Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the scosche and metra install kit.. Found pocket for install. My plan is to glue, sand, fill gap between mount bracket and pocket.. I have no luck with bondo.. What's an alternative to bondo filling in gap.. I've looked at perfect plastic putty, jb weld plastic.. Looking for easy way to accomplish this with either putty or some sort of filler to evenly gap out...

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
FYI: there are two ways to bring those surfaces together: welding or chemical (glue that melts plastic).

Most welding is accomplished with specialized tools that could be cost prohibitive depending on your overall needs (welding is a great way to "permanently" repair & fabricate all kinds of plastic doo-dads - making it a future tool).

Chemicals have limited bonding characteristics in an application like yours, mostly because glue functions by melting two mating surfaces together so MAX_STRENGTH comes from perfect alignment and pressure to ensure no drifting between the surfaces. IMO: given the thickness of materials you'll be working with, glue will be difficult all by itesllf.

BUT: what you could do is a hybrid - by using a cheap solder GUN (not a pencil) with a flat blade cutting/forming tip for initial bonding (like a tack weld) then use ABS glue in place of bondo. It works well for most DIY applications as long as the follow up finishing can be done to personal satisfaction.

When the upper/lower components of install kits are assembled, there's a significant amount of flexing going on, so keep that in mind for your finished project.

You've definitely got a challenge on you hands.

Best of luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts