Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Several issues

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
Hello all,
After working on several other cars, I decided to go through all troubles with my truck and get it back to good shape. The Ridgeline is 2006 with about 230k miles. I change oil regularly and believe the transmission fluid was changed when the truck had about 190k. I don't know how well it was changed, but it was done at some random oil change place.

So I have several issues.
1. When truck is parked and idle for extended period of time it overheats. Only thing that helps is to start driving. The truck has aftermarket radiator fans. Initially they were blowing air out instead of in, so I changed out wiring so that they at least blow air in correct direction. Do you think that they are weak and not blowing hard enough? (thats what she said).

2. My AC works great, but my heater is not working. When I turn the heater on, it just blows regular air.

3. I got two check engine lights - P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2
P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance Struck Off
It appears second one is more important and somehow related to transmission. The transmission fluid level is normal, but smell is burnt. If I am not mistaken, all Honda transmission fluid have burnt smell.

4. I noticed that while driving, I can smell anti-freeze coolant in the interior. The levels are still fine and the smell existed for several months already.

So please guide me in the right direction and let me know what I should check. Thank you all

See less See more
#2 ·
1. I would say rather than hacking up the OEM wiring, swap it to a proper replacement fan. This ensures that proper airflow across the condenser and radiator is maintained. Considering the price, I wonder why the previous owner put an incorrect fan (assuming this). Also, if your radiator has not been changed out, might do it now, also replace the thermostat while you are at it.

2. If the heat is not working, first thing to check is if the mixture control is doing its tricks while you change the dial from hot to cold. You can also change out the panel that contains the temp dail to a different one and see if its that. If not, then move onto the mixture control.

3. The catalyst system efficiency could be your O2 sensors? Replace them and reset the codes prior to starting the engine.
As far the second check engine light, have you changed the fluid? If you have, did you do the 3x Drain and Fill (DNF). Start with that and move onto isolating it. If the transmission shifts fine, reset the code and see if it reappears.

4. The smell could be from a loose overflow canister cap, or radiator cap. Change the radiator cap (if you have not) and ensure that the overflow hose and canister do not have any leaks. Also, ensure you are not leaking any coolant on the interior. If you have any leaks from the unit behind the dash, the smell will be there. Do you have the smell if you put the air on Re-circulation?

#3 ·
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I changed engine and transmission fluids couple days ago. Engine oil looked fine, transmission fluid appeared to be burnt and pretty dark. I was able to drain only 2-3 quarts of it though. My plan is to take it for an hour trip or so and then do another drain and fill.

I replaced my AC control thing about year ago because the one i had in the truck had issues with changing temperature. I really don't remember if I had heater back then or not. Can you expand on how I can check if mixture control is working? I checked my heater and radiator fan fuses and they appeared to be good.

I checked my radiator fans again and now it appears that only condenser fan is working. The other one is always off. I waited for the truck to get warm and when it got close to the middle of gauge, the condenser fan turned on, but the other fan did not. So I am planning on replacing that one in the near future.

Speaking of radiator fluid, the radiator is still full, but the reservoir does appear to be almost empty. I did not detect antifreeze smell or leakage on the radiator and reservoir cap. You mentioned that there is a unit behind the dash that could be leaking antifreeze, which unit is that? is it under CD player?

Thanks for your help. By the way, after I changed the fluids and check the system, the O2 sensor code did not show up. The transmission one showed up and I cleared it. I'll have to drive it for an hour on highway and will let you know if it comes back up.

#4 ·
I'd try 2-3 more drain n fills of the transmission. Drive it around in between changes. For the heater, when the engine is warm, grab the heater hoses and make sure they're hot. Maybe the heater valve isn't opening letting coolant flow through...maybe the heater core is plugged and needs to be back-flushed.

#5 ·
Before you do anything, check for any HVAC DTCs

Just to clarify, the radiator fan is the one on the transmission side (right side). The condenser fan is on the crank pulley side (left side). The one fan, on regular basis, that should come on is the fan on the right side. If you bend down and look at the heater core from the driver side, you should be able to see an electrical clip plugged in, that is the connection for the mixture control unit. Not sure if the 2006-2008 had a temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator, but if you do, then troubleshooting it wont be too bad.

Below is the troubleshooting procedure for the moisture control unit. It is part of the heater core behind the dash and visible from either the passenger side or driver side. If you need to troubleshoot in detail, then a 2006-2008 Shop manual is needed and the section you are looking for is Heating, ventilation and air conditioning section.
The heater core, as we loosely call it, has a small radiator within itself with an inlet and outlet for coolant. The inlet is adjusted by a valve that responds to user input via the temperature control dial inside the cabin.

Text Line Font Diagram Parallel
Text Font Line

If the coolant in your overflow canister is getting low every time you refill it, then the engine is burning it up, or you have a leak somewhere.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help. Today I replaced the driver's side radiator fan. Before replacing i noticed that that side radiator fan completely died, so it was a no brainer to replace it. When I installed the replacement, I realigned two wires to the fan OEM way and air flow direction is correct.

I'll try to do another transmission fluid flush today, but its been raining all day. And probably will start on HVAC troubleshooting today too if possible. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

#9 ·
For the record, a Honda transmission fluid flush is 4x drain and fill. Not 3x.

Steps 2-6 are the first 3 D&F. Steps 9-10 are the 4th drain and fill.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I've done it twice so far, but will do it couple more times later.

I rearranged the hoses and so far no leaks, but also no heat. I'll check the system again later to see if something changes, but it is weird that someone decided to cut off anti-freeze to the heater.

#11 ·
FYI, here's a chart I generated to show the changeover fluid ratios based on 3.5 qts drained and filled.

Text Font Number Parallel Pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.