Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish! so upset at the features and how they are laid out on these trucks. In canada from what i'm reading the RTL is basically an LX. Even the canada Sport edition has LED's, blacked out grille, door trim, etc... I mean you don't even get a backseat mirror in the eyeglass holder until you get into a RTL-E here in the US... how cheap is that! LED front side markers but no LED DRL until you get into a -T or above? I like my RL, but i think it's over-priced. (flame suit on). I should be able to order a Sport and customize it more. They already offer 12 variations of this truck for sale, why not tweak the build and price on the website? Anyone want to buy a white RTL with 1k miles on it? :wink:

·
Registered
246 Posts
1) Tarrifs, so blame the US government for taxing the heck out of imports so that GM can compete. That's why they are different.

2) Good luck on getting a Canadian model. If it was easy everyone near the border would buy one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
LED headlights don't kick in until the top trim level in Canada. Touring edition. You can view the detailed trim levels at the end of the specs doc here:
RIDGELINE 2017

But it seems odd to have certain features available only in Canada. Especially ventilated seats!
He meant DRL'S not headlights. The headlights are LED on both 'Merica and Canada's RTL-E and BE

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,891 Posts
RTL-E buyer here: I completely agree with the OP. The Ridgeline is overpriced and too many things are pushed up onto the upper trim levels, things like safety features and a sliding rear window — which should be attainable at every trim level, even if that means it's manual instead of electric. But to reserve it for the RTL-E is something of a crime in my book. And a base level form of Honda Sensing, including collision mitigation, should be on every car that Honda produces.

My wife and I are looking at the Pilot for her. Top-of-the-line Elite model is $47K. Top-of-the-line for the Kia Sorrento is $45K. Last time I checked, which may have been over a year ago, the top-of-the-line Toyota Highlander model was $48K. (I'm really liking starting to like that Subaru Forrester quite a bit. Corresponding number: $37K.)

My point: cars have gotten really expensive in the last few years. In 2007, the top-of-the-line Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited was $39 - 41K, depending upon whether you got rearseat entertainment.

Reactions: Andrew Diamond

·
Registered
246 Posts
My wife and I are looking at the Pilot for her. Top-of-the-line Elite model is $47K. Top-of-the-line for the Kia Sorrento is $45K. Last time I checked, which may have been over a year ago, the top-of-the-line Toyota Highlander model was $48K. (I'm really liking starting to like that Subaru Forrester quite a bit. Corresponding number: $37K.)

My point: cars have gotten really expensive in the last few years. In 2007, the top-of-the-line Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited was $39 - 41K, depending upon whether you got rearseat entertainment.
In 2001 a $43K Lexus here sold for $19K in Japan. Your pointing out imports which are taxed heavily. To compete with US made cars prices the foreign cars have to leave a few things out. Thats the bottom line.
So if they added that stuff were "missing" it would cost even more. If you went to Canada and bought one you'd have to pay about 15% at the border. Ever see a duty free store in the airport or on a cruise ship and see foreigners going wild in there. Thats why. Import taxes suck.

It been going on for years & years. 1990s civics in Japan had climate control among other things. Even Hyundais in Korea had more options we didn't see. Cause of the internet your just now catching on.

Not to turn this into a political thing but if someone starts messing with our trade with China, stuff is going to get even more expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could not agree with you more.after i sheel out 37000 dollars for a car then i have to spend 150 dollars for hid headlights .then and this is my choice another 1900 on wheels and tires because the wheels and tires that come with the vehicle an rtl 2017 are so ugly and tiny tires to boot dont get me wrong of all trucks in this class the is the winner unless you plan on going wheeling but gee honda why so creedy

·
Registered
461 Posts
Used to be us Canadian would flock to the states to by cheaper cars but now it is sort of reversed mostly due to the low Canadian $. Got so bad that the manufacturers came up with some new rules where a Canadian was not permitted to purchase a new car in the US no more. Tried to go through my brother who lives in taxless NH but they closed that loophole because the contracts actually have a note that the car cannot be exported for a period of 1 year!

A top of the line Touring RL here goes for $48,000 + tax which is around $36,500 US with all the Canadian only additions assuming you do not need to pay the tax or can get it back. Nice thing about this vehicle is the dash is really both metric and non since the only item that needs to be changed is the digital readout on the dash which is very straight forward on the Canadian model which takes about 7 seconds to toggle between KPH and MPH. Same goes for heating control readout in C or F. One important item that needs to be verified is how do they handle the warranty if cross border shopped.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
My "06" is lookin better everyday from what Ive been reading lately. 58 days and counting, theirs more to life then a $38,000+ new vehicle that many have some sort of issue with and some will be getting rid of it within a few years any way. Cheers carry on..........

·
Registered
47 Posts
My "06" is lookin better everyday from what Ive been reading lately. 58 days and counting, theirs more to life then a $38,000+ new vehicle that many have some sort of issue with and some will be getting rid of it within a few years any way. Cheers carry on..........
I agree. That's why I purchased my '13 RTL with low miles after looking at the G2. Saved $1000's of dollars and got most all the options I wanted and none that I didn't want (in bed exciters).

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Somehow I suspect that all of this discussion will help Honda decide to add many features to the US RL in future years. Then those with a 17 will want an 18 or 19. Cars will be sold, more cars will be built, and more profits will be made. Thus is the circle of life in the car industry....

Oh, yeah, about a third of the folks here will be mad that they have to buy all of that "stuff" just to get the Sunroof or other feature on their truck. Another third will complain that everything should be available on the lower end models (which is what sets them apart from the higher end models). The last third of us will just enjoy our fantastic trucks!

............Just Sayin'

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did many time importation from the US into Canada, almost all my cars were from the US. The process is straightforward and simple. In Canada you pay only sales tax were applicable and some little money like few hundred bucks for some paper. The same rule applies to importation back to the US.

There is no 15% paid!!! Forget about.

Some ppl can even use credit/loans on imported vehicles then.

Ask if you have more questions...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I did many time importation from the US into Canada, almost all my cars were from the US. The process is straightforward and simple. In Canada you pay only sales tax were applicable and some little money like few hundred bucks for some paper. The same rule applies to importation back to the US.

There is no 15% paid!!! Forget about.

Some ppl can even use credit/loans on imported vehicles then.

Ask if you have more questions...
So, I will...:wink:

In general...after it's all set & done (exchange, tax, paperwork...some other GOV misc. fees...etc. ).

Is it the savings ?? or is it a matter of finding a rare gem ? ... cause I find it hard to see the final price = savings...maybe some...but how substantial ??

I also heard that "NEW" vehicle cannot be imported into canada...has to be labelled as "USED"...how true is that ? and is there a "loophole" ? :wink:

and all the runaround to get all the proper paperwork done...etc. ( to me, time is money...so those times getting permits are considered money lost & stressful..:crying: )

Thanks for the any info ! :nerd: :smile:

~~~
I wouldn't mind importing a couple of toys from Japan !! >:)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Somehow I suspect that all of this discussion will help Honda decide to add many features to the US RL in future years. Then those with a 17 will want an 18 or 19. Cars will be sold, more cars will be built, and more profits will be made. Thus is the circle of life in the car industry....

Oh, yeah, about a third of the folks here will be mad that they have to buy all of that "stuff" just to get the Sunroof or other feature on their truck. Another third will complain that everything should be available on the lower end models (which is what sets them apart from the higher end models). The last third of us will just enjoy our fantastic trucks!

............Just Sayin'
Exactly what the recent "Focus ST" folks were saying/thinking when the new RS was announced for the 1st time ever in North America ! ( with torque vectoring...like ours ) >:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, I will...:wink:

In general...after it's all set & done (exchange, tax, paperwork...some other GOV misc. fees...etc. ).

Is it the savings ?? or is it a matter of finding a rare gem ? ... cause I find it hard to see the final price = savings...maybe some...but how substantial ??

I also heard that "NEW" vehicle cannot be imported into canada...has to be labelled as "USED"...how true is that ? and is there a "loophole" ? :wink:

and all the runaround to get all the proper paperwork done...etc. ( to me, time is money...so those times getting permits are considered money lost & stressful..:crying: )

Thanks for the any info ! :nerd: :smile:

~~~
I wouldn't mind importing a couple of toys from Japan !! >:)
Yes. The minimum savings would be around $10K, higher price better savings. For example, on my current g1 I saved around $12K. It was well worthy to go to Boston and buy it!

Thats not true. You can import any type of vehicle from the US! You can not import from others countries besides it must be 15 or 25 years old, can't recall it right now. What ppl do, they import any type of vehicle into the US, which is way easy, make papers and bring it into Canada.

There is no time needs at all. You drive your imported vehicle to any crosspoint. The customs guy will hand you some paper you must fill in, you show them your title and bill of sales, pay $100 at the border or if you have all amount of money right away which I would recommend and you are free to go. Different provinces have different taxes. I live in Alta and we have only GST (sales tax 5%), for example in ON, GST is around 8% and HST(another sales tax for around another 9% for example - I just don't know) and thats it. After you arrived home, you have 1 month to make inspection and install DRL if you don't have. I did it by myself, then go to local dealer or car shop and do inspection.Inspection costs around $400, they look mostly at your DRL. Then you mail all docs to special agency and they mail back to you canadian labels you must attach to the sun visor....Thats it. (riv is that site you need to look at)

There are plenty info how to do it for canada or US. Ppl mostly afraid of dealing with gov-t agency thinking that it would be highly impossible or complicated. Not at all. Everything is straight forward and before you do your home work and you are good to go then.

There are plenty japanese LHD cars in canada. I have a buddy from Bestbuy driving one of them. They have these Monteros AWD, Land Crusers AWD, Nissans, Mistsus...Guys imported some real 4x4 with only 40K miles from japan for $2500!!!! Yes, it is 25 years old but where you can get almost brand new 4x4 with all whistles for $2500 and no crash history!?

Yes, I did go to school in Boston, so I still have some ssn and had some driving license allowing me to buy cars in finance, then I paid it off before importation while I drove them in Canada....jejeje...This is not true that canadians can not buy a car in the US!. Some might say no, but mostly dealers are ok. You might not get a finance, but thing is, canadians go to the states, exchange their DL to local one and head up to the dealer.....you know what I mean, piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Hard to understand why they still let this happen. $hit anyone around here has a hard time transporting a load of wood within a few miles within the state. What happens if one of them Pine Beetles, Ash Borers or the many other destructive bugs wants to hitch a ride to Canada or the other way.:grin: Frickin bugs are goin to rule the world someday, there gettin bigger and harder to kill. I'll have to look into the Canada thing when time comes but sounds like a lot of work and dont know what can happen down the line for warranty issues. Seems like some Canadians buy down here while some US folks buy up their what gives........

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes. The minimum savings would be around $10K, higher price better savings. For example, on my current g1 I saved around $12K. It was well worthy to go to Boston and buy it!
I fail to see where these supposed savings come from buying in the US and bringing the truck to Canada. An E model is 41,470 US$, which is 54,501 $Can. The Canadian comparable Touring is 47,090 $Can., $7500 less and has more options. It would benefit taking the Canadian truck to the US, where you would only be putting up $35,838 US for more truck than the E.

The cross-border shopping was an issue when the dollars were closer to par and the price difference exceeded the currency differential. That's when most manufacturers came forward to protect their dealers and said cross-border warranties wouldn't be honored.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

...This is not true that canadians can not buy a car in the US!. Some might say no, but mostly dealers are ok. You might not get a finance, but thing is, canadians go to the states, exchange their DL to local one and head up to the dealer.....you know what I mean, piece of cake.
Thanks for all the other info...:nerd::smile:

But my other question was about importing a "brand new" vehicle to Canada...

Heard that vehicle needs to be classified as used to import...hence the loophole question. :wink:

???

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I fail to see where these supposed savings come from buying in the US and bringing the truck to Canada. An E model is 41,470 US$, which is 54,501 $Can. The Canadian comparable Touring is 47,090 $Can., $7500 less and has more options. It would benefit taking the Canadian truck to the US, where you would only be putting up $35,838 US for more truck than the E.

The cross-border shopping was an issue when the dollars were closer to par and the price difference exceeded the currency differential. That's when most manufacturers came forward to protect their dealers and said cross-border warranties wouldn't be honored.
Very true... for on topic discussion ( RL models ) :nerd:

but the thread got side tracked >:)

if you read the original title...yes...OP want Canadian trims import into USA... then we ended up with importing in general...then it went the other way --->> Canada (eH ? >:) )

:act060:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts