Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted one since they announced them six years ago so I'm going to get a fully loaded Santa Cruz. They said they would not be producing them a year ago so I got the Ridgeline then as a substitute. Only have 6K miles on it and it has been lowered 2", flares added, debadged and blacked out. Like new.... so what do you think it's worth? Seems like they are in demand what with the shortage.

Just before I lowered it...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
260 Posts
Couldn’t imagine trading a Honda for a Hyundai, to each their own I suppose. Honestly the other day I was driving and thinking to myself why would anyone ever pick a Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc. by choice? Genuinely curious.

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
95 Posts
Here is some logical advice.
Wait 3 more years. Give it some time to see how that new powertrain and drivetrain works out for Hyundai.
The 2.5T is brand new without any reliability history.
Also, their 8-speed DCT transmission is new too.

Nothing against Hyundai. The problem is with new cars and the high chance of factory defects.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
247 Posts
Nice looking truck! I also like Hyundai cars and now trucks. I've owned several, and my wife has a Kona turbo. We traded in a Veloster turbo on it, plus many other cars from them. Never had any problems with any of them. I also like the Santa Cruz and may get one for the wife. The deal breaker for me is simply the short bed. I had a 6.5' bed on my last truck, and am now getting used to a 5.5' bed, I can't see going any smaller, but they do look cool. Keep us posted on it!

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
That BE is gorgeous. You did a great job. It will sell quickly.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
164 Posts
My wife still daily drives a 2006 hyundai elantra that we bought new. Great car, 150k trouble free miles, other than routine maintenance. I can only hope that my Ridgeline does as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Couldn’t imagine trading a Honda for a Hyundai, to each their own I suppose. Honestly the other day I was driving and thinking to myself why would anyone ever pick a Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc. by choice? Genuinely curious.
There was a time when people referred to Subaru's that way...now a used Subaru with 250,000 miles on it could be found selling for more than a same year Civic with 150,000 miles on it.

Hyundai's - all of their brands - has come a long way. Reminds me of the 1990s surge of Toyota and Honda. Remember when people snickered at Lexus? Why would anyone buy one over a Caddy?

*I'll give you Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apparently you haven't ever seen, driven, or read reviews for the Kia Telluride?
I'm sorry, I don't think the Kia Telluride - winner of the Motortrend SUV of the year, Car and Driver 10 Best, and the North American Car of The Year - would be a good indicator as to why anyone would ever pick a Kia by choice.

Their line up is riddled with losers. The Kia Stinger for example only won the JD Power Engineering Award once. Same with the US News Best Small Car in 2019.

It sure as heck isn't on US New's 2021 Best Cars for the Money. That is clearly accurate - Honda Passport, Honda CRV, Honda Odyssey are all on that list. (Please ignore the Kia Forte, Kia Soul, and Kia Sorento that are also on the list.)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
260 Posts
Apparently you haven't ever seen, driven, or read reviews for the Kia Telluride?
I don't doubt that the telluride might be a step up from typical Kia reliability however, I have spoken to many 3rd party mechanics and body repairmen who wouldn't turn their head towards a Kia. The reason I don't doubt that the Kia Telluride is a step above is because the price point is on par with the Pilot and for that amount of money I better be getting something worth my dollar. I also would say that both Kia and Hyundai have stepped up their quality over the past 5-7 years, and further I would say that Honda quality isn't what it used to be. I much prefer the build quality of my 8th gen Civic Si over my 2019 RL (The 8th gen civic was the last great Civic especially for the Si). I would still trust a Honda or Toyota over any other car manufacturer today. In closing it is sad to see quality of Honda fall and become more on par with everyone else.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you driven a Stinger? And who the hell listens to reviewers anyways.. The Pilot has turned into a mommy van, The Passport is a badge engineering joke and the Civics are a tin box cheap pos that will turn into a nice coffin when you get hit in it. The CRV and The HRV ( wtf is the HRV even here for? Like what is its purpose besides being another WAY overpriced under content companion with the CRV?). Honda better watch out. Hyundai will eat their lunch.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Kia and Hyundai come out with some nice designs and have a great warranty and they are knocking on the door so to speak. That new Tucson Hybrid looks to be good and has a conventional automatic and puts down some great numbers (don't like it has a turbo) but I suppose drives normally so you don't think you have a hybrid. That's a win in my book. It's going to be hard to ignore getting 10-15 more mpg's and have better performance and not have a dreaded CVT. IMO this is the direction just like Ford is doing with the F-150. Problem with Kia is resale and I don't see older ones on the road. This is all fairly new as the hybrid price premium is like 1k these days so the shift is just starting and it is more of revolutionary change than an evolutionary one. For those that keep their cars a long time and buy a gas only today I can see those being dinosaurs 5 years from now. It seems like noting is going to get less than 35 MPG's from the full sizers down. EV's get all the hype now but IMO they are far off from being daily drivers in all climates.

I do see a void though. The industry doesn't seem to have a hybrid replacement for NA V6's that will improve performance and get awesome mpg's like they have done with the 4 bangers. This may result in consumers avoiding a class. Take the Honda Passport for example, a nice 40k car that gets 20 mpg. Would you rather have that or a slightly smaller RAV4 Prime (when prices come to MSRP) that blows it away and gets double the MPGs? This is all up for grabs with the midsize trucks now. Ford could have made a huge impact on the segment with the Ranger and despite all the years of hype they bring over an old ute from Australia. If Honda has a hybrid for the Ridgeline it could be game over in the segment, the numbers and benefits of having a car platform would make gas only irrelevant IMO. They say Toyota is coming with Hybrid trucks so I guess the Taco may be he first but it better not be a CVT and it needs a cab redesign.

Remember not so long ago around the time of Y2K (ok, maybe it's a long time ago) when every business needed a webpage yesterday. That's kind of like how it is with Hybrids now. If all that Honda has is the CRV and Accord Hybrids that are not standouts I'd be concerned. It's like the industry has taken a reset while Toyota holds the trophy for now. Look at Mazda they've finally put the 2.5t in everything and it's going to usher in a new straight 6 and I see they have a hybrid version of something but will it be too little to late for them?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Knowing you were going to get rid of the Ridgeline so soon, why lower it? That is for sure going to lower the resale, plus whatever you paid to have it done. All out the window.
You could have done a low milage lease and walked away.

Anyway, I wish you luck and when you get your new ride come back and let us know how it compares.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Lol, I trust a review for the telluride about as much as I trust Hillary Clinton and CNN.
I don't doubt that the telluride might be a step up from typical Kia reliability...
I also would say that both Kia and Hyundai have stepped up their quality...
and further I would say that Honda quality isn't what it used to be.
it is sad to see quality of Honda fall and become more on par with everyone else.
I assume the answer is "no" as to whether you've seen, driven, reviewed the Telluride.
You shouldn't dismiss something you know nothing about.
Especially when acknowledging Kia quality has improved, while Honda quality has declined.

If you are in the market for a 3-row SUV, the Telluride is hands down the best vehicle in the class.
I have a friend who looked at them all and the decision wasn't even close.

I know you don't "trust" reviews, but I don't think Doug Demuro or Savagegeese have ever been accused of having a pro-Kia agenda.

And a vehicle test over the course of 40,000 miles is a review worth considering...
Our 2020 Kia Telluride Never Lost Its Luster

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have a 19 Ridgeline and 19 Pilot in the family. KIA and Hyundai are not what they use to be. They are becoming major players in the car industry and will take market share from Honda/Toyota..

I would never get a Santa Cruz over the RL. But I would consider a Telluride over a Pilot if I had to make the decision again.. Design is subjective but I've never liked the boxy look of the Telluride. The interior tech and design is better than the Pilot. Honda has some catching up to do in the tech/design side..

Generally, I think it's safe to say most modern cars can last beyond 100k with few problems with the drivetrain. There might be a few hiccups here and there but modern engines are quite reliable.. We all know Honda built transmissions are skeptical ( the 10spd seems to be doing okay so far). The ZF9 is not something to brag about, would've been nice for Honda to just set their pride aside and put the darn fantastic ZF8 in all their cars and called it a day.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
I was under the impression that a bunch of engineers and designers left Honda about a decade or so ago, and went to Hyundai. Too lazy to research it, but that is what i remember...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recall it was BMW M division that left and is now with Hyundai/Kia. That's why they now offer the N line and all the other Genesis vehicles, performance and higher end stuff.

And you can see the other side, BMW M models does not have the same spice as the old M.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
It's not like there is a finite supply of engineers. It's not a zero-sum game, there will always be younger, auto enthusiast engineers moving to take the empty slots.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
It's not like there is a finite supply of engineers. It's not a zero-sum game, there will always be younger, auto enthusiast engineers moving to take the empty slots.
True, but there is also the argument for experience and institutional knowledge. I suspect Hyundai knew what they were doing when recruiting employees from BMW and Honda. As well, an established commodity is a known commodity (e.g., - send a fool to college and you end up with an educated fool).

Obviously, there are young engineers who are brilliant, and there is a case to be made for getting rid of dead weight and injecting new blood and enthusiasm into the mix.

I suspect it is not the engineers at Honda that are the problem, but rather some of the decision-makers, as well as the QA/QC dept. They are probably making decisions that benefit the Honda corporation and keep the masses mostly happy, at the expense of some pricier decisions that some of us enthusiasts would envision.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts