Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We are considering purchasing a travel trailer to do some weekend camping in (myself, my wife and 2 kids). I absolutely love my 1st-gen RL so going to a larger tow vehicle is not an option!

We have been looking at things in the 16-19' range. Just curious if any of you have something in this range and/or any recommendations for something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm interested to see what brands/models fit this size also.
I don't know what the tow rating is for the G1, but I'm guessing you'll need something that doesn't exceed 3,500 lbs. So maybe a single axle that's less than 20 ft. With 4 people and the potential to be stuck inside during a rain, methinks a slideout would be mandatory. :laugh:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm interested to see what brands/models fit this size also.
I don't know what the tow rating is for the G1, but I'm guessing you'll need something that doesn't exceed 3,500 lbs. So maybe a single axle that's less than 20 ft. With 4 people and the potential to be stuck inside during a rain, methinks a slideout would be mandatory. :laugh:
The G1 tow rating is the same as the G2 AWD tow rating -- 5000 lbs.

OP, be sure to consider tongue weight, and loaded weight (vs. dry weight.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
We tow a Rockwood 2306. Double axle almost 25' including tongue. It's a bunkhouse that sleeps four normally and up to six (2 small children) if you convert the dinette into a bed.

Lots of manufacturers with single axles in your length range: Casita, Rockwood, Airstream, and many more.
There's also pop-up, hardside, or hybrid to consider. I'm lazy, so only hardside for me, but to each his own.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I easily pulled my 24' HiLo with an 11 RL; the camper was rated at 5000 pounds (loaded/ unloaded 4000#). Note: we only traveled the flat lands, no hills; while not impossible I don't think it'd do well in any long or steep climbs. Dial in your trailer brake controller and ensure you up the gas octane.

Bigger NOTE: our camper had a walkway too narrow for two adults (plus two large dogs). As R17 pointed out, if you can get one (within the limiting weights) with a slide I'd say it should get considerations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Used my 1st Gen to pull this Bigfoot 17. It was a great little 4 season trailer that I used in many small mountain campsites. The RL had no problems handling it but some long steep grades challenged it.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
We had a K-Z 14 RB. Very small (sleeps 3, but 4+dog in emergency). Pulled very easily (GVW was 2,800 lbs!).

Picking up a Gulf Stream, Ameri Lite 238RK in a few weeks. Dry weight is 4,800 lbs, so this will be at the limit for the RL. All flat-land travel/camping until I replace the RL <sniff>, which is fine for east coastal camping.

They do have bunk-house models, which might fit your needs better, but I don't recall where they fit weight-wise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alto Safari is the one. Google it. The retractable top one is perfect. Towed with Pilot and old GMC Canyon . Piece of cake for RL.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi all,
We are considering purchasing a travel trailer to do some weekend camping in (myself, my wife and 2 kids). I absolutely love my 1st-gen RL so going to a larger tow vehicle is not an option!

We have been looking at things in the 16-19' range. Just curious if any of you have something in this range and/or any recommendations for something.

Thanks!
It took us over one year of research and lots of crawling through many travel trailers, and we ended up with a happy match for our truck. For over 1 1/2 years we have been towing our Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS with our 2011 RTL. You didn't mention how old your 2 kids were, so I can only guess what their sleeping requirements might be. Ours does have a full queen size bed, and there is a sleeper sofa on the slide that "could" accommodate a couple of small kiddos. More than adequate galley with range, oven/broiler, microwave, refrigerator/freezer and more cabinet and pantry space than we've been able to use yet. LED TV and entertainment system and a pair of wardrobe closets on either side of the walk around queen bed. Adequate shower and lavratory with a real medicine cabinet. It works great for just the two of us but you would need to Google this unit to see if it might work for you.

Experience-wise, we have logged just over 6,200 miles and have had a wonderful time in a variety of conditions and terrain. Fully loaded for a typical week long trip (though with very little fresh water in that tank and both gray and black tanks empty), our CAT Scale weights stay right at 4,600 lbs with tongue weights coming in around 480-520 lbs. GCW has usually been around 9,100 lbs. Since the trailer is 10' tall and 8' wide the key issue affecting mileage performance is wind. Our towing log reflects an overall average of 9.00 MPG. Though we start out in the flat lands of the Texas Gulf Coast, virtually all of our trips find us pretty quickly in rolling and then hilly landscape. We've towed in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas and many trips to various parts of the Texas Hill Country.

I really look forward to hitching up to go.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts