Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps in single digits today. Used the 2017 RL too run across town. I did remote start it and warned it up for about 5 min. Well, while driving it consistently would noticeably shift with a significant "clunk" from 2nd to 3rd when pulling away from a stop.

After getting to our location the RL essay for about an hour. When we left, it shifted smoothly on the way home. No clunk at all.

No innovator lights on the dash. Anyone ever experience this?

I am 27 months and 34.8K miles into ownership. I hesitate to take it to the dealer since it doesn't have any malfunction indicator lights active and the problem is gone.

Yes, it was could out but I've driven it multiple times in cold or colder weather. So, I'm not convinced it was due to the transmission being cold.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a few days later and this was a one time issue. It seems that an ignitions off-on cycle fixed something. It has shifted smoothly since this incident. The RL had sat for many days in cold weather so I am wondering if a transmission solenoid/valve was not working. Once it was warmed up it self corrected perhaps???

Paul.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL
56 Posts
I left for work the other day after my truck was in the garage all night. Immediately after driving down my level road, 1 to 2nd gear it had a hard time shifting and then a bang/clunk when finally shifted. Then again after it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. This bang/clunk is felt throughout the entire truck and is definitely not good for the drivetrain or hydraulic motor mounts. This is the second time this has happened so I immediately pulled over safely and shut off the engine. After restarting and driving again the issue was gone. So either a computer software issue or some kind of temp sensor or pressure switch as mentioned by zroger73.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have had this issue come up a few times. Definitely gets cleared by turning off the engine and restarting. One more thin to add though, pedal response is very poor during this time, almost like the cylinder cutoff is activated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Temps in single digits today. Used the 2017 RL too run across town. I did remote start it and warned it up for about 5 min. Well, while driving it consistently would noticeably shift with a significant "clunk" from 2nd to 3rd when pulling away from a stop.

After getting to our location the RL essay for about an hour. When we left, it shifted smoothly on the way home. No clunk at all.

No innovator lights on the dash. Anyone ever experience this?

I am 27 months and 34.8K miles into ownership. I hesitate to take it to the dealer since it doesn't have any malfunction indicator lights active and the problem is gone.

Yes, it was could out but I've driven it multiple times in cold or colder weather. So, I'm not convinced it was due to the transmission being cold.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
After start up if it clunks just one time at six or nine miles per hour (don't remember which) it's not a problem. It's the ABS module function test clunk when the solenoids activate. Your owners manual will state that as normal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is nothing to do with self testing as the problem remains until the it is shut down and restarted. Sound more like a computer glitch that throws it in to limp mode which is corrected by shutting her down and restating. has happened to me probably a dozen times, only in below freezing temperatures. Not exactly thrilled with the "Honda" experience since I just had all the injectors replaced albeit under warranty. My wife's Fiat 500L which is rated the worst car ever has had no issues whatsoever in 120,000 km.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I don't frequent this forum very often after the change in forum software. I was surprised to see this old post has some more recent activity.

I have never had a repeat in this issue. It is not good that others have seen it as well. Seems to be a cold weather issue. I agree entirely that this was not the brake actuator solenoids. This was a transmission issue that resolves after it warms up and the RL is cycled through an off/on sequence. Presumably this resets whatever confusion the control module involved was experiencing.

Paul

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL
56 Posts
I have had this issue come up a few times. Definitely gets cleared by turning off the engine and restarting. One more thin to add though, pedal response is very poor during this time, almost like the cylinder cutoff is activated.
I agree, it seems like the transmission is not fully engaged when this happens. Almost like when our older technology cars were starting to have transmission slipping/issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts