Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for sounding a bit too ridiculous about this topic, but here goes. Has anyone been concerned with the upkeep of the bed? Specifically how to repair deep scratches from hauling stuff. I thought to just spray over with some Black Restoleum Paint to keep any rust from developing....or is this even necessary due to the bed being a steel composite material?

·
Registered
430 Posts
First, if you do a search on scratches, or scuffs, or bed liner, you should find other members experiences with how to "hide" the scratches.

Second, rust will not be a problem. The entire bed area is made of the composite. Look underneath and you will see and feel the composite material.

Third, why are people so worried about repairing the scratches in the bed of the truck? Rust is no worry and I view it as a "badge of honor" to show other truck owners that I use the truck as a truck. Just this last weekend I hauled hundreds of pounds of fairly big landscape rock in the bed. Scuffs ensued from the largest rocks that I had to slide to the back. As far as appearance, I am one of the most anal people when it comes to wanting my things to look good, but it is a truck and I do work in the field of road construction, so that makes appearance more difficult.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had lots of scars and scratches from hauling tables. I also was bothered with things in the bed sliding all over the place. With a Line-X spray on liner ($419 cost), all these problems were solved. It also looks much sharper.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I love it when it gets scratched up. Number one son helped me load and unload building materials from the RL the other day. He was careless and put a good long deep gouge in the bed. I told him way to go....... keep it up. He thought I was nuts. My buddies see the truck bed and go, "Wow, you really put the truck to good use". That's why I bought a truck. Heck, I don't even wash the thing. Get a lot more respect from real truckers that way.

It's like going into a bar in a suit and tie. You gotta come out of a bar either really drunk or with at least one black eye and all scratched up. Be a man, don't be afraid to get dirty!

Just kidding.......... I used to have a Civic that I pampered to the Nth degree. I tried to keep her in showroom condition. For some reason, I'm the opposite with the RL. The interior, however, is never messy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
mugen1 said:
I love it when it gets scratched up. Number one son helped me load and unload building materials from the RL the other day. He was careless and put a good long deep gouge in the bed. I told him way to go....... keep it up. He thought I was nuts. My buddies see the truck bed and go, "Wow, you really put the truck to good use". That's why I bought a truck. Heck, I don't even wash the thing. Get a lot more respect from real truckers that way.

It's like going into a bar in a suit and tie. You gotta come out of a bar either really drunk or with at least one black eye and all scratched up. Be a man, don't be afraid to get dirty!

Just kidding.......... I used to have a Civic that I pampered to the Nth degree. I tried to keep her in showroom condition. For some reason, I'm the opposite with the RL. The interior, however, is never messy.
Unless you're going keep your RL until the engine dies, you will need to sell it to somebody someday. I'm more concerned about impressing a future prospective buyer than a "real" trucker. I couldn't care less about what they think about my RL. No offense, but I'll continue to use my bed mat whenever necessary to keep my bed looking as new as I can.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I don't use my Ridge as a truck. I've had trucks for years and never used them as such. I just like them thats all. Oh, once in a while I'll haul some brush off my property or take junk to the dump but I don't have the needs of a farmer or construction worker and I don't even have need for a hitch. If I had these kinds of needs I would buy another kind of vehicle.

I bought the Ridgeline because of the many features, the ride, the roomy interior, the way it looked, the innovations, the attention to safety issues, and last but not least, Honda's reputation for excellence. I'm the kind of guy that will only use the trunk as a beer cooler for tailgate parties. It suits my needs perfectly.

To get to the main point, however, because my cargo area is empty 99% of the time, I am more concerned about looks. On the rare occasions I put something back there I use an old, thick comfortor and simply toss it in. I have a cargo net too to keep things from going all over the place.

Unfortunately, the bed, strong and durable as it may be, scratches very easily. But fortunately, unless the scratches are deep, they can be hidden effectly with a simple spray of Armorall. Let it sit a few minutes then wipe it down (sides and rails included) and it will look much better. Some people have done the same using motor oil but I don't like that idea very much. Othes have found exact matching paint at a supply house like Autozone or PepBoys. If you are going to use this vehicle as a work truck, do not bother with any of this or else just get yourself a bed mat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am actually a Project Manager as opposed to a laborer/construction worker. I am the guy you see with the clean safety vest, untarnished hard hat, wearing khaki's, comfortable dress shoes, and a golf shirt. I don't abuse my truck. I also consider the resale value of the Ridgeline to be important. However, when you go to sell it, a buyer in the market for a used truck should not expect to have a mint bed. Besides, I can only imagine the future questions:

Buyer: "Nice bed. How much can it haul?"
Seller (with mint bed): "Payload capacity is 1500 lbs."
Buyer: "What have you hauled in it?"
Seller: "Oh you know.......unrolled carpet to protect the bed from scratches. Other than that, marshmellows, whipped cream, down comforters, etc."
Buyer: "Sweet! Do you take a personal check?" ;)

If the day comes where I sell the Ridgeline before the engine retires (most likely), I will be the first one to be detailing every aspect of the truck. My arsenal includes Q-Tips, toothbrushes, rags galore, rolls of paper towels, elbow grease and time. I have an ongoing record of the first person to test drive one of the vehicles I am selling, buys it. I clean/shine everything; even the hoses and wires in the engine compartment. And I don't put any protective coating on those. Believe me, I will be making the bed look as good as possible when the time comes to part with the Ridgeline, but until then it is a truck that hauls heavy things in the bed.

Also, being a parent of a 3 year old girl and a 9 week old girl as well as being the owner of a brand new house with a wife who has a long "Honey Do List" :eek: , I don't have the time to sit in the back of my truck and touch it up with whatever material is available. I have diapers to change, feedings to give, tea parties to enjoy, and beauty shops to attend. :rolleyes: The paint and interior is a different matter. I permanently have a hand held duster in the driver's door pocket that gets used almost every third day to clean the inside. The rear seats are also protected from the flying debris of kids.

What I am trying to say is, the Ridgeline gets put down enough for not being a "real" truck that the used bed look at least shows others that it is a truck that can haul things and I use it that way.

I am not trying to degrade or belittle the ones who want a pristine truck, but just remember it is a truck. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Amen. My Ridge is wearing his bed scratches like a badge of honor.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Guys, I've hauled everything from 1200lbs of landscape material to pressure washers, to furniture (hauling a dining room set 300 miles this weekend). It only takes a bed mat to keep the bed from getting all chewed up. My Ridgeline's capabilities will not be questioned when I sell it down the road. But I'll thank the bed mat for keeping the bed as new as possible for the lucky new owner, especially if it helps me get a little extra money for it ($55 well spent on the mat).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
denvrfan said:
Guys, I've hauled everything from 1200lbs of landscape material to pressure washers, to furniture (hauling a dining room set 300 miles this weekend). It only takes a bed mat to keep the bed from getting all chewed up. My Ridgeline's capabilities will not be questioned when I sell it down the road. But I'll thank the bed mat for keeping the bed as new as possible for the lucky new owner, especially if it helps me get a little extra money for it ($55 well spent on the mat).
I agree with you...where did you buy your mat and which one. Also, does the in bed trunk stay open with the mat on it?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Should I strangle him? After all my efforts to keep the bed nice, DH got off work early to do a good deed. He hauled off all the old hog wire we tore out in our fencing project 2 weeks ago. Of course he scratched the bed all up.

What add insult to injury is he also put multiple scratches on our week old tonneau cover. YIKES.

He got some touch up paint for that. It looks better, but it looks like touch up paint.

The sad thing is he had a blanket he could have draped over the wire right in the trunk.

(Some) Men and their "It's a truck, it's going to get scratched" attitude.

I'm not happy about this. . .

I decided to edit the statement about men because I realized after posting that I sounded harsher than I intended. Certainly not all men want a rough looking truck and not all women want it bright and shiny.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree Truckin'. It all boils down to what you bought this truck for. As I said in my previous post, I don't use it as a truck in that I do not trailer or haul anything. I just think the Ridgeline is a neat, all around vehicle with great features. If you are going to haul hog wire all the time, hitch up big trailers or boats, do construction work or are a farmer, I would opt for a different vehicle. It rides more like an expensive sedan than a truck and that is what I use it for. The fact that I have a bed if and when I need it is a welcome bonus. For that reason, I want the bed to always look good.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Sportspark, we are not real farmers so it is very rare for us to haul hog wire. We just had to do a stretch of major fence repair this year. We hauled all the new wire and fence posts without damage because I was prepared. I took a piece of carpet with us. If I'd been home to take the old wire to the dump, I would have taken the same precautions.

Hubby is not happy about the tonneau scratches either, but the bed scratches don't bother him. I think he'll be more careful in the future, at least with the top side.

Now that we have the tonneau cover installed I may cut that carpet to fit and just leave it in the truck bed. If it gets wet I can throw it away. I have an endless supply of carpet scraps available to me with two brothers-in-law that lay carpet.

We had our second call from American Honda and one of the improvements we suggested was to find a way to make the composite black all the way through. I wouldn't object to the scratches so much if they didn't look so bad.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
I agree with you...where did you buy your mat and which one. Also, does the in bed trunk stay open with the mat on it?
truckcustomizers.com, model #R4LRN4.3D. Total price was $56 and change. You need to cut this mat down to 59.5" to fit in the bed. I used the excess for the bed trunk. Other members are using it when they need to protect the rear gate when hauling extra long materials. It's a good heavy duty mat that stays put when sitting in an empty bed. However, it's too heavy to allow the bed trunk lid to stay open. It's easy to roll it back to gain access if necessary. Like I said, money well spent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts