Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I brought my 2013 Ridgeline in for an A1 service yesterday and was given a list of things that I should consider doing, the service it self was about $80, the additional items totaled about $1100.00. I asked for a copy of all recommended service items so I could look into it. I knew that most of them were ridiculous (like change the wiper blades for instance). But what really annoys me is that many of these items are part of the regular scheduled maintenances, which I have never missed one. Why do the dealers find it necessary to try to upsell you on service items that are part of a scheduled maintenance? Also, since I am not a mechanic, I am always a little unsure if I really should do the maintenance when there is nothing wrong with the car. Three times ago when I had my car serviced, they recommended a service item be completed, which I never did because it wasn't on a recommended maintenance list by Honda. The three times I've brought my Ridgeline back since then, no mention of what they recommended that time. Why if they think I should do this maintenance, do they not bring it up every single time I come in? How come every time there's a new list? How is a non-mechanical consumer supposed to know when they are blowing smoke and when you really should have the work done?

Obviously, I find this frustrating. For years, the service department used to put a sticker on my car that I needed to get the oil changed in 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever was sooner, that despite the fact that Honda recommends 7,500 miles between oil changes. I always did it on Honda's recommended schedule and have had excellent life out of my Honda cars, trucks and vans.

This is what the suggested (for reference, I have a 2013 Honda Ridgeline with 81,000 miles on it).

Replace front brake pads 260.00 (which we had done recently), I asked them for the readings which they did not provide.
Replace wiper blades, 33.00 (which work just fine)
R04 Value Plus fuel service (whatever that is)- 136.00
Air filter replacement- 50.00
PVC Valve- 75.00 (which he told me was a PCV valve flush to clean out the built up residue in the system, but costs as much as a replacement, so I have no idea what the purpose of this is)
Service Transfer Case + fluid, 70.00 (which I believe is part of one of the maintenance items on the regularly scheduled lists)
Rear Differential service, 105.00 (which I also believe is part of the every 30,000 mile service)
R17 Value plus coolant service, 149.00 (because, you know how corrosive the coolant is, the system needs to be flushed I was told)
R49 Brake Fluid Service, 120.00- (This one I have read should be done every three to 10 years, depends who you ask, but wouldn't this be part of a major brake job that you already need to have done?)
Power steering service, 116.00 (Apparently, the power steering system is also subject to corrosion)
Air Conditioning filter- 69.00

Curious what you guys think of this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Should be illegal

Taking advantage of uneducated consumers is all it is... same on the sales floor. Same in the parts dept.

It's disgusting

Reactions: Michael Durkin

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
Well Michael,

FWIW, if you don't mind for future reference update your profile, with YMM, so others don't have to refer to the post and "dig out" that you own a G1, 2013, additionally some form of where you live such as "Left Coast, Big Apple, Dirty South, Mid Atlantic" or ATL, NYC, MVD, OC, if your not comfortable giving up your actual City for reference.

I'll start with the preface of, we don't call 'em "STEALERSHIP's" without reason, on the other hand, overall those are not the worst prices I've ever seen, I can say for a fact my local CA, "STEALERSHIP" would double or more than double almost all those services, except maybe the wipers, I was in during our "exceptionally wet winter" and my dealer had $39.99 "Genuine Honda Wiper blade special" (Up to 3) installed, so although most were getting "ripped off" a few were getting some value, although I still Remember "parts specials" of $4.95 per genuine Honda wiper blade, my wife's 2015 Fit, IIRC, the 3 wipers were like $7, $9 & $10, online, although if drove to a dealer about an hr away I could get them for $6.95 each.

I can go thru the entire list & also provide parts break down (price wise with some current pricing) and even rank in either priority or difficulty your entire list if you would like. But quickly, any basic Brake job is not going to include a brake fluid change, they are either separate or an add-on, so unless you recently requested it as apart of your recent brake service, highly doubt it was done. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and honestly depending on environment (because the system is not sealed) I've seen reference to 2-5 yrs, with Honda owners manuals recommending 3 yrs , since about 2005. I've had brake calipers "freeze" and rust & internal corrosion were the problem.

Transfer Case & VTM fluid changes are recommended at 30k, after initial service at 30k & 15k service, initially and only exist on the Pilot & Ridgeline, since they are the only Honda's with "full time" AWD, I'm certain their cost isn't included in 30k service intervals, as I can only imagine a Civic or Accord owner paying for those. I believe the simplicity of both keeps the cost/profit near the same and and the service should fall about 15k apart

Reactions: Michael Durkin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have my profile fixed. I was going to get to that, but wanted to get that post out before I lost my thoughts.

I guess I am really unsure of what actually needs to be done. I know that the air cleaner is replaced every 30,000 miles, the engine coolant is done at 45, 75 and 105 (which means it was just done when I had that service a month or so ago), according to my maintenance schedule they do the break fluid at 45, 75 and 105 as well. In my owners manual, it also lists the rear differential and transfer case as routine maintenance. I looked through my service records and see that I had all that done at the scheduled maintenance in January. Also, I noticed that when I asked them for the brake pad readings, they left that off the official list of recommended items, but it's on the list that they discussed with me and I asked for a copy of before they put it into my official record. I find that interesting, all of the sudden it is not on there. I know why though because we had the brakes serviced not too long ago.

So from that whole list, my take away is that maybe I should have the brake fluid changed, since they probably didn't do that.

Thank you for your reply! Really do appreciate the input and I love the 'Stealership' name, I might have to start using that one. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
This is my first Honda vehicle and I am sooooo looking forth to going to the dealer for the service ! Can't wait to see what kind of service they offer. My experience with dealer service has been limited as I never buy new cars (this is only my 3rd new car in my lifetime of 57 years the other two being a 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo RS ... loved that car , and a 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 loved that early 2 door SUV ! ) And neither of them did I ever return to the dealer for routine service as I did the oil changes myself. So, if they "offer" me all these extras I can't wait to question them on it !!!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my first Honda vehicle and I am sooooo looking forth to going to the dealer for the service ! Can't wait to see what kind of service they offer. My experience with dealer service has been limited as I never buy new cars (this is only my 3rd new car in my lifetime of 57 years the other two being a 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo RS ... loved that car , and a 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 loved that early 2 door SUV ! ) And neither of them did I ever return to the dealer for routine service as I did the oil changes myself. So, if they "offer" me all these extras I can't wait to question them on it !!!!!!!

Steve
I didn't feel like arguing with them, besides, I didn't have all my facts. I would suggest taking the maintenance book with you so you know what they are trying to charge you for. I have always done the recommended maintenance (The Honda recommended maintenance, not the service department recommended maintenance), which covers most things. In the past I have questioned them why they recommend something that Honda doesn't have as a scheduled item. They never gave me a real answer other than they just do. The same with the oil changes. The one dealer said that even though 7500 miles is OK, 3,000 is better. But, my cars lasted longer than I wanted them too (I mean, not really, but I wanted new cars before they wore out), so I don't see the point. I've never been stranded on the side of a road by a Honda, and most of them I have driven for over 200,000 miles, (other than the one that got totaled in an accident, but that wasn't the Honda's fault), they are great quality vehicles if you treat them well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have all your services done at this dealership?
I have not had every service done here, but for the past three or four years (which is pretty much the life of the car) yes. We had one done elsewhere over the winter when we were out of town. And we had the first one or two done in NY, where we bought the Ridgeline before we moved here (SC).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have not had every service done here, but for the past three or four years (which is pretty much the life of the car) yes. We had one done elsewhere over the winter when we were out of town. And we had the first one or two done in NY, where we bought the Ridgeline before we moved here (SC).
Well sounds to me they are a old school dealer(especially with the 3k oil change remark) and might not have looked up the service history on your car before recommending some things.
But if you really have proof all the services were performed..then take that proof to the service manager and show them. Nicely, mainly to show him that his employees are not doing there job correctly. Hey, might even get a free oil change out of it.

R04 Value Plus fuel service (whatever that is)- 136.00 <-- this is a fuel induction service. Good to have this done every 60 k in my opinion to keep things from building up in the intake runners and throttle body,valves etc. Especially how ****ty gas is nowadays.

R17 Value plus coolant service, 149.00 <------ It does break down, but do that when you do the timing belt. Im sure you have more "weather" then I do here in california but still.

R49 Brake Fluid Service, 120.00-
Power steering service, 116.00, <-----Both of these can be done by a small mom and pop shop if need to save a few bucks but I think you have more "HUMIDITY" in your area so you are much more subject to moisture intrusion to both of these systems which can do damage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Service upsells are S.O.P. at most dealerships and large chain auto repair facilities.That is the business model which is pretty much standard everywhere- pressure on the mechanics to upsell and work fast -reward the ones who do and get rid of or minimalize those more ethical who do not push extra unneeded services.Of course these policies are unwritten but anyone who has ever worked as a mechanic knows that this is generally how things are run.The more naive you seem-the more upselling you will receive.This is why dealerships are the worst places to go for service unless you need warranty work and therefore have no choice.You can of course decline all the extra stuff they will pitch you.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,207 Posts
The OP's point was that these items were "recommended" BEFORE the service advisor bothered looking at the vehicle's service history. That is, Michael must not have looked at his energetic, Ridgeline-owning best on that particular occasion, and therefore susceptible to an offer of $1,100 in services his truck might not have needed.

I've generally had good experiences taking my Ridgeline to the dealership where I bought it in 2010. Except on one occasion late in 2015, when the service manager started the discussion not with "good morning," but "So you want a coolant change this morning? Steering fluid?" He did this completely to throw me off balance from my goal of getting B1 scheduled maintenance done. He had not looked up the truck's service record. Even if any of those things had struck me as a good idea, on principal I would have refused them all after having them "suggested" that way. It was very much not the reasonable intake experience I'd had at that dealer on other occasions.

Oh, and he's not working there any more. I guess they needed him on the used car lot.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 11 of 11 Posts