Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my wife and I pulled up to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store to take a gander at some keychains. As we stepped out of the RL, I activated the auto locks button on the driver's side door and as we walked across the parking lot, the security alarm goes off (either security alarm or courtesy honk going haywire). I pulled the keys out of my pocket, assuming that I was hitting the lock button on the key, and then the alarm stopped. This was the first time it had activited when the key was in my pocket and I thought is was my fault.

We left O'Rielly and pulled up to an Advance Auto Parts store. Again, a few seconds after I activated the auto locks from the driver's side door and walked away from my RL, the security alarms goes off again! The key was still in my hand so I know for a fact that I wasn't accidentally hitting the lock button on the key. The security alarm went off erratically for a couple of seconds and a guy putting some oil into his Explorer was saying "alright already", thinking that I was doing it on purpose.

My wife and I made several other stops but the security alarm didn't act up. Does anyone think that it was just coincidence that it malfunctioned while I was at an auto parts store? Had this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts or explanation?

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmmmm....does your wife have her own set of keys, and a sense of humor?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but she didn't have her keys with her. So it's still a mystery.

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I find that the all in one key thing is nice except for this reason of this thread. For the most part. I'm sure there is a chance that something at the parts store set it off, but with so many combinations and feqencies I feel the odds are slim. Twice now my wife has set her purse down (in the house)and set off the alarm to my RL. Her Accord key & alarm fobe have never gone off accidently that I can remember. I dropped my cell phone in my pants pocket and set off the RL but same pants, pocket with accord key and nothin? , so it is more than likely we are accidently setting it off than we think. :eek:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
maybe your RL doesn't like visiting Auto part store??:D its just letting you know that by setting the alarm off.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I read somewhere that if you have another remote transmitter with your RL key, that it may affect it. Also, I don't know what date this occured, but Sputnik just flew over the USA.:D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I believe your RL was trying to tell you the new accessory it wanted for the Holidays. You just forgot to bring your Honda translator with you. :D

L

·
0 Posts
Sorry Rik...not sure how I missed this thread.
I was thinking maybe it was Shari...I have done that to Todd more than I can count and it still throws him off. LOL :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
kanji said:
maybe your RL doesn't like visiting Auto part store??:D its just letting you know that by setting the alarm off.
...or maybe your Ridgeline was afraid you'd replace a genuine Honda part with some aftermarket imposter...Have you tried speaking nicely to your truck as you exit? In parking lots, I've gotten into a habit of telling my Ridgeline which of the surrounding cars he can speak to while I'm away. (imports- yes, domestics- no, wouldn't want the RL to pick up any bad habits). I know this is dumb but it always brings a chuckle from my better half.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Maybe go back to those places again...... same time, same parking spot.

I wonder how many alarms out there have the same frequency. I've heard of people driving around neighbourhoods trying out their garage door opener remotes on other houses.

Anyway..........

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LadyRidge said:
Sorry Rik...not sure how I missed this thread.
I was thinking maybe it was Shari...I have done that to Todd more than I can count and it still throws him off. LOL :D
That's quite alright JC...I totally forgot about it myself. Shari rarely uses the computer, but when she IS using it...she's all knuckles! :D (..as I look over my shoulder)

I may try visiting the auto parts store around the same time of the day when this originally happened, then park in the same spot just to see if anything happens (as someone suggested).

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
does the RL have rolling code for the Security Alarm? Just wondering, MBZ has the rolling codes on their Security systems for the uper class benz starting from E class.

·
Registered
668 Posts
SixOpRidge said:
Today, my wife and I pulled up to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store to take a gander at some keychains. As we stepped out of the RL, I activated the auto locks button on the driver's side door and as we walked across the parking lot, the security alarm goes off (either security alarm or courtesy honk going haywire). I pulled the keys out of my pocket, assuming that I was hitting the lock button on the key, and then the alarm stopped. This was the first time it had activited when the key was in my pocket and I thought is was my fault.

We left O'Rielly and pulled up to an Advance Auto Parts store. Again, a few seconds after I activated the auto locks from the driver's side door and walked away from my RL, the security alarms goes off again! The key was still in my hand so I know for a fact that I wasn't accidentally hitting the lock button on the key. The security alarm went off erratically for a couple of seconds and a guy putting some oil into his Explorer was saying "alright already", thinking that I was doing it on purpose.

My wife and I made several other stops but the security alarm didn't act up. Does anyone think that it was just coincidence that it malfunctioned while I was at an auto parts store? Had this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts or explanation?

-SixOpRidge
Last week, I parked in the lot where my office is located walked up to the second floor opened the office door sat down, then notice someones car alarm going crazy, after a couple of minutes I realized that it was a very loud horn, so I went to the window with my keys on the chance it was the ridgeline, pushed the unlock button, and behold the alarm shut off. I don't remember if I locked it by key or by the switch on the door. When the alarm went off the keys were still in my office door handle from when I unlocked it. I must have hit the panic, but I don't think so. Is it possessed?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
You may have accidental pressed the panic button while it was in your pocket or pressed against it while it was in your hand?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Toobuku said:
You may have accidental pressed the panic button while it was in your pocket or pressed against it while it was in your hand?
It's not that easy to do. You not only have to press it, but you have to hold it in for a second or two before it will start going off.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The all in one design I feel is the culprit.:D Maybe we could all try the waterproof bag they are selling to see if that makes it harder to hit the buttons while in a pocket or purse. or hanging from a door.:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmmm. The mysterious "alarm prankster" has been around for awhile....

SixOpRidge said:

-SixOpRidge
I'm bringing back this thread from last December. Seems those of us with Alarm Gremlins are not blazing new threads. SixOpRidge -- if you are still reading your earlier post --- has your alarm gremlin disappeared? if so, what was the magic spell you cast?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am like a one-week-old owner of a 2014 RLT, and today I was able to spend some time in it reading the 405 page owners manual. The key was out and laying in the center console, the doors are all locked,[automatically, I reckon, because I did not lock them]. I try and unlock my door, then any door, to no avail, using the driver-side buttons. I reach over and lift the manual locking button, and WHAMO, the friggin horn goes off. Non-stop. I tried starting it and putting in drive, everything my panicked little brain could think of. Finally I turned it off and took out the keys and punched the unlock button on the key. The horn stopped. I searched all of the related pages in the owners manual and found nothing. It happened again later. Same fix for the same unknown cause. This vehicle has less than 200 miles on it, originally delivered 6 months ago. Can somebody please clue me in. My dealer advised me not to use the manual buttons.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've done that before... When I've accidentally locked the button with the key fob while I was still in the truck, then opened the door. You may have accidentally hit the auto-lock button on your fob and not realized it. Once the system is armed it views the doors being unlocked or opened from inside the vehicle as a theft attempt.

If you arm the alarm (with the fob or manually locking the doors) and leave your windows down, then reach in the window to manually unlock the truck and open the door, it will similarly trigger the alarm. Once the system's armed you have to disarm it with your fob (or your key manually unlocking the door). I'm no expert, but I'm on RL #3, so I believe the aforementioned info is accurate, at least from what I've experienced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts