Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving up through the trim levels, you don't get CarPlay until you go RTL-T, and the RTL-T package includes Sat Linked Nav.

I was hoping that CarPlay would be on-board in a package before you had to pay for Sat Linked Nav.

Sat in an RTL-T today with a salesman (they had a couple, including the color combo we want) and jacked in my iPhone 6, then did the coupling clicks to get it all paired up.

And of course, there was my Apple Maps navigation app, ready to go, and loaded up with all my locations. We started route, and it was going turn by turn, as expected.

So, if you have your phone's nav app, why do you need Honda's?

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The data used by Apple Maps is quite small, and if you set your route with WiFi before starting out, it is micro. And my data plan is Verizon medium, 3 gigs. Am using the Google Maps app often on the motorcycle and seeing no affect.

But "often" for me is maybe one route per week of less than 60 miles. If I was selling storm doors in peoples' homes and setting routes daily, two or three per, I would use more. My guess is that the data usage would still be way under my limit.

Let's take the guesswork out and compute. I checked my usage with Apple Maps and found a 30 minute 25 mile route used a little less than 500 kb. That is 0.00006 gigs, and my plan has 3 gigs of data per month.

So how much data do you get per month?

And if you don't own and use a smartphone, why are you paying the huge upgrade to get a car with a navigation package, when you can get a TomTom or a Garmin for practically nothing at WalMart?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.