Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the JL Audio 10TW3-D4 will work in the enclosure that Elemental Designs used to sell for behind-the-seat use? Crutchfield shows a top mount depth of 3.25".

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Maybe this info will help from another recent thread
very hard to make the volume and having the restriction to most shallow sub's having over 3" mounting depth.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104009&page=3

I was just nosing around the Parts Express and wondered if anyone had any opinions or thoughts on this? I've heard good things about Dayton in terms of SQ. This looks like it might fit the bill for price and size requirements. I might post this over at DIYMA to see if they have any dealings.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251
Good value, if you make a 12" tall box, 23" long, 4" Top depth, 5.25" bottom depth with 3/4" MDF it will make the volume needed close 0.41 an simply add polyfill to make the extra. You would need to mount it close to the bottom of the box to make the 3.25" depth for the sub and not hit the upper area of the box. 4 minus 1.5 equals 2.5 depth inside the box, the sub has a 10.75" OD leaving about 1" of space in the upper area and hoping it will not hit the rear of the box. It may work. If you make the box with 1/2" thick MDF then you can have a 5" by 4" by 23" by 12" and have under 0.47 cf of volume. The sub asks for 0.43 cf but It may work better with the extra volume.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Laserguy. I think I'll go for it. I'll work out the final dimensions after I pull the seat so I can see how big a box I can fit back there.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Sure :)

Yellowhouse in a recent thread install, made a 12" tall by 23" long box. That helps with extra volume. He used 1/2" MDF to fit a pioneer sub.

Let us know if you can fit a 24" long box or taller than 12".
Or post your final dimensions if possible.
Many guys make boxes and don't post dimensions or loose their notes, and that does not help the ones trying to fit a bigger box to make up for more internal volume.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a local shop build a box and install a shallow JL 10" sub. I forget to get them to measure it, but you can get a pretty good sense of the dimensions from the picture. I may take out the back seat to do some tuning, so I'll measure the box then and post the specs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would like to build a box and put a sub behind the seat rather than under the rear seat. However I don't want to take the seats out just to see what measurements I would need to make it. For Pete's sake, if someone takes the seats out and makes a box, post exact measurements so that it can be recreated by the lazy ones.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I would like to build a box and put a sub behind the seat rather than under the rear seat. However I don't want to take the seats out just to see what measurements I would need to make it. For Pete's sake, if someone takes the seats out and makes a box, post exact measurements so that it can be recreated by the lazy ones.
You have to read.

That information was already posted not only here but also in other very recent threads.

Every box will be different depending on the volume needed for the sub. The subs that can fit, are probably less than the fingers we can count in one hand.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I don't know if you noticed or not, so I'm going to mention: If you didn't notice, the picture above is upside down. That speaker box is in the recess behind the rear seats, not underneath them. :)
If you already saw that, then "nevermind"..........

Moving on from there.... EVERYTHING you want to know can be found in this thread and the one(s) that are referenced in it. You might consider posting to it as well once you've done your own deal & want to share in a common location:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104321&highlight=OEM+replacement+subwoofer

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Use 3/4" MDF and make a box that is 23" wide, 12" tall, 4" deep at the top and 5" deep at the bottom - all outside dimensions. I would suggest doubling up the front panels to recess the sub into the enclosure. Doing this will protect the sub from hitting the back of the seat when it's moving a lot. You'll need to find a sub that will fit that specific mounting depth. To gain access to the stock sub area, all you have to do is take out the rear seatback. You do NOT have to take out the entire seat.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Use 3/4" MDF and make a box that is 23" wide, 12" tall, 4" deep at the top and 5" deep at the bottom - all outside dimensions. I would suggest doubling up the front panels to recess the sub into the enclosure. Doing this will protect the sub from hitting the back of the seat when it's moving a lot. You'll need to find a sub that will fit that specific mounting depth. To gain access to the stock sub area, all you have to do is take out the rear seatback. You do NOT have to take out the entire seat.
... or this.... pretty much the same as above.... simulates original box; has side by side compare pics & dims (posts 1, 2, 8 & 9 of this thread):
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13308

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
5.5 bottom diameter will ensure the box not to move, without having to attach it , glue it or bolt it to the rear wall.
Doubling the front panel as Ian suggested is a very good thing, if doing that, I would make the box 5.25" or 5.4" at the bottom to make up for the internal volume lost by doubling the panels. 0.4-0.48 internal CF volume is a good target for most subs to perform well, although maybe a couple of subs will perform well with under 0.4 CF of volume.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts