Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this site. I am thinking of buying a Honda Ridgeline.
I saw a 2007 Ridgeline RTS online with 128,000kms (~80,000miles) for 10K$ and a nicer 2009 Ridgeline EX-L for 15k$ but with 180,000kms (~112,000miles)

I know that depending on maintenance and treatment the 2009 might still be good...but i've already bought 1 vehicle with high mileage and it was nothing but expense after expense. So should I go with the 2009 or the 2007?

I know there are some Ridgelines with lower mileage but they are much more expensive

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
Dace,

So much depends on how the candidate vehicle has been maintained and operated. That is something which only you can determine, as best you can. Are there any maintenance records available? Can you speak with the prior owner?

The 2009 you are considering may have been built in Canada (as was the 2007). But the 2009 could have been built in Alabama. Regardless, the 2009 and up have some improvements over the 2006-2008 models with a revised engine and transmission plus the trip computer, a MAF sensor, etc. The 2009 will be a better tow vehicle, if that's important to you.

Neither mileage is excessive, as long as the vehicle has been properly operated/maintained.

Do some research here at the ROC and have the candidate vehicle properly checked out. If all checks good, you should expect a long, troublefree service life.

Reactions: skelley521

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just went through a month long process of buying a used RL through True car. I owned an 06 which I bought new and traded in in 2014. I'll post my experience in a new thread, but I can tell you this. You will not find An RTL with under 100,000 miles on it for less then $14,000 on Truecar. That will be your starting point (or higher). Speedlever said it all however regarding maintenance. Lets say for arguments sake both vehicles were maintained properly. I would go for the 07. You are getting 30,000 fewer miles for what is essentially the same truck.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
DON'T FORGET to consider whether the timing belt service has been done on the higher mileage vehicle. It's likely not been done on the 80K truck. That might make a difference for you when considering cost/miles trade-off (presuming it HAS been done on the 2009). It can also be a very valuable negotiating point. If it hasn't been done on either... it really is just an age vs. miles argument (presuming same condition).

I also agree to go with the lower miles (even if older) truck. AND if you can get them to knock another $500-$1000 off due to need for TB service before too long, you'll be ahead of the game.

IF you are looking at these trucks from a dealer... ask them to throw in the TB service (their cost will probably be less than $300), if they don't want to lower the price. It can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
As long as the fluid maintenance has been done, I wouldn't be worried about the mileage at all. I have a 2007 RTL and it's been wonderful for me. Still drives and looks like a newer vehicle even with 150k+ miles on it. The updates that were made in 2009 are very nice. Upgraded engine/tranny tuning to provide slightly stronger and more even power delivery. Updated front fascia and a few other exterior pieces. Nicer 18" wheels. If it were me, I'd pick the 2009 RTL. I had never had a vehicle with leather heated seats and a power moonroof before. I would refuse to buy another vehicle that DIDN'T have them. Extremely nice in the winter (heated seats), much easier to clean and maintain (RTS cloth seats stain very easily) and the airflow with the moonroof and rear sliding window open is wonderful and quiet. It all comes down to if you care about those features or not.

As Dnick said, the timing belt service is very important. If it's already been done on either of the trucks, that's a bonus. If there's no proof of it, they both need it and it can be worked into the deal.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
........... Updated front fascia and a few other exterior pieces. Nicer 18" wheels. If it were me, I'd pick the 2009 RTL. I had never had a vehicle with leather heated seats and a power moonroof before. ...........
I might have to backtrack... I didn't notice that the 2009 was "RTL" (I'm not familiar with Canadian model terms as in EX-L).
I agree I'd go for the "up-model" vs. the RTS, if you can swing it. My intent was "go for lower miles, all things being equal" ... and I don't put that much weight on "changes" made in 2009. But these two models are NOT equal. In my opinion, you're getting more benefit from the model difference than from the year difference.
Also, Ian brings a good point of front facia; you might just like the look of one better than the other. Personally, I like my '06 with accessories grill; but I'm sure there's a little bias built into that opinion! :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
The negative (to me) of the RTL is the sunroof. I prefer not to have that on a vehicle. But that is an individual thing. I also like my cloth seats in my RL. The negative to cloth is the static electricity in winter, but they are warm in winter and cool in summer, compared to leather. OTOH, leather is much easier to keep clean.

So it really comes down to personal choice... as regards the trim differences. Otherwise, if the vehicles have been properly maintained and operated, go with personal choice and pricing at your comfort level.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you don't like cloth seats for $200.00 you can get just about any seat cover in any fabric you want. The leather seats can look kind of ratty after awhile Sun roof. Certainly not a game changer. Individual AC/heat? Now that's a nice feature. I don't think the RTS has that.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you don't like cloth seats for $200.00 you can get just about any seat cover in any fabric you want. The leather seats can look kind of ratty after awhile Sun roof. Certainly not a game changer. Individual AC/heat? Now that's a nice feature. I don't think the RTS has that.
Audio's upgraded as well, presuming it's still factory.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
The negative (to me) of the RTL is the sunroof. I prefer not to have that on a vehicle. But that is an individual thing. I also like my cloth seats in my RL. The negative to cloth is the static electricity in winter, but they are warm in winter and cool in summer, compared to leather. OTOH, leather is much easier to keep clean.

So it really comes down to personal choice... as regards the trim differences. Otherwise, if the vehicles have been properly maintained and operated, go with personal choice and pricing at your comfort level.
Once again, just personal choice. The sunroof is used almost every day in my RL when the temperature is above 55-60 degrees (and not raining). The leather is the only way I'd go. Much more durable than the cloth and easier to keep clean. Beyond that, because of the tinted windows and the fact that I lower all of my windows about an inch to expel heat from inside the cabin in the summer, I've never had a problem with the leather being too hot. In some cases, the sun will come through the windows and warm them up a bit, but driving for a few minutes cools them down. Likewise, in the winter, they're only cold for a few minutes until my butt heat (ew) and the seat heaters kick in.

Extremely good point. Good seat covers are hard to beat and keep the factory cloth clean. Plus, with some materials, you can simply remove them and machine wash them. With the synthetic leather that is used in vehicles today, it lasts much longer than real leather does and requires less maintenance. I wipe down my seats with a separate cleaner and conditioner about twice a year and it is still in great condition. Very minimal creasing and wrinkling and no signs of cracking. The dual climate control is standard on the RTS models and up. RT, RTX and Sport models did not have it.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Pretty much. However, the 2009 RTL with 32,000 more miles is a heck of a lot more expensive than the 07 RTS. I think a fair price for the 09 RTL would be more like $13,500-$14k. The 07 RTS at a $10k asking price is an absolute steal. You could probably get it for $9000, which is basically unheard of. I think if you could get the 09 RTL for under $13k, go with it. Otherwise, buy the 07 RTS and know you got a great deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I chose an RTS for a few reasons.

1. I didn't want leather seats, didn't care for the moon roof.
2. I wanted the nice sound system, but didn't want a Nav package that was going to look out of date in two years and I'd be using google maps anyway. A simple stereo lcd screen could be from 2015 or 2000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I thought about it and thought about it. While I prefer the look of the 2009 I decided to go with the 2007. Why? Lower price and mileage.

I just signed the papers today. I'm a bit worried though, I decided not to have it inspected but perhaps I should have. It's not in pristine condition. The passenger side door has a big dent on the lower right corner (not major but not aesthetically pleasing). And around the fuel cap there is rust. The left tail light casing was broken. It was also used for towing, they installed a brake controller(not sure what wear that had on the engine). Other than that and the fact that it was dirty. It seemed in good condition. Ran well, no strange noises. Shift lever was a bit strange to use but i guess it's cause I'm not use to it.

Oh, what was also alarming were the lights on the dash. The vtm (4wd) light was on yellow with a yellow triangle above it. Not sure if that's serious. Dealer said they would take care of it

I'll post pics once I get it

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I thought about it and thought about it. While I prefer the look of the 2009 I decided to go with the 2007. Why? Lower price and mileage.

I just signed the papers today. I'm a bit worried though, I decided not to have it inspected but perhaps I should have. It's not in pristine condition. The passenger side door has a big dent on the lower right corner (not major but not aesthetically pleasing). And around the fuel cap there is rust. The left tail light casing was broken. It was also used for towing, they installed a brake controller(not sure what wear that had on the engine). Other than that and the fact that it was dirty. It seemed in good condition. Ran well, no strange noises. Shift lever was a bit strange to use but i guess it's cause I'm not use to it.

Oh, what was also alarming were the lights on the dash. The vtm (4wd) light was on yellow with a yellow triangle above it. Not sure if that's serious. Dealer said they would take care of it

I'll post pics once I get it
I would've walked. To many unknown issues. Never buy a vehicle unless you know 100% what's wrong with it.
Have it scanned at a Honda dealer.
Vehicle maintenance history?
Saving a little money now may cost you a lot more money later.
Yup, I would've walked, YMMV

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would've walked. To many unknown issues. Never buy a vehicle unless you know 100% what's wrong with it.
Have it scanned at a Honda dealer.
Vehicle maintenance history?
Saving a little money now may cost you a lot more money later.
Yup, I would've walked, YMMV
Don't walk run away from this Ridgeline.I don't think its too late yet.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Agreed. The brake controller and rust would have been enough for me to walk away. I would have kept looking, but it appears that it's too late for that now. If he's already signed the papers and taken delivery, it's his truck. Being that it's a 2007 and the maintenance history is pretty unknown, I would do a full change of all the fluids. The engine oil was likely changed by the dealership, but ensure that was done. Otherwise, do a full change (three or four drains and fills) of the transmission fluid, a drain and fill of the rear diff VTM-4 fluid, a drain and fill of the front transfer case gear oil and a change on the power steering and brake fluid. I'd also change out the air filters for the engine and cabin, too. All of these are VERY simple to do on your own with only hand tools. You can save a pile of money if you DIY.

Being that you're quoting KM, I'd assume you're in Canada. That means the truck has seen "severe" conditions and the accelerated maintenance schedule should be followed. At 80,000 miles, you really need to check three main things: 1. the condition of the transmission fluid exchanger fittings on the bottom of the radiator. If these fail, you could have very big problems on your hands with the worst being a ruined transmission. 2. the proper torque and condition of the spark plugs. Whereas the issue seems to affect mostly 2006 models, the 2007 isn't immune to it. Basically, the spark plug in the #4 cylinder works its way loose and causes an issue with the head forming a crack. Very expensive fix. 3. know that the timing belt service is a good idea now. Being that the truck has likely been in very cold temperatures for an extended period of time, the timing belt could be getting towards the end of its life.

It's not too late for this truck by any means. We don't know how well the previous owner took care of it, but we can assume that it may not have been very well judging by the rust and the dent in the door. Dace, be prepared to put a little money into the truck. If you truly got it for $10k or less (USD), you got a steal anyways.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,407 Posts
Dace, these are the threads related to the Radiator Issue...

I'm unsure if you know about the Radiator issues, but this is an easy 3hr job if you stay focused, otherwise get it done with the timing belt, so you only pay for new coolant once.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

YouTube Video of Leaking Spectra...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your concern but I decided that it was too good of a deal to pass.

The taillight was fixed and is now working.

Just need to take care of the warning lights on the dash. I had a mechanic take a look at it and it seems to be related to the abs module.
It gave error code 52-1. For now I have no abs and I can't engage 4-VTM lock. Also tpms keeps lighting up, switching from "!" light to "TPMS" light

I found a used leer cap for sale on kijiji for 1495$ CDN with installation. So I got it. Not the same colour as my Ridgeline but looks good, two tone.

Here are some pics:

\

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying your truck so far. For the record, that is not an RTS - it's a base model RT. I can tell by the steel wheels and the black door handles. The RTS would have alloy wheels, body colored handles, dual climate control, steering wheel audio controls and a 6-disc changer head unit. If the place you bought it advertised it as an RTS, they're wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts