. That gets it close before the other stuff they do.
I had tire rotation and oil change done at our dealer for 48 bucks total.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Kellcut said:
I had tire rotation and oil change done at our dealer for 48 bucks total.
I rotate them myself and change my oil myself, but I asked the cost ahead of time in case I wanted them to do it. If they were reasonable, I'd just let them do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went in to a dealer for an "express" oil change on my wife's civic and 60 min. later I was inquiring about why it was taking so long.They handed me an estimate for $900 in work. Yeah right. Mostly tune-up and struts and alignment. I took the car to an import mechanic and he said I didn't need half the stuff they were trying to get me talked into. Before I checked on my car I heard one of the service advisors come out and give his speal to another customer, I thought he was being sincere until I got the exact same speech he gave the other guy. It is a high pressure tactic that makes me hate dealers even more. I got price down to $300 by looking around. A good dealer would be worth its weight in gold.
They just seem to be so much in it for the money it blinds their customer service.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i bought tire plan for 60 flat so everytime i rotate tires (each oil change) its free. so i take my oil, filter to them and change oil for 12 and rotate for "free".

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Webwader said:
$42 for tire rotation? Lucky us. We have a excellent chain of tire stores out here, Les Schwab, that rotates your tires for free, whether or not you purchased the tires from them. They also fix flats for free.
Thanks for this information, Webwader. I've been thinking about my first tire rotation and was going to do it myself this weekend, but now I'll try our local Les Schwab! I know it won't be difficult, but I wasn't looking forward to jacking up the truck.

Edit: Just called our Les Schwab and they charge $21 if not purchased there.

I have almost 8,000 miles on it now. Sound like a good time to rotate?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That's were I took mine to get rotated as well. They have the best customer service in the business and were all very excited to see a Ridgeline.

I also got my chains there ($89). Hopefully, I won't need them but an OSP Trooper can send you home if you don't have them, and that would ruin a snowboard trip.

RidgeOwner3 where do you live? I just drove in they rotated them and I left. Maybe mention that if they try to charge you. I know they charge if they need to balance the tires but I have never been charged for rotation.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Another great thing about Les Schwab. If you buy chains and don't use them, you can return them by April 1st and get a full refund.
I just had the RL tires rotated there at no charge.

·
Registered
460 Posts
RidgeOwner3 said:
I guess, as we all know, things are a little different in CA.

Thanks, though.

and yes r-3.......its time to rotate your tires.......if you use the olm monitor to tell you when to change the oil, then imho i would suggest you just do rotation each time you change the oil.;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I wish I had kept the price schedule that was at the dealership, I just picked it up to read and put it back in the stack. But $42 for tire rotation is insane, I could understand if they were going to rotate and balance but many tire places will give you rotation for free or for a flat price. I am not looking forward to $190 for the B6 service and it will likely be the service I do each time given that I won't reach the service time for a full year most times, although I haven't found any information on how frequently to change the rear diff fluid from a time perspective.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have not had an oil change or tire rotation notice yet even though I bought my Ridgeline in May (I only have 4600 miles and 40% life expectancy). I do not think I will let anyone touch the Ridgeline unless I have to. I will change my own oil and will probably rotate my own tires simply because I trust no dealer or mechanic (although I know there are good ones out there). When B6 comes up I will take it to the dealer for the differential fluid but that is all I will have them do.

Tires do not need to be balanced at each tire rotation unless you detect a ride or wear problem which usually are caused by hitting a curb or some such thing. If the vehicle shakes at a certain speed that is a pretty good indicator one or more tires are out of balance. These things aside, I see no reason to worry about balancing tires and they often do more damage than good when service people attempt it. For those that want their tires rotated by someone else, I understand WalMart has a deal for a lifetime rotation for like $10 a tire. I believe it is for any tire, not just ones purchased there. That's not bad as I have never even heard of places doing any tire work for free if you did not buy from them. I can't imagine anyone screwing up a tire rotation, even WalMart.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I never believed in rotating tires. I've been driving and owned cars for 38 years. My reasoning you ask? Well, if there is a problem on any hub, rotation will/may cover it up. Keeping the tire on the same hub will show a problem eventually if kept there. Heck, you're gonna replace them anyways! If you wear out the front set first, you have the option of buying two tires instead of four. If thats the case. I move the rears up and install the new set in back.:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts