Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my Ridge in to get the windshield replaced (two previous visits were unable to remedy the wind noise) and after that work was completed I asked my service advisor to take a ride with me to hear a strange thump I had been hearing from the left rear wheel area. Luckily for me, we only had to pull out onto the street and he too heard the noise! So we pulled it back into the shop and put it up in the air only to find that the left rear shock had went bad and was leaking fluid all down the lower suspension arm. Now if I had been off roading like a fool I might have expected this..but I have "baby-ed" this truck! Anyway..he's going to have to order a shock for it (these shocks are a custom item, indicitive of the Ridgeline only) and call me when it comes in. Also he is supposed to be checking to see if there is a software update for the door unlock dilemma that we all love.....to hate that is. So.....anybody else have funny noises or leaky shocks????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I read an article someplace on the net, some long test drive company?, this guy went camping in the grand canyon for the weekend he was going down some back road trail and blew the struts. I believed he bashed the quality of the ridgeline and said he has done the same trip in a toyota and never had a problem? I wrote that off as a b.s. story who knows what he was doing? Maybe not now ,after hearing your story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
Today I took my Ridge in to get the windshield replaced (two previous visits were unable to remedy the wind noise) and after that work was completed I asked my service advisor to take a ride with me to hear a strange thump I had been hearing from the left rear wheel area. Luckily for me, we only had to pull out onto the street and he too heard the noise! So we pulled it back into the shop and put it up in the air only to find that the left rear shock had went bad and was leaking fluid all down the lower suspension arm. Now if I had been off roading like a fool I might have expected this..but I have "baby-ed" this truck! Anyway..he's going to have to order a shock for it (these shocks are a custom item, indicitive of the Ridgeline only) and call me when it comes in. Also he is supposed to be checking to see if there is a software update for the door unlock dilemma that we all love.....to hate that is. So.....anybody else have funny noises or leaky shocks????
The strut problem was discussed on Edmonds.com where they blew out 3 of them during their testing. Most people believe, including Honda that they abused the Ridgeline during the test.:confused:
I just had my front left strut assembly replaced yesterday because of the thumping noise/leaking strut.
I also had to make 3 trips to the dealer to get it resolved, #1 diagnosed the problem and order the part, #2 installed the strut assembly but then found out they could not do the needed alignment because they did not have the specs yet for their machine and then on trip #3, I had the alignment done.
All is well now and the one good thing about it was that I got 3 really good car washes, interior vacuumed and even the tires shined up!
I do take mine off road but do not abuse it and I still think we will see Honda have to address this somewhere down the road. It is a truck and if they want long term credibility in the marketplace there is going to have to be a perception that the Ridgeline is tough enough and can do moderate work/offroading without fear of damaging the suspension.
With all this being said, I still think the Ridgeline is a great all purpose truck (It is a Honda) and will be a great overall choice for my needs for many years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Outfitter said:
I do take mine off road but do not abuse it and I still think we will see Honda have to address this somewhere down the road. It is a truck and if they want long term credibility in the marketplace there is going to have to be a perception that the Ridgeline is tough enough and can do moderate work/offroading without fear of damaging the suspension.
With all this being said, I still think the Ridgeline is a great all purpose truck (It is a Honda) and will be a great overall choice for my needs for many years.
Judging from what I have read on this forum, I believe Honda has been sold w a lot of defective shocks. Someone's Quality Control failed as well. There has been quiet a few posts about shocks failing for no reason, on both old and newer trucks. If you do a search for "struts", "weird noise" "bumps" etc. you'll find most of them. I have not had this failure. I bought mine in March
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
I had my right front strut replaced after mentioning a thumping noise when turning at slow speeds. I think I will need to bring it back for an alignment because for me to go straight, I need to have the steering wheel turned slightly to the left. I do a little off roading, nothing I would call serious. I also drive over curbs a lot for my job, nothing fast, but I do need to get up out of traffic at times.

Overall, I consider this to be a minor issue. The truck was in and out in one day and it did not severly impact my use of the truck.

So far I have had the creaky steering wheel, whistling windshield, and broken strut all replaced. Next up is the alignment and left front speaker grill rattle taken care of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
nevadagarth said:
I had my right front strut replaced after mentioning a thumping noise when turning at slow speeds. I think I will need to bring it back for an alignment because for me to go straight, I need to have the steering wheel turned slightly to the left. I do a little off roading, nothing I would call serious. I also drive over curbs a lot for my job, nothing fast, but I do need to get up out of traffic at times.

Overall, I consider this to be a minor issue. The truck was in and out in one day and it did not severly impact my use of the truck.

So far I have had the creaky steering wheel, whistling windshield, and broken strut all replaced. Next up is the alignment and left front speaker grill rattle taken care of.
Did your dealer have the strut assembly in stock? I was told they were a special order item from OH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Special order. The dealership is about 6 blocks from my office so it is not a big deal to "make an extra trip". I am lucky that way.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top