Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 RL is going to need front brake pads replaced at the next oil change. I'm at 85k on the odd and can't complain. I had the rear brake pads replaced at about 65K.

I'm debating having the dealership do the brake job or have a reputable neighborhood service center do the job which I assume would be cheaper.

A couple questions I have are 1) What type of OEM brake pads does Honda use i.e. ceramic, semi-metallic etc.? and 2) I have a bit of occasional waa waa in the front upon braking and am assuming the rotors need to be turned, should I get them turned or just buy new rotors?

I know Honda will not be cheap, but if I go to an independent shop I want the same composition brake pads on my RL that were the same as OEM. They do enough brake jobs that I'm not concerned with quality of their work.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My 2007 RL is going to need front brake pads replaced at the next oil change. I'm at 85k on the odd and can't complain. I had the rear brake pads replaced at about 65K.

I'm debating having the dealership do the brake job or have a reputable neighborhood service center do the job which I assume would be cheaper.

A couple questions I have are 1) What type of OEM brake pads does Honda use i.e. ceramic, semi-metallic etc.? and 2) I have a bit of occasional waa waa in the front upon braking and am assuming the rotors need to be turned, should I get them turned or just buy new rotors?

I know Honda will not be cheap, but if I go to an independent shop I want the same composition brake pads on my RL that were the same as OEM. They do enough brake jobs that I'm not concerned with quality of their work.
You should be able to have the OEM rotors turned without having to buy new ones. Also, you could purchase the OEM pad set online and take them to an independent shop. They will probably make you sign something saying they are not warrantying the work though.

I rarely recommend the dealer for service but because brakes are such a key component, I would not hesitate to pay the dealer to do the service. Yes it will be more, but one hopes it will be done up to Honda specs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Do it yourself? If not then you are at mercy of do rotors need to be replaced etc..
Chaching..

So if it was mine akebono oem brand made it in usa.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I do all my own brakes and currently have EBC yellow stuff brake pads all around. I replace the rotors every other pad change on every car and have never had vibration issues etc.

Stick to high quality pads and blank rotors and you'll be good to go. The Akebono pads are good along with Raybestos and Wagner for a stock vehicle that doesnt tow much. My RL will be up for a rotor change with the next set of pads I tow a lot so the yellows make sense for me.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The Akebono pads are the OEM

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'll add sometimes dealer work for pads & turning if needed are available with either mailed coupons or online dealer deals. I had just finished front rotors & bleeding last year when a $139 front disc deal came in the mail. Had I not gotten the front pads for free from a friend who sold his RL needing brakes, I would have been out $70 for OEM pads locally.

Been doing brakes myself for nearly 30 years, the RL's are some of the most basic ones you'll find,

As for turning rotors, Honda actually does that while they are still on the vehicle, us shade tree mechanics, have to pull the set screw & the caliper bracket, have the correct metric bolt. IIRC, there are 2 threaded holes to "push" the rotor off the hub by using 8 mm x 1.25 mm x ~25 mm sized METRIC bolts (thickness of bolt x thread pitch x length) or some thing like that.

Also while there get brake cleaner and clean the stainless hardware & every thing else. Some of the noise could be caliper pins starting to sieze/rust and get caliper lube and lube those pins. Some of the better pads come with the stainless hardware included.

·
Registered
682 Posts
ebc dimpled and slotted rotors and yellow stuff pads all the way around, did it myself with all new hardware, and bled the brakes for about a grand. i'd put my braking distance up against almost anything.

yellows are dusty though, get some sonax wheel cleaner and it comes right off.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
OEM pads are ceramic.

This came out in Honda Service News back in December 2010.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts