Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who post here for owner's insights on this vehicle. I've been in the process of evaluating for a while now and I am impressed. It's to the point where a black RT is in the driveway with dealer plates on it. I'm waiting for the wife to get home so she can take it for a drive.

I'm trying to get a lower payment than my '03 Silverado so the current lease deal is looking pretty good. (And the warranty runs out next month).I've had a few problems with the Chevy (u-joints,tailgate latch,ABS sensors) that I don't think I should have with less than 23,000 miles. I shouldn't be making payments and repairs.

The ridgeline doesn't seem to me to be as underpowered as some of the reviews give it. I am a little concerned by the blind spot at the 'B' pillar too. For those who live in snow country.....(where I live,lake effect snow can drop at 1-2 inches/hr)....how does it handle on snow/ice covered roads?

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buy the truck!

Snow driving is extremely good. I live in Northern Canada. We have snow more then half the year. Snow conditions vary from heavy, wet, icy to powder flake. Had the Ridgeline up to the snow line just a few days ago and was really surprised at how effective the stock tires are. Definitely if you only have occasional snow you won’t need snow tires. The whole traction system performed very well especially on the icy/hard packed surfaces…I’m putting Mich X-ice tires on soon and will let everyone know how they hold up…

L

·
0 Posts
No issues in the snow. I tried to get Ridgena stuck last March and could not and never had to go into VTM, VSA, HIS, or anything.
( HIS - Help I'm Stuck ) It was a pleasure to drive by all the F.O.R.D trucks stuck in the median. :D
I also get lake effect snow. Rest assured. You'll be safe as can be.
:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was recently caught in a snow storm here in Colorado. There was 12" of snow on the ground with a layer of slush underneath. Driving was okay but not as good as a true 4x4 vehicle. I did get stuck once but was able to get out after sliding the front of the vehicle over a few feet. The original tires do load up with snow if it's wet. I'd like to know how those X-ice tires work for you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ROColorado said:
I was recently caught in a snow storm here in Colorado. There was 12" of snow on the ground with a layer of slush underneath. Driving was okay but not as good as a true 4x4 vehicle. I did get stuck once but was able to get out after sliding the front of the vehicle over a few feet. The original tires do load up with snow if it's wet. I'd like to know how those X-ice tires work for you.
I am guessing you are saying this from having actually driven a 4x4 vehicle in similar conditions but I have found that there are a lot of people who get stuck with a 4x4 more than I ever got stuck with a basic front wheel drive vehicle because they tried to do things that you normally wouldn't with a car simple because it was a 4x4. Are you speaking of a vehicle with similar tires in similar conditions but with a regular 4x4 gearing does better? Just last winter I had to help another guy get his truck out of his driveway because he kept trying to gun it. I talked to him briefly and he was from Florida. He hadn't put the vehicle in low but really it wasn't necessary, he just had to take it easy and it came right out. Although I had to actually get his truck out because he couldn't get it.

On the original note, I have found this truck to be very good in mixed conditions, but I haven't had snow to deal with yet. Maybe this will mean that I can avoid digging out the front yard for a couple days and it will just melt ;). Although last year we tried that once then it snowed again on top of it to the tune of over a foot and it was torture trying to dig out when there was ice at the bottom of it all.

Below was a picture after we dug out from a 27" snow storm. We were out in it with the Forester without any issue and I have a little more faith in the Ridgeline although it doesn't have all that greater a ground clearance. Pretty much any vehicle will work with the right amount of care.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ladyridge said:
Our backyard last winter. This is normal. :eek:
These pics were taken April 24th, 2005.
My Dad told me, that when he was growing up in Midland, TX, they had to run back to the outhouse to use the bathroom. Winter was tough, hard to go pottie when your freezing your you know what...my question is, :D do you have heat in your outhouse shown in the third pic?

·
Registered
218 Posts
kbird said:
Buy the truck!

…I’m putting Mich X-ice tires on soon and will let everyone know how they hold up…
I'm intyerested in hearing more about how you like the Mich x-tires. How much will they cost and do you have other information on these tires? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, those pics look a lot like NNY in the winter. I'm very familiar with the 4X4 in the ditch syndrome. We get a lot of folks new in the area from southern climates who buy one on the sales pitch "you can go anywhere!" They don't tell them they can also go farther out in the field :rolleyes:

The wife was impressed with the Ridgeline. Looks like we will be getting it on Staurday :D

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I'm sorry guys, but I can't relate at all! The deepest snow I have ever been in was when I was driving a friend from Chicago back to California 2 years ago. Started snowing in Wyoming and had to sleep over before reaching Utah! It had just began to snow! (Thank God for SoCal) :) But not ever having been in snow that deep would probably be a fun experience once! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
flathead said:
Yup, those pics look a lot like NNY in the winter. I'm very familiar with the 4X4 in the ditch syndrome. We get a lot of folks new in the area from southern climates who buy one on the sales pitch "you can go anywhere!" They don't tell them they can also go farther out in the field :rolleyes:

The wife was impressed with the Ridgeline. Looks like we will be getting it on Staurday :D
Congrates! you're going to love it! Welcome to the ROC! :cool:

·
Registered
774 Posts
flathead said:

Great decision. My wife loves ours too:) Many years of safe, happy driving to you. Post some pictures for the rest of us to see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome flathead...my wife loves it too!! Everytime she rides with me (the RL is the primary transport) she comments on how nice it rides and how quiet it is. She does not drive the RL, she does'nt want to have an accident with it. Also, the truck is too big for her. It does take awhile to get used to it....but darn if I don't fall in love again with my Ridgeline whenever I see or drive her. And you will, as with most members here.:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
flathead,
Glad you came to a decision.
You're original post made me think about an article that sold me on Honda's AWD system; though this USA Today, James Healey article back in 2000 was for the then new 2001 Acura MDX:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/healey/0029.htm

"Acura MDX humbles Old Man Winter"
"The design goal was "beat winter." Thus, the MDX has a type of four-wheel drive aimed at snowy, icy roads. In a comparison test, a prototype MDX kicked the goobers out of rivals on snow and slush in the Rocky Mountains.

"Mercedes-Benz ML320 and BMW X5 fell on their faces in the slick stuff. Their traction-control systems tried to halt the vehicles by applying the brakes when wheels spun, instead of keeping them going through the tough stuff. Lexus RX 300 wound up bouncing off snowbanks. The rear-wheel-drive portion of its four-wheel drive doesn't kick in until the front wheels lose traction. By then, the Lexus was irretrievably headed for the ditch.

"MDX could be slung around snowy corners with nary a shiver or slither. It could be accelerated viciously on slush without falling into the whimpering, thumb-sucking standstill of its German rivals."

We had an AWD Dodge Grand Caravan ES and a 99 Ody then and got a 2003 Pilot in Aug 02 largely due to the many positive reviews and this one in particular. Wife's subsequent hand's on testing here in eastern Muddyland validated that review. She has winter stories of being the only one to make it up hills, including SUVs and 4WDs and without slipping and sliding.

The MDX AWD is very similar to that in the Pilot but a little different to the RL as it is FWD switching to AWD, and the RL as we know from Kodiak and others is AWD switching to FWD along with many other improvements and significantly addition of Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA). (Not sure if original MDX had VSA !?).

I expect Honda has applied their "Beat Winter" philosophy to RL (heated wipers!) and for it to review even better in snow than MDX!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With summer here as warm as it was, the lake is warmer than normal. That could translate into some significant snowfall as the "Alberta Clippers" blow down from the NW. Anybody who has driven in 'lake effect' can attest to how much fun it is to go from sunshine to zero visibility in a mile or less.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts once I've got some miles our new toy. Tomorrow at 1000 I join the "Ridgeline Clan" :D :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's been a week today since I picked up the ridge'. The reaction from all my friends has been a resounding WOW. Everyone has been impressed with all the standard features and most want to test the cooler's (oops I mean trunk) capacity :D .

·
Registered
964 Posts
flathead said:
It's been a week today since I picked up the ridge'. The reaction from all my friends has been a resounding WOW. Everyone has been impressed with all the standard features and most want to test the cooler's (oops I mean trunk) capacity :D .
Yay! I'm glad you are still loving the truck :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It's an easy truck to fall in love with. We can sound so sappy. Like HEYRIDGELINE, who falls in love over and over. I just hope you feel as fond of your wife as you do for your truck. I'd hate to see you end up with the first divorce ever on the basis of alienation of affection caused by a truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts