Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I did a few searches, but didn't see anything in regards to the second generation Ridgeline. I'm curious to how much people are paying for registration and in which State.
I bought my RTL-E in May 2018 and paid $631.
In 2019 - $597
In 2020 - $529
This is in California.
Thank you for any replies!

·
Registered
449 Posts
2017 here. CA also, paid $475 this month/year. Last year was $5xx can’t recall exact amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
WOW, CA ! :rolleyes:

TEXAS annual license tag / registration renewal for an RL is $74 total of all fees paid to the state + $7.50 paid at the safety inspection facility. Actual 'hands-on' safety inspection is required annually, it's done at most quick-lube places, auto-repair shops, dealerships, etc.

Add ~$10 to the inspection fee paid at the facility if in one of the few large urban counties that require emissions testing (per EPA mandate in air-quality 'non-attainment' areas).

Note that new cars typically come from the dealer with license tag / inspection that is valid for 2 years (to be renewed annually thereafter).

This for any non-commercial / non-agriculture vehicle weighing under 6,001 pounds (note this is the curb weight of the vehicle, not it's GVWR). IOW the vast majority of cars, vans, and light pickups owned by typical drivers.

There are no other 'hidden' fees or taxes, state or local, associated with non-commercial vehicle registration / ownership / operation in TX. Minimum coverage liability insurance is required; 6.25% sales tax is paid on the actual price less trade-in value (net transaction amount) + nominal title fee only when a title transfers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm in the Skagit Valley area of Washington, and the registration for 2020 for my 2017 RTL-T was $115.50, the lion's share of which is a weight-based fee. We don't have safety or emissions inspections.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hawaii

Paid well over $500.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
in NJ:
you can pay the the first 5 years up front for $325.00 = $65.00 a year ( which is what I did)
Title fee $85.00

but the schedule looks like this:

Weight Class
Model
Weight
Fee
1​
1970 or older​
Under 2,700 lbs.​
$35.50​
2​
1970 or older​
2,700 lbs. - 3,800 lbs.​
$44.50​
3​
1970 or older​
Over 3,800 lbs.​
$65.50​
4​
1971 – 1979​
Under 2,700 lbs.​
$38.50​
5​
1971 – 1979​
2,700 lbs. - 3,800 lbs.​
$49.50​
6​
1971 – 1979​
Over 3,800 lbs.​
$72.50​
7​
older than 2 years​
Under 3,500 lbs.​
$46.50​
7​
within 2 years​
Under 3,500 lbs.​
$59.00​
8​
older than 2 years​
Over 3,500 lbs.​
$71.50​
8​
within 2 years​
Over 3,500 lbs.​
$84.00​
9​
older than 2 years​
Commuter Van**​
$71.50​
9​
within 2 years​
Commuter Van**​
$84.00​
Seniors/disabled get a $7 discount

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,027 Posts
The registration fees in NC look like this for 2020. You also have to pay your vehicle property taxes when you renew the registration.

My Pilot costs $36. The Ridgeline is $56.50 because of the max weight. I guess I should count myself lucky the state didn't use GVWR which is 6050 lbs.

I'm not sure what they based the Pilot on since I believe the empty weight (curb weight includes a full tank of fuel) is close to the same as the Ridgeline.

Honda shows the 2006 Pilot EX-L 4wd as 4524 lbs curb weight and the 2008 Ridgeline RTS at 4491 lbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
reg cost vary by state.. When I lived in Arkansas it was $38 a year, but you had to take your car to the local tax office to have it appraised and then the property tax before you could register it.. Every year after that you had to take your reg notice to the tax office so they could stamp it paid before going to the MVD office to pay your reg.. You had to do this even if you did not own any property tax on the vehicle.. When I managed license and reg for one of the largest trucking companies in the US, I learned this was very common in the south.. I now live in AZ and lic and reg on my new 2019 was in the $500 range..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in NH, the state of no income tax or sales tax, but they get us on municipality fee (property tax) during vehicle registration. It is calculated by 25$ per 1000 of value.

I paid 700 dollars for an Oct - August period. I fully expect next August to get a bill roughly close to 1k.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
I guess it's all relative to how your state collects revenue and what for, you really have to add in all the other costs, I suppose.
Sales tax in NJ is 7% on the cars/trucks.
The 2 biggest roadways are toll roads.
Most bridges & tunnels to escape NJ are tolls.
They will find a way to pay for the infrastructure some way.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
I live in NH, the state of no income tax or sales tax, but they get us on municipality fee (property tax) during vehicle registration. It is calculated by 25$ per 1000 of value.

I paid 700 dollars for an Oct - August period. I fully expect next August to get a bill roughly close to 1k.
September is Free?

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
Here in Denver, CO the license plates costs for my 2017 Ridgeline, which I purchased in 2016:
  • $585 for the first year
  • $485 the second year
  • $363 the third year
We also have bi-annual emissions tests ($35), but a new vehicle is exempt for the first 5 years. I guess I would consider Colorado to be somewhere in the middle ground for licensing costs.

We do have state income tax here in Colorado and they do tax Social Security benefits, so maybe I should not feel so fortunate.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,027 Posts
NC seems to be the Taxassachusetts of the South with property tax, sales tax, and income tax... to name a few.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In GA we pay a 7% TAVT tax when buying a vehicle, and it's just $20 a year after that. Plus the cost of emissions after a vehicle is 3 years old.

We used to pay a 6-7% sales tax, plus annual registration fees and ad valorem tax (which could have been several hundred dollars depending on the vehicle's value). But back then private party sales had no sales tax. The GA Dealers Association wanted to end the incentive for people to buy private, so now every private party sale has to pay the 7% TAVT to get a tag. That brought in more revenue overall, so they did away with yearly ad valorem tax.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here in Taxachusetts, registration seems like a bargain compared to other states, we pay $60 every other year.
But then we've already paid 6.25% of sales price in sales tax, a $35 annual inspection fee, we pay the town an annual excise tax of $25 per $1k of vehicle value, then there's that gas tax of $.24 per gallon.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
Here in Taxachusetts, registration seems like a bargain compared to other states, we pay $60 every other year.
But then we've already paid 6.25% of sales price in sales tax, a $35 annual inspection fee, we pay the town an annual excise tax of $25 per $1k of vehicle value, then there's that gas tax of $.24 per gallon.
Your TOWN gets income off the value of your vehicle? $1000 bucks for a $40,000 truck? What the hell!, I hate to ask what your property taxes are like. That is one of the most insane taxes I have ever heard of, what is the logic behind that?
I don't get the justification, other than promoting people to buy old used cars that are cheaper and probably less environmentally friendly ...

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
Maybe worth noting that in some states the "registration fee" is only a portion of the total 'out-of-pocket' requried fees that must be paid to drive a vehicle. For example, in TX the "registration fee" is technically only $54, but other fees required to be paid when annually renewing registration bring that up to $74+$7.50.

Here's a table showing "registration fee" by state, but based on posts above for TX, CA, and HI the numbers here don't include everything that must be paid for annual renewal: Car Registration Fees By State 2020

Just sayin' that folks need to be clear about what they're posting, methinks the OP's intent was to query about the total out-of-pocket cost to annually renew everything required to drive a vehicle in different locations, not just the "registration fee" per se.

Following the 'other taxes' tangent ... we don't have income tax in TX; yes on sales tax (6.25% state; local option drives it up to 8.25% in most jurisdictions, but local option sales tax can't be applied to motor vehicle sales); we do pay tax on appraised value for real property annually, that rate varies widely by jurisdiction.

The real property tax is the primary funding mechanism for public education (school districts), the subject of challenges relating to equity among 'rich' vs 'poor' districts, and may well be changed if some court challenges prevail (we might have an income tax in our future).

The Texas motor-fuel tax since 1991 is $0.20/gallon, both gas and diesel (with exception for dedicated agriculture fuels). Federal motor fuel tax on top of that of course.

·
Super Moderator
1,319 Posts
Taxachusetts as mentioned, is one of the worst personal property tax states in the US. I believe boats and other personal items are taxed there as well. It's quite the Democratic area and I don't think they've voted for a Republican in 50 years.

Steve spent quite a bit of time there when Dukakis was gov. He taxed everything!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
330 Posts
According to that grid/map New Jersey is no longer a coastal state and the registration fee is $59 I can attest that both are incorrect
:)

I'm being a smartass of course, the registration fees posted are for cars, not trucks. So that grid is taking a lot of liberties.

·
Registered
65 Posts
September is Free?
Nah, I just purchased my RL in October, so I didn't have to pay for September. We also register on our Birthday month, so that's August for me.

Having lived in Taxachusetts previously as well as California, NH has been welcome relief on the yearly fees. They get us good on property tax, so home and the vehicle and that's it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts