Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to disable the security system? My truck turns over but won't start. The red key warning light is flashing on the dash. According to the manual the computer is not accepting the key code, so the security system is locked on. The mechanic I spoke with said the key has to be coded at the dealership with the truck. I Have to have the truck towed to the dealership then pay them $100? This is ridiculous. I'd rather not have a security system.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Did the key previously work with that truck?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That doesn't sound right to me but a local locksmith would probably be half that. Your key shouldn't lose it's ability to be recognized. Take it apart and replace the CR1616. If you can't get it apart with the tiny screwdriver heat it up some (without melting the plastic) and it will unscrew easier.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It sounds like it isn't recognizing the immobilizer chip. That doesn't take any battery power from the remote. It is the tiny chip in the lower right of the 'empty' part of the case in this picture:

It gets its power from the car by being within range of the sensor.
While it is a security measure it isn't the same as a regular security system cutting out the starter. The chip in the remote gets power from the field generated by the sensor in the ignition switch and the ECU in the vehicle reads the code on the chip. It then matches it to the code stored in the ECU. If it matches it allows the vehicle to start. If it doesn't respond with a code or it doesn't match then it flashes the warning light and won't start; like you are experiencing.

If you don't have anything else on the key ring that could cause interference (try it with just the key and nothing else) then I think they are right and it would have to be reprogrammed to your vehicle at the dealer.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check with a mobile locksmith but I'd think at most they'd have equipment to copy that chips programming onto another chip in a new key but doubt they'd have the equipment to connect to the car and tell it to recognize that key or a new key. It's worth a shot though.

Update:

Just found this:
http://handa-accessories.com/immobilizer.pdf

You'd have to get your local dealer to give you the code. I'm not sure if they'd charge for it or not but with the registration and your driver's license it should show them that you own the car with that VIN.
That will just get the vehicle started so you can save the tow cost getting it to the dealer though as they'd still need to either replace the key and program it to the car or reprogram the current key to the car.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The RFID chip in the key doesn't need power - it picks it up from an induction ring located around the key slot. It's possible that part has gone bad. Or the computer has lost track of that key. Try one of your other keys (remote, valet).

Not having the system isn't an option - there's a federal law mandating it.

Chip H.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like it isn't recognizing the immobilizer chip. That doesn't take any battery power from the remote. It is the tiny chip in the lower right of the 'empty' part of the case in this picture:

It gets its power from the car by being within range of the sensor.
While it is a security measure it isn't the same as a regular security system cutting out the starter. The chip in the remote gets power from the field generated by the sensor in the ignition switch and the ECU in the vehicle reads the code on the chip. It then matches it to the code stored in the ECU. If it matches it allows the vehicle to start. If it doesn't respond with a code or it doesn't match then it flashes the warning light and won't start; like you are experiencing.

If you don't have anything else on the key ring that could cause interference (try it with just the key and nothing else) then I think they are right and it would have to be reprogrammed to your vehicle at the dealer.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check with a mobile locksmith but I'd think at most they'd have equipment to copy that chips programming onto another chip in a new key but doubt they'd have the equipment to connect to the car and tell it to recognize that key or a new key. It's worth a shot though.

Update:

Just found this:
http://handa-accessories.com/immobilizer.pdf

You'd have to get your local dealer to give you the code. I'm not sure if they'd charge for it or not but with the registration and your driver's license it should show them that you own the car with that VIN.
That will just get the vehicle started so you can save the tow cost getting it to the dealer though as they'd still need to either replace the key and program it to the car or reprogram the current key to the car.
When I noticed the flashing red key on the dash I looked in the manual to see what it was. It said the security system was on, and the fuel supply would be shut off. A Honda mechanic I spoke with said I shouldn't be able to turn the engine over (starter) but it does turn over. It was locked in park (it's an automatic) he told me how to bypass the lock in the steering column. He is not sure why the key is not reading though. This all happened when the timing belt broke although I don't see how their related.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a long shot, but have you checked for any blown fuses that might relate to this???
I wasn't in the truck when all this happened, and it was brought to a shop, so I assumed they checked all that. I've been occupied with the timing belt situation. I will go over the fuses when I finish. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts