Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for my supposed delivery date next week I bought a short USB cable for my phone so it is not looped all over the place. I went with a 10 inch version so I can put it on the area just below the Dash USB port (required for Android Auto Apple CarPlay).

I think 10 inches is enough cord - had to guess. If anyone that has a new RL can comment it would be appreciated.

FYI, I had a bit if a time finding a highly rated one -lots of cheap ones out there. I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160CP1JQ

They also have lightning versions for iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone here has shopped at Monoprice but they have good quality stuff some of which is also sold on Amazon. Just another source, and with a shorter cable, you should see improved charging times, from what I've read. (I'm completely unsure why a few ethernet cables are in the search I've linked)

·
Registered
49 Posts
10" should be plenty, if you can make the AA work. Supposedly my samsung s6 is a supported pohone by honda, and i can only get the head unit to recognize and link with the phone once every 30 times its plugged in, using and original samsung cable. very frustrating. Gotta check if it links to my wifes s6 to see if its my phone or if im going to the dealer a week after getting the truck.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone here has shopped at Monoprice but they have good quality stuff some of which is also sold on Amazon. Just another source, and with a shorter cable, you should see improved charging times, from what I've read. (I'm completely unsure why a few ethernet cables are in the search I've linked)
I buy all of my cords for EVERYTHING from Monoprice. Lifetime warranty on them as well. Outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly my samsung s6 is a supported pohone by honda, and i can only get the head unit to recognize and link with the phone once every 30 times
Supposedly it does work but I recall seeing somewhere that you had to change some settings. Mine is a Nexus so hopefully pure Android will be better, it should be.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and it hooks up perfectly each time. Do you have the latest versions of software for the phone and for Andriod Auto?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
My Nexus 6P came with a short cord that luckily I kept and works perfectly. I was stressing out about finding a short one and realized I still had it. Assuming the manufacturer probably predicted that most folks would charge in their car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
10" should be plenty, if you can make the AA work. Supposedly my samsung s6 is a supported pohone by honda, and i can only get the head unit to recognize and link with the phone once every 30 times its plugged in, using and original samsung cable. very frustrating. Gotta check if it links to my wifes s6 to see if its my phone or if im going to the dealer a week after getting the truck.
Try different a different cable! When used for daily charging, the connectors can get a little loose on the cable...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another suggestion would be from Anker (they also make quality cables and chargers)....
Yes, Anker is very good and their customer support is excellent. I bought a hub a year or so ago and one of the ports broke. They sent me a new one no questions asked and let me keep the old one, which still worked on 3 of the 4 ports.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and it hooks up perfectly each time. Do you have the latest versions of software for the phone and for Andriod Auto?
updated to newest firmware yesterday
deleted and redownloaded AA app on the phone.

cannot for the life of me figure our how to reboot the nav/headunit

did the master factory reset on the nav at lunch today....will not link up

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
I've had poor luck with fitment on non-Apple cables. I bought a highly-rated Lightning extension cable to use in the CR-V recently and the plug was difficult to insert into the phone. Few can match Apple's manufacturing precision. Some have reported CarPlay compatibility issues when using non-Apple cables. There actually are electronics in these cables that are use for authentication. For me, I'll just roll up the genuine Apple Lightning-USB cable. It bugs me that Honda didn't locate the only USB port that supports CarPlay in the center console where everything could be completely out of sight so that you could use CarPlay as intended - you know - through the vehicle's display. If I were the type to modify my vehicles, the FIRST thing I'd do is swap the dash-mounted and console-mounted USB ports.

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
I've had poor luck with fitment on non-Apple cables. I bought a highly-rated Lightning extension cable to use in the CR-V recently and the plug was difficult to insert into the phone. Few can match Apple's manufacturing precision. Some have reported CarPlay compatibility issues when using non-Apple cables. There actually are electronics in these cables that are use for authentication. For me, I'll just roll up the genuine Apple Lightning-USB cable. It bugs me that Honda didn't locate the only USB port that supports CarPlay in the center console where everything could be completely out of sight so that you could use CarPlay as intended - you know - through the vehicle's display. If I were the type to modify my vehicles, the FIRST thing I'd do is swap the dash-mounted and console-mounted USB ports.
In my opinion it would be best if multiple ports were connected, but the user/owner could "define" which port was the one connecting to Android Auto/CarPlay. Having all ports "AutoConnect" could be a mess.

They probably didn't put the CarPlay USB port in the console so your iPhone wouldn't overheat in there! :p
In certain climates it could "overheat" the device, but I'd also be concerned about "forgetting it" and leaving the phone in the center console.

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
In my opinion it would be best if multiple ports were connected, but the user/owner could "define" which port was the one connecting to Android Auto/CarPlay. Having all ports "AutoConnect" could be a mess.

Yes - that would be ideal.

In certain climates it could "overheat" the device, but I'd also be concerned about "forgetting it" and leaving the phone in the center console.
As attached as most people are to their phones these days you think they'll actually leave one behind? ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
As attached as most people are to their phones these days you think they'll actually leave one behind? ;)
TRUE DAT!!! :grin:

But when they do, and then their $40k RL get's broken into in the Car Pool Parking Lot, they will be blaming Honda, you know in the "Litigation Happy" country we live in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The cable I use is probably about 10". Works perfectly. I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 and haven't had any problem with Anroid Auto. I'm loving it.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Get a job in IT, you'll never have to buy another chord of any kind for the rest of your life.

I have boxes full of them at the office.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts