Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife currently drives a 2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon. We were (and are) planning on replacing it with a Tesla Model X in the next couple of years, but there are a few things that have led me to believe that a truck might fit into the mix at this point (that is, we would still get the Model X in the long run, but use the truck to replace the wagon, and then likely keep the truck even after getting Model X)

1. Since I have a Tesla Model S, I am starting to think we should keep at least 1 petrol/gasoline car in the household.
2. We keep going to places that are on dirt/gravel roads where the wagon doesn't fare very well. We also go on a few ski trips every year where 4wd/AWD would be helpful
3. A lot of our trips wind up involving one or a combination of kayaks, bicycles and skis. Roof rails (which we have) and a hitch receiver (which we don't have) would help a lot
4. I seem to keep finding myself putting tools and lumber in my Model S. I would like a Lowe's/Home Depot - home project vehicle. A plug in the back to keep power tool batteries charged up would also be great.
5. Since we are losing the wagon, the underbed trunk seems like a reasonable substitute. A bed cover would probably be in the mix as well.

I have considered the Colorado Diesel and the Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 as well, but am leaning toward the Ridgeline due to:
Crossover like driving manners / Pilot SUV based with independant rear suspension
Much better cabin room / space utilization
unique features (underbed trunk / two way liftgate)
Slightly better fuel efficiency

Since driving comfort and being able to maneuver/park in an urban/suburban environment are more important to me than towing/offroad/bed capacity and since the last 3 will be way better than the "low to the ground" wagon....well...

Unlike a lot of folks here, I am comparing what I am buying to what I currently have. I really don't care how Ridgeline compares to Tacoma/F-150/Ram yada yada.

So, while I know I have some reading to do here on the forums:

Any other considerations?

Anything that I might need to know?

Thanks!

· Registered
49 Posts
Honda will be the most service free vehicle you own. They are hard to beat for reliability.
I am a bit biased, as I worked for Honda in Quality Control at Marysville, Ohio plants back in the 80's when they just started building Accords in America. I've owned several Honda's over the years, and I too am purchasing a
RTL-E right now. Good choice.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Great choice. I looked at all of the competitors and actually owned a '16 Tacoma Ltd 4x4 for 9 months. Frontier is just old tech. Colorado/Canyon Diesel is decent for a mid-size if you want to tow; however, I found it pretty slow to accelerate (the RL smacks the pack in 0-60...see C&D Review). You also have to monitor that diesel additive and make sure you always have some around. I was also disappointed in how much extra you have to pay for that diesel engine, too. GM twins get the dreaded black dot of reliability from Consumer Reports. Tacoma is, well, not quite ready for prime time, which is why I got rid of it...nuff said.

Minor negatives with the RL are a lack of high ground clearance (although two companies have lift kits in the works) and it looks not-so-trucky. Not concerned about either and I have been surprised at the number of complements I get on my 'E' model regarding the looks. I also love having the lockable trunk in the bed for my tools and have already used the bed outlet for tool battery charging. Handles a full load of full banker's boxes of paper stacked two high in the bed like they aren't even there, plus the added room for stuff with the fold up rear seats is great, too.

The AWD system is the same as the Acura MDX, and they rock in the ice and snow so even though I haven't seen the snow, yet, I'm comfortable with the system on the RL.

If you aren't rock crawling or towing heavy (which you don't mention), the RL is a fantastic choice...which, I might add, the wife will drive...she didn't like driving the Tacoma, and this from a woman who loved (and misses) her old FJ Cruiser...that should say it all!

Good luck in your choice.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
My wife currently drives a 2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon. We were (and are) planning on replacing it with a Tesla Model X in the next couple of years, but there are a few things that have led me to believe that a truck might fit into the mix at this point (that is, we would still get the Model X in the long run, but use the truck to replace the wagon, and then likely keep the truck even after getting Model X)

1. Since I have a Tesla Model S, I am starting to think we should keep at least 1 petrol/gasoline car in the household.
2. We keep going to places that are on dirt/gravel roads where the wagon doesn't fare very well. We also go on a few ski trips every year where 4wd/AWD would be helpful
3. A lot of our trips wind up involving one or a combination of kayaks, bicycles and skis. Roof rails (which we have) and a hitch receiver (which we don't have) would help a lot
4. I seem to keep finding myself putting tools and lumber in my Model S. I would like a Lowe's/Home Depot - home project vehicle. A plug in the back to keep power tool batteries charged up would also be great.
5. Since we are losing the wagon, the underbed trunk seems like a reasonable substitute. A bed cover would probably be in the mix as well.

I have considered the Colorado Diesel and the Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 as well, but am leaning toward the Ridgeline due to:
Crossover like driving manners / Pilot SUV based with independant rear suspension
Much better cabin room / space utilization
unique features (underbed trunk / two way liftgate)
Slightly better fuel efficiency

Since driving comfort and being able to maneuver/park in an urban/suburban environment are more important to me than towing/offroad/bed capacity and since the last 3 will be way better than the "low to the ground" wagon....well...

Unlike a lot of folks here, I am comparing what I am buying to what I currently have. I really don't care how Ridgeline compares to Tacoma/F-150/Ram yada yada.

So, while I know I have some reading to do here on the forums:

Any other considerations?

Anything that I might need to know?

Thanks!
You are exactly the type of person I have been talking about for years when redesign of G2 was being drawn up. Not everybody want's that conventional pickup truck flavor. The cross shopper want's something like SUV that many here dislike. I said back then wanted Next Gen Ridgeline to be more MDX like this would attract more buyers from other vehicles not just trucks. The RTL-E model seems like a wonderful choice for what you want and maybe coming from. As said if the G2 Ridgeline ground clearance would not be any problem for what you have in mind driving dirt and gravel roads. Watch all the Camp Ridgeline San Antonio videos if your not doing anymore dirt road stuff then this ground clearance should not be any problem. The rear doors is an issue for some they don't open so wide but so loading some cargo maybe a problem. I am not worried about this it still would work for me. Videos show it is still as capable in this area as G1 Ridgeline.

Reactions: Andrew Diamond

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Honda will be the most service free vehicle you own. They are hard to beat for reliability.
I am a bit biased, as I worked for Honda in Quality Control at Marysville, Ohio plants back in the 80's when they just started building Accords in America. I've owned several Honda's over the years, and I too am purchasing a
RTL-E right now. Good choice.
I still gravitate toward Honda over all other brands, but it's a shame the present day quality is nowhere near what it was back when you worked for Honda.

· Registered
33 Posts
I bought an RTL-T on Friday, all I can say is you won't be disappointed. I love mine, already ordered a bed extender, hitch bed extender that can go on horizontally or vertical to work with roof rack, all weather mats, bed cargo net, trunk cargo net, and Access Lorado tonneau cover. It should all be here by Thursday, can't wait! The G2 will handle any and everything I need with these attachments, I'm not sure why I was so concerned about the bed size and almost went with a Ram 1500, I don't regret it one bit.

Reactions: Andrew Diamond
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.