Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2006 RL RT. It has app 102k miles, one owner. The MM is clear, and there is no obvious signs of abuse. But, there is not a complete record of all maintenance ever done.

So I am seeking the wisdom and vast experience of the owners of this amazing truck. What I wish to know is if there are any major maintenance costs I might run into soon with this particular vehicle? And is the MM being free of messages a good sign?

I think I read somewhere that you can clear it without completing the suggested maintenance from the maintenance code. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the fittings on the radiator for rust, they can corrode and cause tranny fluid to mix with coolant, essentially ruining the transmission.

Also, the #4 and #5 spark plugs have been known to loosen up and can cause problems (cracked head, stripped threads, etc)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
More important than checking for visual sign's of Rust would be pulling fluid samples and getting them tested at a Lab Such as Blackstone or Lab One Inc.

Far before rust is visible on the outside the internals are allowing the fluids between the AT & Radiator to mix

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If this vehicle is local, you may be able to contact local Honda dealer(s) and request a summary of any services provided using the VIN# for the truck. This may supplement missing maintenance records.
100K is an important milestone. It may need require a timing belt replacement in the near future if it was not already performed.
The radiator and condition of trans coolant lines are very important.
Also the condition of all the fluids. If in doubt, and you do purchase it, it may well be worth changing them all.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
Just to emphasize what Rollin said . . .

A Ridge with 105k is pretty much EXACTLY DUE for a major service. This will typically include replacing the timing belt, rollers and auto tensioner / water pump and serpentine belt / spark plugs / check and adjust the valve clearances. Note that Honda only recommends doing the valve clearance check if the motor is noisy but a number of those here have found that the exhaust valves were too tight which will not result in a noisy engine but can result in poor performance and engine harm. All these services if performed at a dealer could cost anywhere from $1200 to $2000.

If the truck has not had its 105K service done then this should obviously be part of the price negotiations.

The Maintenance Minder can be reset by anyone at anytime so it is no real guarantee that services were done correctly. If you do not have any service history, in addition to the 105k service mentioned above, you should plan on changing the transmission fluid, front transfer fluid, rear differential fluid, and perhaps the brake and power steering fluid. A new air filter and cabin filter would probably be a good idea as well. These services if done at the dealer would cost a bunch of $ but you can do them yourself fairly easily if you are at all handy.

An 06 Ridgeline will also probably be due for an airbag recall, and a fan motor wiring recall. It may also have issues with the rear seat supports not staying up when the seats are in the up position. Take a good look at the front and rear stabilizer bar end links and check the CV joint boots for leaks. Also as mentioned, at 105k it would probably be wise to replace the radiator as fittings for the built in transmission fluid heat / cool exchanger can fail resulting in transmission damage / failure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
At only 100K miles, if the truck looks good & even just minimal maintenance has been performed, you should not have any problems at all. But YOU must commence regular scheduled maintenance & keep it up religiously in order to have confidence in another 100-200K miles.
You will need to do the TB maintenance Eurban mentioned, if it hasn't been done (probably hasn't since not due 'til 105K).
If it looks good, sounds good, drives good.... you should go with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the great tips. I am going to take a mechanic buddy with me to look at it again this weekend. I'm also going to see if I can find the VIN on the Honda web site. Maybe there is more maintenance information over there as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts