Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sounds good, but I guess they are only excited since its the newest truck in the market and then they will forget about it like the first gen where mods are limited.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Should find out soon if the Truck can be lifted.
You've probably mentioned this already in the past and I just missed it, but with all the hunting trails you drive and the clearance issues you've described, I have often wondered why you haven't lifted your Gen1 RL...not that it's really any of my business! I'm always interested to learn more about the pros and cons of lifting RLs with their unique drive trains and suspensions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You've probably mentioned this already in the past and I just missed it, but with all the hunting trails you drive and the clearance issues you've described, I have often wondered why you haven't lifted your Gen1 RL...not that it's really any of my business! I'm always interested to learn more about the pros and cons of lifting RLs with their unique drive trains and suspensions.
I'm curious as well. Does lifting it with those 2 in or 3 in spacers hurt the truck? Is out possible to change the other suspension parts to make the lift more complete?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I never planned on keeping my RL very long. At 1st I was only keeping it a year & then get something else. I didn't want to waste the money on it to lift it. Then a year passed & I decided to keep it one more year. Didn't lift it then either. Used the same logic as before, only keeping it a year why spend the money. Same scenario for year three. Then I was close to paying it off & didn't want to spend money on a new truck. At this point I was getting close to 200K miles on my RL & decided it had too many miles to lift.

I decided I would roll with what I have. I've gotten immune to bottoming out, it doesn't bother me anymore. I hear the bang & clang sound & never miss a beat. I keep an eye on the gauges hoping my oil or tranny fluid doesn't leak out & continue down the trail.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Should find out soon if the Truck can be lifted.
Joe answered this earlier

Those looking for a suspension lift are pretty much S.O.L. There will be none from Honda and even if some aftermarket company tried to make one the MOST they could lift the front end would be about an inch. Anything beyond that would damage the driveline. I asked about bigger tires and was told NO and then was told how close the OEM's come to rubbing but I can't remember the specific number (10 mm??). I know this will set off a rampage, but I was talking to engineers off the record and was told it just couldn't be done. You might get away with more lift in the back but that's pretty pointless.

I was not permitted to measure anything, but ground clearance looked pretty good. The even included what they called a front skid plate (I have pics I'll post).

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
What exactly did Joe answer? Honda won't be providing a lift. Thats not much of a surprise . . .They didn't offer a lift on the GenI either . . .

I would think that it is pretty likely that the aftermarket will offer a lift options similar to GenI.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Joe: "...even if some aftermarket company tried to make one, the MOST they could lift the front end would be about an inch. Anything beyond that would damage the driveline..."

I think Joe's answer raises the possibility of Honda voiding your warranty if you lift the new RL by more than an inch in the front. Honda engineers gave what could be a canned answer to this question, which might not actually be any different than what they would have said about Gen1. So, like Gen1, I still think someone will try to lift it. It's just too soon to say what the risks will be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joe: "...even if some aftermarket company tried to make one, the MOST they could lift the front end would be about an inch. Anything beyond that would damage the driveline..."

I think Joe's answer raises the possibility of Honda voiding your warranty if you lift the new RL by more than an inch in the front. Honda engineers gave what could be a canned answer to this question, which might not actually be any different than what they would have said about Gen1. So, like Gen1, I still think someone will try to lift it. It's just too soon to say what the risks will be.
So you could lift it if you maintain some sort of forward cant basically, right?

So like 2 in in back and 3 in front? ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i lifted mine with the TRUXX 2in lift kit handles good still but i just did it for the looks more than off roading, it took about 4 hours myself and a friend that had a car lift did it. so if i do ever need to go off road which i hope never happens lol i will be able to with out worrying about getting stuck

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So you could lift it if you maintain some sort of forward cant basically, right? So like 2 in in back and 3 in front? ?
I'm not a lifting expert, but I think it may have more to do with changing the angle of the front drive axles. As you lift the body/engine, those drive angles will also shift, which may cause stress and wear beyond their design criteria. There could be strut travel problems too, depending on the lift kit. You might want to browse the threads in the Gen1 ROCF section that discuss lifting the truck. I know there are Gen1 owners who have lifted their RLs without issues, so you really have to be your own judge on the risks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not a lifting expert, but I think it may have more to do with changing the angle of the front drive axles. As you lift the body/engine, those drive angles will also shift, which may cause stress and wear beyond their design criteria. There could be strut travel problems too, depending on the lift kit. You might want to browse the threads in the Gen1 ROCF section that discuss lifting the truck. I know there are Gen1 owners who have lifted their RLs without issues, so you really have to be your own judge on the risks.
I think you are correct. Most of the time the CV angles are what is the concern. Judging from what I know about lifting my other trucks, I think that when the CVs neutral position is forced down (spacer lift) you tend to hit the extreme angles more and during the wrong times, like when you accelerate from a stop, or climbing something off-road, causing the damage to the CVs. I'm very curious to see the tire clearances on this truck. I think for me, a solid set of all terrains with a little more height will suit my dirt road and true truck duties just fine. Oh and Husky, if you're listening, we will be needing some X-act fit floor liners / mats please.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Joe answered this earlier
I saw Joe's quote when he posted it.

I fully expected Honda to say NO to a lift. Doesn't mean it can't happen. If SEMA is serious about accessories for the new Ridgeline they'll will probably try to develop a lift.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I saw Joe's quote when he posted it.

I fully expected Honda to say NO to a lift. Doesn't mean it can't happen. If SEMA is serious about accessories for the new Ridgeline they'll will probably try to develop a lift.
NO QUESTION someone will offer a lift kit.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Will someone offer a lowering kit that is the question. No I don't want one. Looks like it would be a beauty of a sport truck to me. That sloping car front end with spoiler and the sleek lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts