Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To sum it up this tows awesome at 10,000 ft.

So this trip I had 670 miles on my new RL so I could with confidence that I would not void my warranty. As pointed out before the manual suggests not to tow until you have 500 miles on the engine. So having allot more confidence after towing the first time I decided to give the ridgeline a real test. Up Kenosha pass with camper filled with fresh water. 43 gallons.

Truck Cargo: 2 adults and 1 dog with kennel. Blowup paddle board and tandem sit on top Kayak, fire wood. spare tire for trailer. etc... + Small Generator 60lbs

Travel Trailer: Winnebago 1801FB : Dry weight 3300 lb. + 3 Batteries 2 group 24 batteries on the tongue one enclosed in the back of the camper Group 8D 250AH 180lb battery. 2 25lb propane tanks. Loaded with food and beer + camping chairs and gear. 43 gallons of fresh water = @350lbs. Best guestimation 4550 lb. I still have not had a chance to get everything weighed at a public scale sorry. I promise I will have exact weight when I do the Ike Gauntlet in 2 weeks.

This trip did not start as planned. We have planned and early start , left work early at 2pm. When I got home I noticed my brake controller had no light. Narrowed it down to Fuse. FYI there are 2 big fuse boxes in the ridgeline, none in the cab, both are under the hood in the engine compartment. The fuses are a low profile mini fuse. Glad Honda put 1 extra of each fuse in the fuse box on the passenger side in the engine compartment. The Brake controller fuse is in the fuse box in the middle of the engine compartment. After getting fuse replaced got hitched up ready to go. But now it was the beginning of rush hour.

I hate towing in stop and go rush hour traffic. The first leg of the trip E-470 to I285 was stop and go. the MPG trip computer was showing 10.1 mpg really ****ty mpg. Starting to think the first towing trip was a fluke at 12mpg.

On 285 we start the climb into the mountains. This is what the elevations looks like on Google maps. (See Attached image at the bottom).

That first peak you see is Indian hill. Had no problem doing 50-55. Speed Limit 55 traffic moving a little slower. MPG getting worse 9.8. No gear hunting at this point engine working hard I would not say struggling though. Engine heat went up 1 notch. turned AC off to play it safe. Top of Indian hill into Baily I believe is 6% incline for couple of miles. Decided to use D4 for Downhill to keep my speed down. Brought speed down to a little over 50 let the vehicle in front get a good distance away, the D4 worked well !, kept speed at max 58 mph with very light braking. Had to use heavier brake as I got into baily as traffic slowed for the Curve at the bottom of the hill. The D4 felt safe and helped control the weight of the trailer without a heavy foot on the brake. Much better than the old Ridgeline.

MPG's going up 10.4 but still bad.

From Baily to Grant road just slightly uphill but curvy. It’s on the curvy mountain roads where I really appreciate the E2 weight distribution hitch with sway control. Allows me to do the speed limit and still feel in control. Also the width of the ridgeline without the height also makes a big difference a very nice low center of gravity.

From Grant Co to top of Kenosha is a pretty good grade. Had no trouble keeping up with traffic 50-55 to the top of Kenosha 10,000ft

Top of Kenosha to the town of Jefferson is a pretty good downhill the D4 worked great as before. MPG going up on the downhill into Jefferson 11.4 mpg a little better

Trip home. I was a little lighter probably 4,300lb less water food etc....

Up Kenosha from Jefferson is a two lane with slower traffic on the right. I can’t tell you how good it felt to pass slower Chevys, Dodges, Fords and Toyotas towing campers. Granted they were towing bigger campers But it still felt good to pass them doing 60-65 Towing my little camper. I could just hear them "Damn that Honda is towing and Passing us! I need to buy a bigger truck !!" HAHAHa

From Kenosha to SE Denver is mostly downhill, Made up the MPG's on the return trip. By the time I got home the trip computer read 11.9 mpg. After un-hitching and cleaning out the camper went to fill up tank. This is the first chance I had to manually calculate mpg while towing. The average went down to 11.1 mpg almost 1mpg less but still good considering I towed over a mountain pass at 10,000 ft.

Very Enjoyable experience towing with the new Ridgeline! In 2 weeks I will be doing the IKE Gauntlet. I promise I will have the actual Trailer weight. I don’t think it will differ by more than 100-200lbs

Attachments

· Registered
2,264 Posts
But it still felt good to pass them doing 60-65 Towing my little camper. I could just hear them "Damn that Honda is towing and Passing us! I need to buy a bigger truck !!" HAHAHa
And I am hearing that "hahaha" like it was voiced by Max Cady in cape fear!! ROFLOL!

too funny.

· Registered
408 Posts
FYI there are 2 big fuse boxes in the ridgeline, none in the cab, both are under the hood in the engine compartment.
There is another in the cab far into the driver footwell by the left side. When I picked up my RL, rear sliding window wasn't working and narrowed it down to fuse and had to keep looking I couldn't find it in any of the two boxes under the hood. It's by the footwell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.