Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I know we all have our opinions concerning Scotty Kilmer. Some love him, and he certainly has his detractors. I will say this though - he does pull the crowd along with him.

Yesterday, I watched his video entitled "The only new Honda I would buy." Specifically, he mentioned the 2016 Honda Civic with the 2.0 naturally aspirated engine. It seems like there has been a significant uptick in sales for that particular yr/model the past couple of days. All of the ones that were in decent shape at the dealers have all been sold.

Maybe it is pure coincidence, but I don't think so. Good inexpensive used cars are flying off dealer lots.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ha! I actually wrote a rough draft for a story on the advantages of the 2018 Civic LX back in July 2018, but I never finished or published it. Reading back through the draft, some of the key points were:
  • No safety "nannies"
  • No turbocharger or associated plumbing
  • No direct injection
  • Manual transmission
  • Still used physical ignition key
  • Still had a volume knob
  • Still has "old school" VTEC
I haven't watched the video you referred to, but I'm sure he makes some of the same points.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
That's why I think Toyota has an advantage. Would you buy a used turbo or a used NA engine? Can't get a CRV or Accord without a turbo these days, could spell reduced interest in the used market down the road. @Sparkland, are you saying that the dismal trade in values are showing up in a lower price level for consumers on the buy side? It wasn't pretty but the old 2.4 would keep on going.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That's why I think Toyota has an advantage. Would you buy a used turbo or a used NA engine? Can't get a CRV or Accord without a turbo these days, could spell reduced interest in the used market down the road.
The vast majority of people I know have no idea what is under the hoods of their vehicles. The only numbers they know are how much their monthly payment is and how often they have to stop for gas. They may know how many cylinders it has if they have an above-average level of car knowledge.

If you get bored, I challenge you to ask your friends, family members, and coworkers about their engine displacement, cylinder count, aspiration type, injection type, and number of transmission speeds. I guarantee you'll get a lot of blank stares and wrong guesses. :)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The vast majority of people I know have no idea what is under the hoods of their vehicles. The only numbers they know are how much their monthly payment is and how often they have to stop for gas. They may know how many cylinders it has if they have an above-average level of car knowledge.

If you get bored, I challenge you to ask your friends, family members, and coworkers about their engine displacement, cylinder count, aspiration type, injection type, and number of transmission speeds. I guarantee you'll get a lot of blank stares and wrong guesses. :)
If I have to talk about CRV and oil dilution there's a lot of educated folks out there. :D If these turbos don't require a trip to the mechanic as they get up there in age and mileage that would be great. However, as soon as someone has to pay a dime for a turbo repair on an older car I bet ther're done.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If I have to talk about CRV and oil dilution there's a lot of educated folks out there. :D If these turbos don't require a trip to the mechanic as they get up there in age and mileage that would be great. However, as soon as someone has to pay a dime for a turbo repair on an older car I bet ther're done.
It'll still run without a turbocharger - it just won't have much power. :) That's not a big deal for those who drive around with 2 out of 6 cylinders not firing. :|

A new turbo for a CR-V with a timing chain isn't much more than timing belt service for a Ridgleine.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
"SMA" - what is that? Might've seen it but drawing a blank.

My favorite so far is Savage Geese - interesting, entertaining, and he even waves some actual "facts" at ya.
SMA is an actual auto mechanic with a YouTube channel, South Main Auto, from New York. He is a great teacher.

Reactions: 17sport and Pleease

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
That's why I think Toyota has an advantage. Would you buy a used turbo or a used NA engine? Can't get a CRV or Accord without a turbo these days, could spell reduced interest in the used market down the road. @Sparkland, are you saying that the dismal trade in values are showing up in a lower price level for consumers on the buy side? It wasn't pretty but the old 2.4 would keep on going.
I wish that were the case, but consumer prices have not been lowered in response to lower trade-in values. The dealers are increasing the spread between what they are willing to pay for cars, and how much they charge for those same vehicles.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I've never watched a single one of his videos, even thought every third video in my Youtube feed is Scotty Kilmer. I will NEVER click on anything with 'click-bait' catch phrases like "Scam!", "Crap!", "Don't!", "Never do this!", Always do this!", "Run!", "Secret!", etc. He's like a cockroach, I've blocked him from my Youtube channel recommendations many times, but every time I log onto Youtube, there he is.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
SMA is an actual auto mechanic with a YouTube channel, South Main Auto, from New York. He is a great teacher.
Thanks - will check it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I wish that were the case, but consumer prices have not been lowered in response to lower trade-in values. The dealers are increasing the spread between what they are willing to pay for cars, and how much they charge for those same vehicles.
Here is an example of dealers continuing to stick it to the consumer. The average price of a 2016-2017 Honda Civic is somewhere around $14-16K depending upon trim level. This car had damage on all 4 sides and the dealer still wants premium money. The Carfax report said, "no accidents reported," although it did say "damage reported." Those must have been some severe self-inflicted wounds.

2016 civic.PNG
2016 Civic 1.PNG

·
Registered
167 Posts
I enjoy watching Scotty Kilmer for one reason...he's a cheap skate and will give tips on how to fix things without spending a lot of money.

But his cheapness is one of the most irritating things about him. He brags that he's never spent more than $3000 on a car (I believe). That's great if you work from your house and have multiple cars so you don't have to depend on just one. But for those of us who drive 30,000+ miles a year and HAVE to have a reliable car for our job, we simply can't make due with a $3000 whooptie. He is also a mechanic who can fix them when they break. I can't.

So his use case is totally different that most others. You have to take his comments with a grain of salt.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
On Autoline Daily this morning:

"Even though used car prices collapsed a month ago, they're roaring back. Cox Automotive says that a month ago, used car sales were down 37%. Now, they're down only 6% and as a result, prices have gone back up."
This might cause used car prices to take a pause, when Hertz unloads a portion of their fleet of 580,000 vehicles.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
This might cause used car prices to take a pause, when Hertz unloads a portion of their fleet of 580,000 vehicles.

I expect that will mostly bring down the prices of models available at fleet discounts (which is most brands, but not Honda). There may be too many Altimas, Malibus, and Camrys, but they won't be dumping any Accords or other Honda models into the used market.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts