Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The snow is fast approaching folks! And I don't want to wreck the paint on my baby.

Anyone know of a scratchless snowclearing "system" I can use?

·
Registered
802 Posts
My recommendation would be to just not let whatever you use touch the paint-leave a layer of snow. Any brush, broom,etc. will cause at least some marring. And you never know what is embedded in the snow, so even using something that is soft and normally wouldn't scratch, you run the risk of pulling a piece of gravel or something across the paint if go all the way down.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
scottIN said:
My recommendation would be to just not let whatever you use touch the paint-leave a layer of snow.
I'm just wondering how you propose doing that? In Indiana, surely you have to deal with snow sometimes. I don't like having snow on my vehicle, especially on the hood, because it just blows off along the route. Often I push from the windshield line toward the front and it all just slides off. I don't know if I could convince it to leave a layer behind.

The RL hasn't been graced with snow yet. We will be using some implement to get the snow off, as we do not own a garage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
HenryHonda said:
The snow is fast approaching folks! And I don't want to wreck the paint on my baby.

Anyone know of a scratchless snowclearing "system" I can use?

Try this ...

SNO BRuM offers a quick way to sweep snow off your Ridgeline without harming the vehicle's finish. You can easily push heavy snow off the hood and trunk without scratching the paint.

SNO BRuM

Forget the brush, Get the Brum
Telescoping handle provides plenty of reach
Detachable handle saves room in your trunk
Provides an oversized foam head - 6" by 17"
Durable and super light weight
Once you use this, you'll chuck that snow brush
Does not scratch paint

Bought mine on AMAZON.COM for $15.00

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought the sno brum 2 weeks ago on Amazon since I was thinking of winter. Its here and ready to go. When we get snow I'll post how it works. I don't want use a broom. :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In the nearly twenty years of owning vehicles in the northeast, I don't think I have ever had a problem with scratching the hood of my car in winter with just pushing or pulling the snow off with a snow brush. The reality is that it is unlikely your car is clean under the snow anyway so even if the brush was brand new each time there is a possibility you are running gravel across it.

You just want to be careful, but if you want some special broom/brush then go for it. Whatever works for you will be great. Generally I don't have a lot of time to be careful. It is get the car clear in a few minutes or be very late for work. Working for a global company and having a boss several states away it isn't always easy to explain how I can be late, not to mention I work from my house, making it even harder, although they do know I take my wife to the train each morning.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've never had brand new vehicles, so haven't been too concerned with this. Seems like the biggest issue, as mentioned by captmiddy, is to keep the surface clean prior to any snow.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have the same concerns. I don't want to scratch the paint but I will not drive a vehicle that is covered in snow. Clearing the hood is something that you must do to keep the snow from blowing onto the windshield. Clearing the roof is necessary to keep it from sliding onto the back window of cars or in my case onto the Retrax. Worse yet it could come off in a large chunk and hit the vehicle behind you and cause an accident. All of the windows and all of the lights must be cleared as well before moving. That leaves it that you pretty much have to clear the entire vehicle. I could come up with a long list of adjectives for those drivers that we all see driving around with windows, hood, roof and lights covered in snow because they were too lazy to prepare to drive safely on the road putting everyone else at risk. If they are not willing to be responsible, they should take the bus! The Snow Brum is the only thing that I have not tried yet, but I will have one. I hope that all of those coats of wax will protect the paint and allow the snow to slide right off. The Ridgeline warms up so fast that the addition of a little heat will no doubt help too. We had one snow storm a few weeks ago but my truck was in the garage. I did notice that two car dealers that I happened to visit (my Honda dealer and a good friends Ford/Dodge dealership) both had a line of what looked like larger versions of Snow Brums lined up at the door.
Thanks for the info on the Snow Brum.

·
Registered
897 Posts
FWIW: I was at a Sam's club (Nashua, NH for the locals) and they had a Hoppy portable/folding snow brush for your car for 10$ as they usually do, except this year it has a sno brum type thing on one end of it - it also still has the scraper at the other end and all the functionality you expect from a "snow brush" - cept with a brum type thing instead (it does have a brush as well as backup)

It actually comes with a shovel attachment but I still haven't found what I'll do with that though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I could come up with a long list of adjectives for those drivers that we all see driving around with windows, hood, roof and lights covered in snow because they were too lazy to prepare to drive safely on the road putting everyone else at risk.
Ooh, ooh, can I help? I really dislike those people...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I generally clear about 90% of the snow off my vehicles. The 10% I don't clear off is because I don't have the time to get into the nooks and crannies under the roof rack. I always break any solid snow on my roof and knock most of it off so there will never be a large mass flying off my roof. 9 times out of 10 I can clear a vehicle in 15 minutes tops. If it is my wife's car 100% of the snow is removed because there aren't any hard to reach areas. My wife's favorite clearing device is a one sweep which she destroys one of a year. She uses it to knock down the majority of the snow then uses a normal brush to take off the last layer of snow.

I am with you though on the never leaving snow anywhere on the front of the vehicle, this just ends up obscuring your vision, and leaving any on the back is bad also because then you are blinding those behind you. This will be my first truck so the amount of snow I remove will be a new experience. We always left snow in the back of the family truck since they were all RWD when the 4WD wasn't turned on so this added a little weight over the wheels. Guess I will have to add a shovel to my back seat to clear out the bed a little after a snow storm.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You really don't want to get me going on that one SSquire. That's a rant that would not be suitable for mixed company. :mad: Their lame excuses just add gasoline to the fire. Sorry, I gotta' stop before it's too late......

·
Registered
114 Posts
NITROFC said:
Try this ...

SNO BRuM offers a quick way to sweep snow off your Ridgeline without harming the vehicle's finish. You can easily push heavy snow off the hood and trunk without scratching the paint.

SNO BRuM

Forget the brush, Get the Brum
Telescoping handle provides plenty of reach
Detachable handle saves room in your trunk
Provides an oversized foam head - 6" by 17"
Durable and super light weight
Once you use this, you'll chuck that snow brush
Does not scratch paint

Bought mine on AMAZON.COM for $15.00

We have have had 3 snowfalls this week here in CT and today was the biggest with about 6 inches of heavy snow. So far the Snow Brum has work well. Like a squeegee(?). Pulls it all off fast. I don't see any scratches and wont know until I wash and wax it again but it doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
greetings....i've had one of those snobrums for a couple years....no scratches...i work at a car dealership and we use them to clear all the cars on the lot...thanks for the info because i'd like to pick up another one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Before I can clean my RL, I need a snow brush long enough for me to actually reach the top! (Guys, stop laughing!) :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts