Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded my 2006 RTS with 204,000 miles for a 2011 RTL/Nav with 64,000 miles. I got it from a Chevy dealer, where it had been traded in, so they didn't have any service records. I've seen people comment about contacting a Honda service department with a VIN and asking for service records. My guess is that some would help and some wouldn't. But my question is whether ANY Honda dealer can access those records by way of the VIN, or whether you need to go to (or contact) the dealer that has actually done the service. If possible, I'd love to know when the transmission fluids and the like have last been changed. I figure it's at least worth a shot, but not sure where to start. Thanks in advance for your knowledge or advise.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Agree with all you said (and questioned).

IMO the best likelihood of getting best response is starting with a face-to-face drop-in at the service desk of your local / preferred Honda Dealer to 'give it a shot' and see what you learn.

IME the face-to-face approach rather than phone call helps give credence to your less-than-casual interest and incites more 'diligent' effort / response from the other side of the conversation. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
If you are asking the dealer to do some maintenance, they might be more willing to divulge what has been done or due. Find something that you need done such as brake fluid or power steering fluid change and get an estimate. Tell them you need a baseline to set a schedule for future maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Honda Ridgeline EX-L model from a Ford dealership close too home and while it had no service records with it I was offered a Carfax report, which was 5 pages long. It included everything service related, time,place,and dealership where it was done. Although it was provided free for me, you can buy the report by VIN number, from Carfax, and have that record that you seek.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I'd like to qualify the above.
When I was looking to purchase my current RL I found it was a Canadian truck. The dealer (who really was just a used car lot) did provide a Carfax. It didn't tell me much so I spent my hard earned $$ and bought my own Carfax for this truck. All it told me was that it was serviced at dealer X when new (no details) and that it was serviced at dealer Y (no details) just before being imported to the USA.
I guess if I want the complete history I'd have to call CN and try to sweet talk the dealers into giving me the details. Not much chance of that. :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
....I guess if I want the complete history I'd have to call CN and try to sweet talk the dealers into giving me the details. Not much chance of that. :(
Maybe consider coming up here for a vacation to get the complete history of your RL. The exchange rate is in your favour.
; ^ )

2d1c

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Maybe consider coming up here for a vacation to get the complete history of your RL. The exchange rate is in your favour.
; ^ )

2d1c
My wife is from Dallas, TX. Our vacations are pretty much South of here!

However I've always wanted to see Newfoundland.

You can see how this will end up!! :LOL:

·
Registered
848 Posts
...a Carfax. It didn't tell me much so I spent my hard earned $$ and bought my own Carfax for this truck. All it told me was that it was serviced at dealer X when new (no details) and that it was serviced at dealer Y (no details) just before being imported to the USA.
What you experienced is due to the fact that not all dealerships report to Carfax, and even those that do don’t necessarily provide any detail.

A Honda dealership should enter service info in Honda’s national system. That means another Honda dealer would be able to see it. This seems to be the same mechanism by which, if you have your Honda set up with the VIN in the Honda Owners website, dealer-performed maintenance will show up on that webpage. I can’t say how common it might be that an individual dealership would not enter info into that system.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A Honda dealership should enter service info in Honda’s national system. That means another Honda dealer would be able to see it. This seems to be the same mechanism by which, if you have your Honda set up with the VIN in the Honda Owners website, dealer-performed maintenance will show up on that webpage.
Isn't that a US only system?
IIRC @MaintMech got a Canadian vehicle.
Is there a Canadian equivalent to the Honda Owners site?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I see the owners section on Honda.ca.

To be clear: I’ve never seen previous owners’ service records show up on a manufacturer’s owner page when I buy a used car. I was using that as an example of the interconnection of the national system.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Yup, by using the Honda.cn website I was able to find out that this truck needed the airbag recall done.
Then, of course, there was the hassle of getting Honda.us to recognize that my truck was now living in MN. so my local dealer would do the recall.
Honda USA and Honda Canada don't talk to each other. Heck I got the impression they don't even LIKE each other. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts