Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I hope to test drive Ridgeline
The dealer has a used 2018, new 2019 or 2020.
Thoughts everybody??

·
Registered
'20 BE w/Skid Plates, Upgraded Stereo
53 Posts
While I understand that the Canadian models have slightly different things (cooled seats and extendable mirrors?), the 2018 and 2019 are essentially the same. The 2020 has a new transmission - 9 gears versus 6 gears, a power lock for the tailgate, and push-button shifter.

I've noticed that there's not a lot of depreciation - ~4k (USD) for used vs new and ~2k per year. So as long as the 2018's price is less than 32k (USD), it's a good deal (IMHO). Otherwise, I'd just buy the 2020... which I actually did.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In general, a new vehicle is not a good financial decision unless you generally keep yours for a longish period of time. I keep my vehicles for 10 years or more and just bought a 2020 RTL-E. I had a 2007 RTS previously. The 2020 is much nicer on the interior and has addressed several of my pet peeves with the gen 1. There are a few things I am not a fan of. like the press to engage/press to release parking brake. The electric assisted steering doesn't feel as 'confident' as the gen 1 steering. Two standouts on the gen 2 are the little 'fly' windows on the front doors. They really aid vision when making turns, especially left ones. The second feature that works well is the adaptive cruise control. I use it a lot. I didn't use cruise control often on the G1.
All in all, pleased with the vehicle. I only have 1000 miles on it and am still learning all the systems. The first two weeks were spent mostly on my driveway, reading the manual and learning the systems. The info system i still confusing at times and probably will be forever:)

·
Super Moderator
5,559 Posts
If you can get a decent price on the 2020 - go for it. You will avoid known transmission, injector, and water leak issues that are present in the 2017-2019 Ridgeline. I am not dogging the RL, but letting you know what may occur in those earlier years.

Reactions: olgzr

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you can get a decent price on the 2020 - go for it. You will avoid known transmission, injector, and water leak issues that are present in the 2017-2019 Ridgeline. I am not dogging the RL, but letting you know what may occur in those earlier years.
Agree on injectors and transmission. Why do we believe the water leak problems have been solved in 2020s? Those were related due to poor seam welding and I have seen nothing on here about a change for the better in that regard. Seems to be a hit or miss quality control type of issue.

-Mike

·
Registered
434 Posts
Kinda unrelated to the RL itself but FYI Honda just issued the offiicial recall for the electronics nightmares that have been plaguing Pilots, Passports and Odysseys for the past 2 years. 1.6million vehicles covered.

Means if there's a next year model it's 100% going to feature the new dash and updated head unit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Agree on injectors and transmission. Why do we believe the water leak problems have been solved in 2020s? Those were related due to poor seam welding and I have seen nothing on here about a change for the better in that regard. Seems to be a hit or miss quality control type of issue.

-Mike
On the same note, and this is coming from someone who is not in love with the Honda 6AT either, why would anyone believe that the ZF9 issues that have plagued Pilot and Passport owners were magically solved in the 2020 Ridgeline?

Honestly, if the dealer has all 3, drive them back to back and see.
If the 2018 has some miles on it you will at least have the benefit of seeing how it ages. Canadian models have had more logical trim levels/features from the start
A new 2019 this late in the year will probably have a stack of incentives on top.
A few points in favor of the 2020 - if you tow and/or go offroad, the much lower 1st gear ratio and paddle shifters to stay in a gear may be of benefit. Honda Sensing, locking tailgate, and longer rear door checks are standard if those are important to you.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would/could argue NEW keeping it 3 years, but it's all based on your personal factors and needs.

Up until this year, (Pandemic and all) without fail, I would put over 30,000 miles per year and depended on reliability so I never trust used vehicles. (I've been burned) You just don't know how hard it was driven before you, amount of mileage is really only 1 aspect. Working an hour from home, one of the last things you want at the end of the day is to break down. Having to be somewhere and sitting on the road is something I dealt with too many times when I was younger and I will do whatever I can to prevent that at this point.

I'm probably an outlier, but my point is, everyone's experiences and needs are different. If your daily routine is staying within 20 minutes of home and putting under 12 thousand miles on your vehicle a year, that would be the complete opposite of my situation and than yes, I would be much more open to buying used.

No one can or should give you an answer without knowing all of your personal factors.

How many miles do you drive a year?

How far is your work commute (if you have one)?

Money is always a factor, both ways. Meaning, a car payment on something new can be budgeted, repairs on out of warranty car is an unknown factor that could be more of a crapshoot. Are you feeling lucky? The flip side, used are cheaper to start with.

Do you have to keep a tight schedule, and is being somewhere on time very important? This shouldn't be overlooked, not only people like doctors have to be places, but a lot of professions have to be reliable for being somewhere at the right time (within reason), this includes parents especially when children are younger. You get the point.

How much can you personally do with maintenance and repairs, or how much do you want to do?

Do you prefer to keep your vehicles for longer amounts of time, or do you get bored easily and want something new?

Can you see a change in circumstances with your life in the couple of years?

I'm sure there are more, but you get the point, everyone's answers are not the same, and all factors should be considered.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought a new 2019 for a number of reasons. You will see lots of folks say the 6-speed transmission is a weak spot, but better the devil you know than the devil you don't. The ZF 9-speed has not been great it other applications. Also, common sense tells you the more moving parts you have, the more potential for problems you have. The more shifts, the more wear. Now, my logic might not be correct, but it makes sense to me. With the money I saved over a 2020 model I got a 100,000 mile warranty.

The 2020 made all the safety nannies and the touchscreen radio standard. I did not want either of those.

The 2020 added auto stop for the engine. Yes, you can disable it with a press of a button...but again...I was not interested in that function.

The 2020 rear doors open wider. I did the mod on my 2019 to fix that issue.

I don't want a locking tailgate as I don't ever plan on putting on a bed cover, so that's not an issue.

For me the 2019 made more sense. Less money, no features I didn't want. Granted, I don't have many miles on it yet since I've been working from home due to COVID-19. But over 5000 miles she's been wonderful. Can't ask for anything more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Buy the 2020 version. Lots of great features, the new 9 speed transmission works very well, no lurches, smooth transitions too. Plus the 9 speed is giving me 28-30 mpg.
One of the things I like about the design is that Honda didnt put a huge gas tank in it. When I get to 1/2 full, $20.00 puts me back to (almost) full.

i am going to install bigger mud flaps, the WeatherTech ones. Do yourself a favour & buy the Honda winter mats protection package, its cheaper than the WeatherTech mats.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,397 Posts
The only reason I purchased my 2020 is gear control while towing. Our trailer is not exactly small so I wanted to have the shifting option. Any of the 3 would serve you well. I personally prefer new, so unless the 2018 was certified and a bargain price, I’d be looking at the other two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts