Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through all of these threads for about an hour now and haven't found what I am looking for.
First of all, I really don't like the audio system thats in the ridgeline now, so I'm looking to upgrade.
What are the speaker sizes in the doors and how do I get to them?
Is it true that the sub is 8" and is behind the back seat? And if its true can it be replaced with anything bigger?
What is under the dash on the passenger side? I thought that was the sub, I must be mistaken.
Should I replace the head unit? I hate to do it with the six disc changer, but if I need more power, I will.
I've tried looking around for options to put sub's under the back seat, but I don't think its going to happen, the bass cylinders won't even fit under it.
I have a box and subs from my previous car, its two 12" MTV Thunder 8000 and a JBL 600 W/Amp. If anybody has any ideas about how I can use these, please let me know, cause I'd hate for them to go to waste.
If anybody would like to see my ridgeline after I get the decals on it, let me know. :cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Door speakers and upgrade the subwoofer posts in this section
should answer some of your questions.
Seems only a few have ripped out the interior to check the speakers.
Nobody as far as I know has replaced the head unit yet.
Sub looks like it's behind the rear passenger side seat.
Speakers are an odd 6.5 size I believe.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you'll find helpful info under The following threads:
"Door speakers, ughhh door speakers!"
"Upgrade the subwoofer?"
"Speaker sizes"
"Audio System upgrades."

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Like a JL Microsub.

·
Registered
146 Posts
t_brush said:
I have a box and subs from my previous car, its two 12" MTV Thunder 8000 and a JBL 600 W/Amp. If anybody has any ideas about how I can use these, please let me know, cause I'd hate for them to go to waste.
If anybody would like to see my ridgeline after I get the decals on it, let me know. :cool:
I suspect you will find the stock subwoofer a bit lacking as compared to what you used to have.

I can help you design a new enclosure for the subs. If you have (or can find) the Thiele/Small (or T/S) parameters for the 12" drivers, I can run them through a modeling program I wrote 15 years ago :eek: (called "Perfect Box")

12" drivers typically need a more than 2 cubic feet of enclosure volume to obtain a maximally flat response curve. That is a tough challenge under most seats. The Isobaric idea is a good one, as you can obtain the same low-end cutoff frequency with an enclosure that is one-half the enclosure volume of a single driver alone.

My program supports single or dual driver combinations in side-by-side or isobaric layouts. I can also do a single-reflex passband design, however you likely don't have enough space under the seat to do that one justice.

I can't wait to do a similar design for my new Ridge-- "born on date" was June 13, eta at the dealership in three days whoo-hoo!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would welcome the chance to put three 8" subs behind the rear seat if it was possible, that just means I'd have to sell off what I got now, but thats not a big deal. Right now I'm just looking for options. . . . .and a job, but thats an entirely different problem :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
t_brush said:
I can't find that information you wanted but I might not be seeing it on the paper. The website that has all the tech info on the subs is:
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pr...subs/T8124A.pdf

I would welcome the chance to put three 8" subs behind the rear seat if it was possible, that just means I'd have to sell off what I got now, but thats not a big deal. Right now I'm just looking for options. . . . .and a job, but thats an entirely different problem :D
That PDF you referenced has exactly the data that I needed. Your drivers are best suited for a sealed enclosure as opposed to a vented (ported) one. That makes it somewhat simpler. A single one does best in a 1.86 cubic foot box. However, this driver seems to be less effected by cramming it in a smaller box than most. You could get away with as little as .75 cubic feet without too much loss in low end response. Two of these in a "clam shell" Isobaric (mount the drivers face to face, one wired out of phase) can do pretty well in a .5 cubic foot box -- reaching down to 43 Hertz at the -3dB point.

Problem is they are BIG! The spec sheet indicates that the mounting depth is 5 5/8 inches. That doesn't leave much room for box thickness. I don't know how much room is available between the back seat and the midwall.

Heck, I would make a 1 cubic foot box, mount them face to face in Isobaric configuration, and put that in the bed trunk. I bet you could still hear them, and for sure, you would feel them :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about putting them in the trunk, but I got a few opinions (from circuit city and best buy, and yes I know, I don't trust their opinion either) and they said that I probably would not be able to hear the subs too well, although everybody else would. So, I dunno what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
CC and BB are probably correct on that one, remember the Ridge was designed to keep noise (sound) out. Some would leak thorugh, but not nearly as much as you'd be sharing with your neighbors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts