Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably similar to the other Sensor versus Camera thread but a little different. I live in the North-East, where snow is a regular occurrence in the winter as well as really cold weather. While I do have the Navigation unit to tie the camera into, I am concerned that in really cold weather the lens may fog over or just not work making it a very expensive but useless tool. I have no experience with cameras on cars, so I am really concerned that it work consistently. I don't see the advantage to installing both, and given my experience in car repair (nil) I don't know if I am going to be able to tackle an install of the camera myself so it is going to be above $1k to get the camera.

Does anyone with one of the other vehicles with camera know how well it works in very cold weather or in temperatures that can vary by over 50 degrees in a single day? And are your cameras mounted in a similar fashion to the Ridgeline's? The story today about the sensor saving someone from hitting a kid really makes me want to do something soon, because we have kids up and down on this street all the time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
install the sensor first. It warns the driver and people behind the truck with beeps. If you install the hitch sensor, you can move from car to car.

The camera is only good for the driver and only if you look at it in good weather. However, I would install a camera behind a trailer if you have the extra cash.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I am going to get anything installed it is going to be the Honda accessory, I want it completely integrated into the truck. I won't likely be towing anything. The trailer hitch was purchased so I could put a hitch mount canoe carrier on my truck. Still wondering how well the camera works in poor weather. There is the additional issue that the backup camera sort of hangs off the back while the sensors don't stick out but provide a protective service. Does anyone know if the sensors work properly with the gate down?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The camera is sealed from the weather and should work in all conditions. I've only had it in the rain so far and it really did not effect the picture quality.

The backup sensors are effected by the weather and will not work as well during snow, rain, wind or covered with dirt. If you have the Honda sensors the middle two sensors will disengage if the tailgate is down so as not to go off giving false readings but it's effectiveness is reduced using only the outer two sensors.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well given the mounting position of the camera, won't I only get a really nice picture of my license plate when the gate is down? So they are both less effective with the gate down but at least the sensors still have some effectiveness. But I think given what you said, I will probably pick the camera. I did see your post about installing the camera yourself. Not sure how adventurous I feel about this but maybe I will try it. Worst that could happen is I could find myself out another few thousand to get repairs done right? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We had one freak snowstorm on June 7th and the camera worked just fine. We'll have to wait until next winter to see how the cold affects it. Thus far the only time it's been less than perfect was in heavy rain when a few drops settled on the camera lens. We love the camera!

We haven't tried backing with the tailgate down, but you're right, if it doesn't disengage you would only see into your license plate area. But your tailgate would be DOWN so unless you packed it solid you could see out the back better looking over your shoulder.

We paid the over $1K for the dealer install and don't regret a penny of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it does not disengage when the tailgate is down so you see the ground.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It worked fine today in the rain & fog in RI.

As I understand it, the backup sensors will sense the tailgate in their field and beep that you are close to something, essentially making them ineffective with the gate down. (I could be completely wrong on that, I don't have them).

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have had no problems with the camera in the rain. I'm not sure about the sensors, though. I haven't backed near anything during the rain to determine if the sensitivity is decreased or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts