Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

first post, wasn’t sure if I should register or just haunt the forum. I have tried to search the forum but am not really sure what terms to use or what I really need.

my father in law has a 2007 Ridgeline. He says it was never setup to tow anything. He doesn’t even know the towing capacity but he thinks it will work with his rpod. He has a smaller rpod when filled with water and gear is about 4300lbs.
He says he wants me to set it up to tow, he believes I’ll have to run wires all over the and hook up a brake controller. Other people at work told me I just need a plug near the license plate. I can’t seem to find any info on how to set up a Ridgeline to have the ability to tow.

any information is greatly appreciated , thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,146 Posts
Hello all,

first post, wasn’t sure if I should register or just haunt the forum. I have tried to search the forum but am not really sure what terms to use or what I really need.

my father in law has a 2007 Ridgeline. He says it was never setup to tow anything. He doesn’t even know the towing capacity but he thinks it will work with his rpod. He has a smaller rpod when filled with water and gear is about 4300lbs.
He says he wants me to set it up to tow, he believes I’ll have to run wires all over the and hook up a brake controller. Other people at work told me I just need a plug near the license plate. I can’t seem to find any info on how to set up a Ridgeline to have the ability to tow.

What trim line is the 2007 Ridgeline? IIRC, you'll need the Honda wiring harness and of course the receiver hitch itself. Do NOT use a 3rd party tap in wiring harness. The Honda wiring harness is designed to separate the truck electrics from the trailer electrics such that a failure of one doesn't affect the other.

You'll need the correct p/n harness for your truck.
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

I used the Honda harness with a Curt hitch.

Here's a thread I did on my installation:

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,728 Posts
According to the 2007 Honda Ridgeline Owners Manual the towing capacity is up to 5000 lbs. Tonge weight is also discussed in the Owners Manual…..facts vs opinions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello all,

A few thoughts reference towing.

About 4300 lbs to me is a red flag. Guessing on the loaded weight can be a recipe for problems. Find a way to know exactly what the weight comes in at when loaded. I have found over the years that most people tend to underestimate the total weight of what they are towing. Load the trailer and get it to a set of scales so you know for sure what you are dealing with.

If it comes in at around 4300 lbs, you are hovering around the generally recommended weight you should tow, which is generally 85% of the max tow weight of the vehicle. 85% comes in at 4250 lbs for the 5k tow weigh of the Ridgeline.

Towing puts a strain on a vehicle, especially on the transmission. Make sure that the tranny in that 15 year old vehicle is up to the task and be prepared to service the vehicle twice often as it probably is now.

Unless you have an RTX, I suspect that you will need a tow package, (receiver, and electrical connector). (I think the RTX was the only model that came with a factory installed hitch) Install a Class III, either OEM or aftermarket. I would suggest you install a 7 pin trailer connector. Converters of take a 7 pin down to a 5 pin or 4 pin are readily available if needed. The connector is generally installed next to the receiver.

This video from Honda should give you a good idea of what and how to install the tow package.

As for a brake controller, if I was setting up a vehicle to tow again I would go with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. More expensive than some other models, but the Tow Pro Elite makes for a nice clean install.
Curt makes a similar model, but the exposed portion is larger and at least to my eyes unsightly compared to the Redarc.

There are other, cheaper under dash controllers as well as some Bluetooth connected models. My choice for years was a Curt under dash controller, but at the time I set up my last towing vehicle models like the Tow Pro Elite weren't around.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
167 Posts
A few thoughts reference towing.

About 4300 lbs to me is a red flag. Guessing on the loaded weight can be a recipe for problems. Find a way to know exactly what the weight comes in at when loaded. I have found over the years that most people tend to underestimate the total weight of what they are towing. Load the trailer and get it to a set of scales so you know for sure what you are dealing with.

If it comes in at around 4300 lbs, you are hovering around the generally recommended weight you should tow, which is generally 85% of the max tow weight of the vehicle. 85% comes in at 4250 lbs for the 5k tow weigh of the Ridgeline.

Towing puts a strain on a vehicle, especially on the transmission. Make sure that the tranny in that 15 year old vehicle is up to the task and be prepared to service the vehicle twice often as it probably is now.

Unless you have an RTX, I suspect that you will need a tow package, (receiver, and electrical connector). (I think the RTX was the only model that came with a factory installed hitch) Install a Class III, either OEM or aftermarket. I would suggest you install a 7 pin trailer connector. Converters of take a 7 pin down to a 5 pin or 4 pin are readily available if needed. The connector is generally installed next to the receiver.

This video from Honda should give you a good idea of what and how to install the tow package.

As for a brake controller, if I was setting up a vehicle to tow again I would go with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. More expensive than some other models, but the Tow Pro Elite makes for a nice clean install.
Curt makes a similar model, but the exposed portion is larger and at least to my eyes unsightly compared to the Redarc.

There are other, cheaper under dash controllers as well as some Bluetooth connected models. My choice for years was a Curt under dash controller, but at the time I set up my last towing vehicle models like the Tow Pro Elite weren't around.
Regarding this “generally recommended weight you should tow, which is generally 85% of the max tow weight of the vehicle”, where did this come from and what is the scientific basis for limiting your towed weight to 85% or the rating? I have 4 trailers and 4 vehicles with hitches. I watch GVWR, GCVWR, and tow up to the vehicle‘s tow rating if all the numbers permit. That’s what the rating means, the maximum that vehicle should safely tow. Who decided to knock off 15% and limit towing to 85%, and why?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Regarding this “generally recommended weight you should tow, which is generally 85% of the max tow weight of the vehicle”, where did this come from and what is the scientific basis for limiting your towed weight to 85% or the rating? I have 4 trailers and 4 vehicles with hitches. I watch GVWR, GCVWR, and tow up to the vehicle‘s tow rating if all the numbers permit. That’s what the rating means, the maximum that vehicle should safely tow. Who decided to knock off 15% and limit towing to 85%, and why?
Tow as you like, it's your vehicle, and it's your money so if you want to put the maximum recommended stress on your vehicle then do so. If you want to actually know where it came from do some research.

My tow vehicle is a diesel dually 1 ton with a 32K lb tow capacity. I don't have to worry about the vehicle towing either an RV or a fully loaded 4 horse bunkhouse trailer. In the 21 years I have towed with that vehicle all I have ever had to do is regular maintenance, and fuel.

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
The g1 Ridgeline can reliably tow up to the 5000 lb tow limit. But it's best to keep up with maintenance. @McChizzle is one of the experienced users here who tows with a G1. Would be a good reference for you.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,728 Posts
I would think the 5000 lb max tow rating has a built-in (by Honda) safety/liability factor. In other words the max rating (5K lbs) can safely be achieved as long as the Honda towing guidelines, shown in the 2007 Ridgeline Owners Manual, are followed. Saying 85% of 5000 lb is a max safe limit is simply SWAG engineering. Monitoring TFT goes a long way in determining what’s going on when towing.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,531 Posts
The g1 Ridgeline can reliably tow up to the 5000 lb tow limit. But it's best to keep up with maintenance. @McChizzle is one of the experienced users here who tows with a G1. Would be a good reference for you.
Review these posts that I created after pushing my Gen1 to its limits multiple times and learned where those limits lie; I hope they help:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would think the 5000 lb max tow rating has a built-in (by Honda) safety/liability factor. In other words the max rating (5K lbs) can safely be achieved as long as the Honda towing guidelines, shown in the 2007 Ridgeline Owners Manual, are followed. Saying 85% of 5000 lb is a max safe limit is simply SWAG engineering. Monitoring TFT goes a long way in determining what’s going on when towing.
Why, what makes that thinking any less SWAG thinking?

A Ridgeline can pull a hell of a lot more than 5000k. It's not about what it can pull. It's about how much strain you are willing to put on the vehicle while using it to pull.

We pull 20K lb Lear Jets with a 22 hp lawn tractor that has an 800 lb tow weight. BUT we are only pulling those planes a few dozen yards at around 3 mph in granny gear. The lawn tractor does just fine pulling those planes from the hangers because we are not putting that much stress on them for any length of time.

How many towers actually drive the recommended 55 mph max?
How many drivers and passengers in the vehicle weigh 150 lbs max?
How many vehicles end up loaded with 15 lbs max gear per person?
How many towers take into account that when Honda says 15 lbs of gear per person in their to weight chart that also includes the things that they put in the vehicle and leave there all of the time? Things like a tool kit, a gallon of coolant or other fluids, a different additional jack, a full size tire as recommended by Honda, etc are all additional weight put into the tow vehicle that has to be accounted for when following Honda's guidelines.
How many towers actually go to a scale and pay to get exact weights on the loaded vehicle with all persons as well as the trailer they are going to pull.

Like I said before, it's your vehicle, and your money. Use it to tow anyway you want to.

Granted I have only been hauling stuff around for 50+ years, everything from small utility trailers to RV's, to combines on trailers and large stock trailers. In those 50 years I never had to rebuild/replace an engine, rebuild/replace a transmission or had any other unexpected issues with my tow vehicles. Just typical fluids, tires, batteries, hoses, shocks and other consumable items. I just have had to replace them more often than if I wasn't towing.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
167 Posts
Tow as you like, it's your vehicle, and it's your money so if you want to put the maximum recommended stress on your vehicle then do so. If you want to actually know where it came from do some research.

My tow vehicle is a diesel dually 1 ton with a 32K lb tow capacity. I don't have to worry about the vehicle towing either an RV or a fully loaded 4 horse bunkhouse trailer. In the 21 years I have towed with that vehicle all I have ever had to do is regular maintenance, and fuel.
I asked where the 85% you posted came from, and you tell me to do some research. Great answer. From that, I gather you don’t actually know.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,728 Posts
Why, what makes that thinking any less SWAG thinking?

A Ridgeline can pull a hell of a lot more than 5000k. It's not about what it can pull. It's about how much strain you are willing to put on the vehicle while using it to pull.

We pull 20K lb Lear Jets with a 22 hp lawn tractor that has an 800 lb tow weight. BUT we are only pulling those planes a few dozen yards at around 3 mph in granny gear. The lawn tractor does just fine pulling those planes from the hangers because we are not putting that much stress on them for any length of time.

How many towers actually drive the recommended 55 mph max?
How many drivers and passengers in the vehicle weigh 150 lbs max?
How many vehicles end up loaded with 15 lbs max gear per person?
How many towers take into account that when Honda says 15 lbs of gear per person in their to weight chart that also includes the things that they put in the vehicle and leave there all of the time? Things like a tool kit, a gallon of coolant or other fluids, a different additional jack, a full size tire as recommended by Honda, etc are all additional weight put into the tow vehicle that has to be accounted for when following Honda's guidelines.
How many towers actually go to a scale and pay to get exact weights on the loaded vehicle with all persons as well as the trailer they are going to pull.

Like I said before, it's your vehicle, and your money. Use it to tow anyway you want to.

Granted I have only been hauling stuff around for 50+ years, everything from small utility trailers to RV's, to combines on trailers and large stock trailers. In those 50 years I never had to rebuild/replace an engine, rebuild/replace a transmission or had any other unexpected issues with my tow vehicles. Just typical fluids, tires, batteries, hoses, shocks and other consumable items. I just have had to replace them more often than if I wasn't towing.
I think you are making my point. Posting towing numbers/scenarios other than those stated in the Owners Manual is SWAG. Most everyone understands the difference between towing and pulling.

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,728 Posts
Google 2008 Honda Ridgeline Owners Manual to see if that changes anything.

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
thanks to everyone who has replied! Turns out his Ridgeline is the 2008 base model, does that change anything?
I’ve got some reading thanks to you guys ! Cheers
No. Except the base model probably is lighter than the RTL and will have a higher payload. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) will be the same regardless.

Font Document Number

I think part of the reason the Ridgeline is restricted to 5000 lbs has to do with the ability to stop the truck while towing. (braking capabilities). Towing a total trailer weight more than 1000 lbs requires the trailer to have its own brakes too.

Font Paper product Paper Document Terrestrial plant

Towing more than 3500 lbs, Honda recommends premium fuel too.

Font Rectangle Circle Writing Paper

Also, towing should be done in normal D, not D3.

Font Circle Paper Paper product Number

Reactions: jesterxfan

·
Registered
1 Posts
This seems to be a nice heated topic. I have a feeling that Honda has been quite conservative with their ratings as they, as well as other manufacturers, are very aware that our society seem to sue at any opportunity. I'm sure that they have CYA in mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts