Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been Interested in the new Ridgeline, since it's announcement, but I got ants in the pants and bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado in May, a LT 4wd, Red Rock Met. in color, 4dr crew cab. It turns out not to have been a wise decision. We like the truck, it's super sharp, etc... but..., it has a host of issues, transmission shifting, engine rattle at start-up & several other things, (my dealer & GM is useless on). My other issue is getting in & out, mostly in. Even with the seat mostly all the way down & back (power) I still hit my head getting in. I thought I could get use to it/live with it, but I can't. I have some back problems, and it just isn't working out. I know the RL has a great ease of entry/exit in comparison. Wished I had cooled my heals & waited on the RL, although I know it has had some issues too. Is it worth the plunge?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I don't have one yet but I heard of only one person that did not love the new RL. I can't say that for the new GM Twins. But I do think the G2 is better, overall in most areas, some areas are light years ahead. I like the as needed constant all wheel drive 4 wheel independent suspension the most. I am still hoping for a decent cap to me made for it.
But I think you will like the G2 better. Go for a test drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
Been Interested in the new Ridgeline, since it's announcement, but I got ants in the pants and bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado in May, a LT 4wd, Red Rock Met. in color, 4dr crew cab. It turns out not to have been a wise decision. We like the truck, it's super sharp, etc... but..., it has a host of issues, transmission shifting, engine rattle at start-up & several other things, (my dealer & GM is useless on). My other issue is getting in & out, mostly in. Even with the seat mostly all the way down & back (power) I still hit my head getting in. I thought I could get use to it/live with it, but I can't. I have some back problems, and it just isn't working out. I know the RL has a great ease of entry/exit in comparison. Wished I had cooled my heals & waited on the RL, although I know it has had some issues too. Is it worth the plunge?
Thanks!
I know exactly what you are talking about--I hit my head quite a bit if I did not tilt my head to the side when getting in the G1 Ridgeline. It was tough if I had some sort of ache or pain. I have not noticed that problem on the G2.

You will lose several thousand on the trade-in, that is the trade-off.

Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too was in the market for a Chevy Colorado (having had my Avalanche for eleven years). I wanted to downsize from the Tank but still needed a truck and wanted the tech as I was still only able to play CDs (no Bluetooth). The Colorado seemed the best transition and test drove just fine until I drove the Ridgeline. It was like night and day... Like driving a luxury vehicle! Much more headroom, backseat legroom, and it was he only midsize truck with rear seat A/C. Plus the cargo options are better. I've had it now for three weeks and no issues and look forward to driving it everyday. I haul around a lot of musical instrument gear and it's less cumbersome than with my Avalanche. If your looking for a commuter and utility truck it's a no brainier. But you'll have to test drive to see for yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's how I feel about the Tacoma. It seems like a nice truck, but it's just uncomfortable for me to get into (I'm 6' 1"). I had an '89 Toyota pickup and drove it for 12 years, no issues. Maybe it was because I was younger or that it was 2wd, but now that I'm older, I don't want to spend the next 15 years fighting that entry.
I was at the Toyota dealer the other day and spent some time just trying to figure out the best way to get into the darn thing (4wd). If I remove the top 6" of my head, it might work.

In comparison, while I was at the Honda dealer getting my Pilot worked on, I sat in a Ridgeline and it was like plopping into a nice old recliner.

Only you can decide if taking the financial hit is worth it. I think there is one guy on here who traded in his 2016 Tacoma, so you wouldn't be the first to jump off a new ship. Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's how I feel about the Tacoma. It seems like a nice truck, but it's just uncomfortable for me to get into (I'm 6' 1"). I had an '89 Toyota pickup and drove it for 12 years, no issues. Maybe it was because I was younger or that it was 2wd, but now that I'm older, I don't want to spend the next 15 years fighting that entry.
I was at the Toyota dealer the other day and spent some time just trying to figure out the best way to get into the darn thing (4wd). If I remove the top 6" of my head, it might work.
I test drove a Tacoma 2016 limited before the RL... While it was a solid feeling truck, when I first got in the drivers seat, my head was immediately touching the ceiling even while tilted (I'm 6'3). I had to lean back the seat just to not touch my head. It was uncomfortable. I too had an older ('91) Toyota pickup and didn't remember it being that bad... The Tacoma just felt so cramped!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had the C601 dash warning light wiring harness failure and it has been replaced by the dealer along with another harness. I am still impressed every time I drive the Ridgeline. Its quieter than any other vehicle I've ever owned. It rides nice and smoothly. And gets decent fuel economy.
I'm satisfied with my purchase and would buy again. Whether I'd wait a few months? I'm not sure. As long as Honda responds quickly with solid corrections to some early flaws I'll be ok with my decision.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
It would be great to get a new owner with a higher, more recent +10k VIN to see if any adjustments in the c601 harness at fault has an updated configuration or something?
I don't get mine until Friday so if I knew where to look, I'd be happy to do so (VIN 123xx).
Unless I have to dismantle the truck bed...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am 2 weeks and 1000 miles in on my "E" (stands for Elite or ... right?) and cannot stop loving every minute spent behind the wheel. Zero significant issues with a VIN in the 11,000 range. Biggest sadness is knowing that we'uns down south of the (Canadian) border did not get cooled seats and rear seat HVAC controls. Sometimes it is better not to know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I noticed the same thing about the head hitting the door opening and I am only 6ft tall. That wasn't an issue on the ridgeline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
To be honest with you i think you should have waited for the RL to see if you liked it or not before pulling the plug on a Colorado. Although, do i think you went wrong with buying a Colorado? No i don't. I was about to buy a GMC Canyon before buying my RL, it was an SLE with the all-terrain package. I loved that truck, however i thought in the long run i would be much more comfortable in the RL. i found that it drove better, fit me better (i am 6'5) and the gas milage was good for a truck that size. I prefer the Canyon over the Colorado IMO but i love my RL. Its diffrent then must trucks and diffrent is good. Every car has its issues, i'm sorry your Colorado has them. Just know i think you made a good choice. I'd much rather a GM pickup (eaither the Canyon or Colorado) over a Tacoma or a Frontier any day of the week. I'd rather a RL over them all.

·
Administrator
16,057 Posts
A little over two months about 2,800 miles with my RTL-E and I'm very pleased overall.

My favorite things:
- The quietness
- The ride quality
- The fuel economy (relative to the first-generation Ridgelines I owned)
- The audio quality
- The electronic features

Nothing has broken so far. My biggest complaint at this point is an intermittent creak when turning the steering wheel. It hasn't yet got bad or consistent enough to justify the hassle of driving to the dealer and attempting a repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and seriously considered the Colorado (we test drive several). It's a sharp looking truck. There were a couple of items that were missing that were on our "must have" list plus a couple of extras that made the Honda the best choice. Both of us absolutely love it.
1- Dual Zone air conditioning. We have this in our other vehicle and it's a nice feature that we use a lot. 2- no keyless ignition. This one may seem trivial but again we have it on our other two vehicles and it made the Chevy seem technologically behind the times. Plus in no lined bed (has to be added extra) and the Honda bed trunk is a great feature.
Overall, I think the Honda has a much nicer interior. Lastly, Chevy also drove much more "like a truck" but also has a higher tow rating (not important to us- we have a boat but it's 3,500 pounds so the Honda can easily tow it).
The Honda seems more expensive until you add all the extras to make the Chevy comparable then the prices were about the same. Ended up with a RTL-T with zero regrets.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, it's going to be pitiful. So much so I might not be able to. :frown:
Maybe you could test drive the '17 Ridgeline and just see what kinda deal is possible. As you know, trucks hold their value better than cars, ... you may not be in as bad a position as you think. Check out your current trucks value at KBB or NADA, get your $$$ lined up before you go, have a "trade $ number in mind", .... and be prepared to walk if you don't like the deal :wink: Do this at the end of a quarter, at a dealership that has a few Ridgelines sitting around. See what their finance guy can do too, ... You may be surprised :smile:

If you normally keep your vehicles a long time, say 5-8 yrs, amortizeing a couple grand loss over those years may only cost you a small monthly amount to trade now, and be comfortable, .... after all comfort is worth something too 0:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts