Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird chain of events happen Friday (and the week leading up to Friday too) on my 2017 RTL-E with 35, 125 miles on it.

In the past week my dash flashed warnings for a split second 3 to 4 times. Friday afternoon my transmission developed a shudder on the 2nd to 3rd shift which I was going to tell my service adviser about when I took it in for service this week.

Friday night I was going about 4 miles to help a friend (who drives a 2018 RTL-E) set up his new metal detector and all of the sudden the 2nd to 3rd shift turned into a slam into gear and it wouldn't go past 3rd gear (~4,000 rpm at 55). It did this every time I slowed to a stop, bu no lights though. I knew it was going to the dealer in the morning.

When I left his house it did it again, but all the lights came on for my short trip home (transmission trouble, emissions trouble, blind spot monitoring trouble). I limped it home.

Saturday morning I cranked it up with the check engine still on, but the transmission worked just as it should and shifted normally. The dealer was too busy to check it Saturday, so they will look at it today.

My adviser and I are thinking it is computer based (and possibly connection based based on talking to all my tech support teammates at work who are compressor background, aviation mechanic background, and diesel mechanic background).

Has anyone on the forum seen this particular issue before?

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
There have been some reports of pressure switches causing harsh shifts and/or warning lights - this seems to be the most common problem with the G2 Ridgeline's transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the call from the dealer. The transmission threw a death code and I am getting a brand new transmission from Honda.

They got it to duplicate once it got hot.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,478 Posts
Regardless, they are making good on it and you'll be back on the road hopefully trouble free. Have you done any heavy towing with it? Just curious.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess it's a good reminder to those of us who like to buy used and then tell the finance guy, hell no I don't wanta buy a warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regardless, they are making good on it and you'll be back on the road hopefully trouble free. Have you done any heavy towing with it? Just curious.
Not really. I have towed a 5x8 Uhaul trailer to Charleston and back (180 miles each way, running 70-75), but otherwise, it just pulls my 5x10 aluminum utility trailer that weighs ~350 pounds.

I usually baby it.

The transmission is supposed to be at the dealer tomorrow and I hope to have it back Thursday.

This is giving me a chance to exercise my daughters Camry that has been sitting in the driveway since she left for Spain in September. I had forgotten how well it drives.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just to add to this thread...the 2nd to 3rd gear pressure switch is a common failure point. It seems both this 6 speed and the previous 5 speed for the G1 start having issues with being super sensitive to transmission fluid level (if it is even a little low) around 60k miles. You can resolve the issue a lot of times by adding more fluid or doing a 3.5 quart typical drain and fill (making sure you are truly at the full hot level). However, the pressure switch itself degrades or sticks after a while.

The 2nd/3rd pressure switch is an easy DIY (just to the left of the battery tray) and costs $51-$55 online. I just replaced in about 45 mins (more time is spent moving the air intake and battery). You torque to 15 ft-lbs and you need to move stuff to be able to put a torque wrench on it. There is also a $2 washer/gasket to replace.

The code it will throw is P0848 most of the time. I'd always check the code first and if this is code shown, do the quick DIY fix (for less than the cost of an out of warranty diagnostic charge).

Part#s: 28600-R94-004 (sensor) & 90471-PW7-A00 (gasket)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts