Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scotty is a TOOL! He has zero credibility reviewing anything automotive. He couldn't find his A$%% with both hands. He's just blowing smoke to get more hits on his channel.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,296 Posts
Scotty really threw shade on you G1 owners. He lost me right after he talked about a multitude of transmission failures on the Ridgeline.

Sometimes guys on YouTube make these insane lists based only on hearsay or rumors. Scotty should be required to edit this video until he comes up with some facts.
I suppose he could make a case for the tranny failures induced by the SMOD issue. But then again, he'd have to include multiple Honda/Acura vehicles as well as a number of other manufacturers.

Scotty is a TOOL! He has zero credibility reviewing anything automotive. He couldn't find his A$%% with both hands. He's just blowing smoke to get more hits on his channel.
Well it worked for me. I had to read through some of the posts and laugh at some of the more ignorant posters there... who just fell in line with Scotty. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I watch both channels....

His is just for fun

SMA is something I was for fun too but I learn a **** ton of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like Scotty Kilmer, I enjoy his videos and he shares a lot of good information. I don't know where he got his opinion of the Ridgeline. He is taking quite a hit here, but more importantly he is getting killed on Youtube where there are far more people watching his videos than who post on ROC. My 2006 RL is probably the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Scotty blew it on that video and doesn't deserve all this attention on this forum.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kilmer seems to be broadcasting from 1994 with his advice. His info is really dated. The Ridgeline comments were just dumb. Even if he was right about G1 reliability (he isn't according to just about every survey), saying you can't imagine a reason to get one shows he didn't so much as bother to google it. Sure, that argument works for the Hummer truck, when there are plenty of off-road capable alternatives, but not the Ridgeline. Obviously, ride quality with the monocoque construction and AWD is a huge selling point, and it's unique to the Ridgeline. It's a pick-up that doesn't spin out.

He dropped the ball with another writer that asked if a Frontier would be a good lower-cost substitute for a Tacoma. He went on about Nissan being owned by the French. Nevermind, that the Frontier outscores the Tacoma for reliability with CR and other venues. It's up there with the Ridgeline now, actually. It's not because Nissan is inherently good at this. They've just been building them so long that they've ironed out the bugs. A few minutes looking through a few forums and articles would make this pretty clear, but no, better to work with his dated knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
23,296 Posts
I like Scotty Kilmer, I enjoy his videos and he shares a lot of good information. I don't know where he got his opinion of the Ridgeline. He is taking quite a hit here, but more importantly he is getting killed on Youtube where there are far more people watching his videos than who post on ROC. My 2006 RL is probably the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Scotty blew it on that video and doesn't deserve all this attention on this forum.
As would be expected on an enthusiast site such as the ROC. Plus, he just flat blew his call on the RL too and seems to have spoken more from ignorance than anything else.

You know, that's a great point......there's the old adage, "there is no bad PR".....maybe we've talked about him enough and the mods should close this thread....hmmmm.
I see no reason to close the thread at this point. I doubt the subject will generate very much more interest that we've already seen. And if it does, so be it.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
23,296 Posts
Who is this Scotty Kilmer? Is he the ref that blew the pass interference no-call that cost the Saints the championship game last Sunday? >:)
Close enough!

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my Honda...now what is this program at Honda where they want to buy back my Ridgeline and give me a more efficient...vehicle!!!! I have been emailed about this already, has anyone else had this happen?

·
Super Moderator
23,296 Posts
I love my Honda...now what is this program at Honda where they want to buy back my Ridgeline and give me a more efficient...vehicle!!!! I have been emailed about this already, has anyone else had this happen?
Honda will be happy to 'give' you a new vehicle in trade for your used one. But be prepared to exchange mucho dinero in the process. ;)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
23,296 Posts
Yep. I think Honda quit giving out free vehicles... yesterday. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, good to know ...I already declined meeting with them...I am not interested.

Here is a scenario...I went to the dealership to get an oil change, on my way home from said..oil change my check engine light came on. Went back for the diagnosis, my rear catalytic converter is functioning below the threshold. I plan on getting this fixed.. but I am not paying 1600.00. Buying the part and having a mechanic put it on... now with that said...should I go ahead an replace the exhaust and muffler since all of it seems necessary toward the rear of the truck?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, good to know ...I already declined meeting with them...I am not interested.

Here is a scenario...I went to the dealership to get an oil change, on my way home from said..oil change my check engine light came on. Went back for the diagnosis, my rear catalytic converter is functioning below the threshold. I plan on getting this fixed.. but I am not paying 1600.00. Buying the part and having a mechanic put it on... now with that said...should I go ahead an replace the exhaust and muffler since all of it seems necessary toward the rear of the truck?
It is a really annoying sales tactic that they try to make us use at the dealership I work at. They do service calls and also want us to call people that have 1 to 2 years left on their loans. The reasoning is sound, but I don't like how shady it feels so I don't participate (I do well enough just doing it my way). The idea is that if you can get someone to consider buying a vehicle before they wanted to, then it means they have not spent days or weeks price shopping and researching. If you can get a buyer before that, the overall gross of the sale is typically higher. What is funny also is watching the sales and service department throw shade at each other. The service writer and tech want you to fix the car because that's how they get paid. The sales person wants you to trade in and buy another, that's how he gets paid...and the general manager sits back and screams "dance puppets!" because he gets paid no matter what.

Random factoid (that is not representative of honda owners, but the reason dealers do this) When someone finances a new vehicle, only 18% ever pay it off and get the title in the US...average first owner is 3.5 years, so the dealer want's to be the first person you talk to and to make it a quick strike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scotty is an old school mechanic and obviously favors Toyota. I read alot of the comments regarding his Ridgeline and Odyssey video. Most Honda owners reflected how they felt in a positive note disagreeing with his assessment. My Ridge has been solid. I still enjoy watching his videos. Not everyone bats 1000 all season so I will give him a pass.
He is getting old and may have brain damage from all the carbon monoxide poisoning.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Kilmer published a video about the "danger of some CVT's" last week in which he said he rented a Ford Focus with a CVT. The Focus never offered a CVT - only a conventional automatic and a DCT. In the comments, he stated he meant to say "Fusion" instead of "Focus". The Fusion Hybrid offers an E-CVT, but that, too, is a completely different animal than a CVT.

·
Registered
60 Posts
He's an automotive mechanic/adviser who apparently works on cars in his driveway at his home in Houston and has been publishing car repair videos on YouTube for over a decade.

He has some good advice and can be mildly entertaining at times, but lately it seems that he's shifted his focus from being a mechanic to becoming a YouTuber.

I've enjoyed watching some of his videos in the past, but this video just prompted me to unsubscribe from his channel.
^This^

He has this habit of flailing his arms around, I think someone noticed this and told him it was entertaining and now he acts like he has lost motor function to a nervous system disorder.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts