Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is Honda only putting Sensing on RTL-E? On the Pilot its optional on EX and above. Its a very important safety package.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why is Honda only putting Sensing on RTL-E? On the Pilot its optional on EX and above. Its a very important safety package.
Second to this. Honda, please make sensing an option for other trims.

My wife's Pilot EXL w sensing traveled on a 45 mpg limit road and got T-boned by a car that failed to stop at a stop sign. Pilot's collision mitigation system stopped the car automatically after impact. The wife said she was freaked out and didn't remember pressing the brake pedal. Luckily no one was injured. Our car is in a body shop with $17k damage. The other car, Nissan, was totaled (air bag was not deployed).

So yes, "Its a very important safety package."

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pilot's collision mitigation system stopped the car automatically after impact.
Man, I think I just blew my chicken salad all over my keyboard!!! (SORRY)
CMBS doesn't have the logic to brake AFTER an impact. Kind of moot at that point. >:)
Prolly either physics or your wife's foot stopped the Pilot. Human brains don't make very good event data recorders for unexpected events that last a few hundred milliseconds.

Seriously.....glad nobody was hurt though.

But ya it doesn't make sense it's only on the RTLE and Black Ridgelines.
Hell you can even get a Civic EX with Sensing and it comes STANDARD on every CR-V except the LX.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man, I think I just blew my chicken salad all over my keyboard!!! (SORRY)
Hope your keyboard is spill proof:)

CMBS doesn't have the logic to brake AFTER an impact. Kind of moot at that point. >:)
Prolly either physics or your wife's foot stopped the Pilot. Human brains don't make very good event data recorders for unexpected events that last a few hundred milliseconds.
I wasn't there so not sure. When I got there, I heard a voice saying 'Collision has detected, calling Honda...'. The IIHS tested CMBS and stated the system braked Pilot and reduced impact speed from 25 mph to 13 mph. Since the Nissan hit the right front wheel of our car, I assume collision detection radar sensed it when the Nissan was really close and system applied brake. I would like to learn how the system is designed so I know what to expect. Do you know where I can find literature?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Hope your keyboard is spill proof:)

I wasn't there so not sure. When I got there, I heard a voice saying 'Collision has detected, calling Honda...'. The IIHS tested CMBS and stated the system braked Pilot and reduced impact speed from 25 mph to 13 mph. Since the Nissan hit the right front wheel of our car, I assume collision detection radar sensed it when the Nissan was really close and system applied brake. I would like to learn how the system is designed so I know what to expect. Do you know where I can find literature?
Man, very glad everyone's in good shape. I was just reading this and actually that is very cool what CMBS could do. From what you explain, if the Honda hadn't braked to reduce the speed, your right front tire could have been right passenger door (guessing by your description).

If I can try to interpret what you were suggesting, you were thinking it detected the impact "while it was in progress" and made the vehicle slow down or stop. I'm going to guess (based on the link below) that the radar/sensors detected the cross-approaching vehicle when it reached within its visual sensing area (a fan pattern up to 300+ ft). And formulated that "this is not safe" (potential collision). So, it began to apply the brakes... the time that was given, at the speeds traveling allow for the car to be braked to 13 mph.

From the view of the pattern below from Honda's description it appears not to sense cross-traffic so much as that fan pattern in front. So it may have been by chance that the vehicle was sensed early enough to begin avoidance, being is was approaching from the side.

And what you are hearing for the message is the Honda-Link App noting that there was a collision and automatically dialed for help.

All very cool (except for the collision part). And I agree, it should be standard/optioned for all models. If both vehicles had this, there probably would not have been a collision.
--
Edit: Here is a Honda provided link regarding CMBS. It is not specifically for the Ridgeline but may give you insight.
LINK: How does Honda's Collision Mitigation Braking System? work

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know for fact, but someone on the forum suggested that CMBS won't bring the car to a complete stop, I have to research that myself, but if this were true... then I believe Honda is engineering it to bring it to a "safe" speed, so that if it were head-on or tailgating collisions then they wouldn't be serious.
It CAN and will completely stop the vehicle before impact under ideal conditions, but there are too many variables that can cause it not to, so Honda has to say it may not or does not to cover to help cover their asses.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
^^^ Thanks for that. So funny I just discovered the answer as well and updated my post, you got the old part of the post.

Valuable information though... answered questions that I had, as well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It CAN and will completely stop the vehicle before impact under ideal conditions
I just don't have the guts to test that theory. I've tried, but I always chicken out. Never thought of a box or balloons. Maybe I'll do some playing out at the track when the whether smartens up :smile:

BTW, that second video, they put the film in backwards. The drivers on the wrong side of the car :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Never thought of a box or balloons. Maybe I'll do some playing out at the track when the whether smartens up :smile:
Roll vid if you do, that would be fun. :) I assume by watching the second video that you would need to wrap the balloon(s)/box with foil for the RADAR to detect. Hence probably why the Honda video states that it gets tripped up with train tracks at the bottom of the hills (and why it doesn't detect people well). And prolly balloons would be a little more difficult because they are so curved... but making the test more interesting.

If it would need to be foil, wrap your vehicle to protect the paint if it doesn't stop! :) -cheers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It CAN and will completely stop the vehicle before impact under ideal conditions, but there are too many variables that can cause it not to, so Honda has to say it may not or does not to cover to help cover their asses.
Driver in first video stated radar sensing angle is wider in lower speed to detect pedestrians and narrower in highway speed. Our car was at ~40 mph. The POI was at front bumper right corner, cracked bumper, knocked out fog light and nearby trim. Then moved onto the front wheel, pushing it in and backwards and blew the tire, then swept lower portion of front door and most back door and scratched rear wheel and tire. My guess is car radar did sense the car coming but I have no proof. Going to put a dash cam in when we get car back in a few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts