Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my first post.

I'm in the market for a midsize truck and am seriously considering getting the new ridgeline. I want the RTL E trim for Honda sensing package, better headlights (do lots of night driving), more sound insulation, and better audio/infotainment system.

Reasons why I like the Ridgeline...

- It's a Honda and seems reliable for long term ownership (however parts/assembly is mostly US/Canada...still not a bad thing in my mind)
- Truck bed and back seat area is well designed to haul and store stuff
- Full-time AWD system that is useful on pavement (torque vectoring etc.)
- 25 highway MPG is decent (considering it takes regular gas, weighs 4500 LB, and has an NA V6)
- Very comfortable highway cruiser (easy sitting position/arm rests, quiet/smooth ride, self steering/safety features, and decent audio system)

Reasons why I'm hesitant...

- 1st model year after redesign is generally less reliable
- I wasn't a fan of the transmission (it's very truck like, while I'm used to sports cars...I found it was too Eco-tuned and slow to downshift to place the engine to in the high vtech rev powerband) and there was no way to control gears via paddles
- RTL E models are currently nearly impossible to find (they sell before hitting dealer lots...means dealers have little to discount)
- Rumors that a type R model is coming mid 2017 (a 50k hotrod truck would be still in budget for me)

I currently have a 2014 Porsche Boxster. Granted a ridgeline is no sports car, I want one to be my utility vehicle for when it's not practical to drive the Boxster. I'll likely drive the ridgeline most of the time as an appliance and the boxster would be my fun car. I used to have a 2008 Nissan Frontier and miss it.

I'm curious what others think. It seems my cons will be handled if I waited?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally not a fan of sport trucks, but if a type R appeals to you and is really coming, I'd wait.

Other than that, you will always find some improvements when waiting for the next model year. At some point you have to say good enough.

My bet, and I have been watching for the RTLE since June, is that they will be more available sooner rather than later. I was able to find mine at about a 2k discount on Dec 30, and someone else just posted a 3.5 k discount on their rtle. Mine was white, which was supposedly a high demand color.

So, it's up to you. If you want it, I think you will be able to find it at a reasonable price within 30 days of keeping an eye out for one.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I'd say it depends on how quickly you need a truck.

The Ridgeline was preceded by its genetic twin, the Pilot, so most bugs have already been worked out. There are a couple issues specific to the Ridgeline, because it has a bed. Those are problems with the rear harness and a sometimes-sticking tailgate. Both of those issues should have been fixed in production by now (hopefully as early as last August).

Possible functional updates for 2018 might include an updated infotainment system for the upper trims, since they've been heavily bashed by the press (including Honda's favorite, Consumer Reports), and possible headlight upgrades across the board (since that is very important to Honda). As E/BE headlights are one of your wants, it may make sense to wait if you're interested in any of the lower trims (I think the RTS is the best value overall).

You can upgrade the entertainment system in the lower trims. At this time, you cannot upgrade the higher-trim entertainment/infotainment systems due to their heavy integration. However, with enough demand, the aftermarket may come up with a workable solution in a few years.

The press has also heavily-bashed the narrow rear door openings on the Ridgeline. I'd expect Honda to fix that soon if there is an easy fix; otherwise, we'll have to wait until 2019 refresh.

The 10AT is a wildcard for when we will see it in the Ridgeline. Conservative money says it will be in 2019 (hopefully with paddle shifters), but there is a chance it could show up sooner, if fuel savings are significant enough, and contractual requirements with ZF allow it.

The Ridgeline is not a sports car, but it is the sports car of trucks! ;)

If you like the Frontier, you might consider picking one up for dirt cheap right now. It's a long-running design and all of the bugs should be worked out of it by now. It is old tech, but functional. Want bluetooth/AA/CarPlay? Update the head unit on it.

Nissan apparently has the new Frontier ready to go, but won't introduce it for another year because they want all of the spotlight on their Titan versions for this year. Additionally, the Frontier is selling very well, so Nissan doesn't have much incentive to rush the update out. Anywayz, you can drive the cheap Frontier for a couple years and see what Honda has to offer in the next year or two.

I myself am in the market for an E, but they are still scarce in my neck of the woods (two E trims with 200 miles, and both are Modern Steel...I want Forest Mist). Will probably be 2018 before dealers are willing to come off MSRP around here, but I need a truck soon, so just might bite the Frontier bullet myself if the Honda dealers don't loosen up a little.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 10 speed auto is available now on the new Odyssey. Being manufactured at Honda's transmission plant in Georgia. Maybe it will also be available on the 2018 RL ????

The Odyssey’s juiciest tech upgrade is the world’s first 10-speed automatic for front-engine/front-drive applications, and it was entirely designed in house at Honda. The compact unit utilizes four planetary gear-sets axially aligned with the crankshaft. Gears are selected using three multi-plate clutches connecting various elements and three brakes that lock elements to the case. There’s also a two-way clutch replacing a couple of elements to save considerable packaging length. Another space saver: One of the ring gears does double duty transferring torque to the differential, meaning it has gear teeth inside and outside its shell.

The ratios themselves have yet to be divulged, but the overall ratio spread (first gear ratio divided by tenth gear ratio) is 10.00—up from 6.04 on the six-speed automatic and 9.82 on the Pilot’s ZF nine-speed—and the top four gears are overdrive ratios (as on the nine-speed). The transmission supports the Odyssey’s variable displacement system thanks to a torque converter with a three-stage vibration damper, and it supports auto start/stop (standard on Odyssey 10-speeds) with an accumulator that can engage the first-gear clutches very fast or very slowly and comfortably depending on whether the engine is switching on because the driver is ready to go or because of vehicle-based reasons (like humidity levels calling for AC). Clever.
A Closer Look at the 2018 Honda Odyssey?s 10-Speed, Backseat Spy Cam - Motor Trend

Is 10 speeds enough? Perhaps not. In 2016, Honda filed for a Japanese patent on a 11 speed, 3-clutch transmission.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 10 speed auto is available now on the new Odyssey. Being manufactured at Honda's transmission plant in Georgia. Maybe it will also be available on the 2018 RL ????
Maybe. But it could be a blessing or a curse! It will take some time after release for owners to decide. Curious on the feedback from the Odyssey owners...Might give an indication.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I was in a very similar situation and ultimately bought an RTL for 4k under MSRP about 2 weeks ago. So you just might have some wiggle room in price if you can find a decent RTL-T on a lot.... eventually. Do look at several though, as the fit and finish does vary between each truck!

My daily driver is/was a "luxury-sport" coupe that is getting long in the tooth. It's 24 years old and is beginning to get fussy... heck it's been fussy for a long time!! Add that to the fact that my lifestyle/interests have changed over the last decade from just visiting friends and going to school, to having a downtown day job and being a pretend farmer by night.... the coupe was getting very tired of hauling small livestock and getting overloaded with bags of feed. LOL

As for the truck, it fits my needs and then some.

1) Efficient daily driver that physically fits in the underground parking garage. Current car easy to drive and park, but gets 19-20mpg on 95% highway driving using premium fuel... Ridgeline should be about that if not better AND on regular fuel. My first tank is roughly 19mpg as calculated by hand. I will know more as I keep tracking it, but that includes lots of start, stop, idle, and not the usual 98% highway/freeway driving I do.
2) Drives like a big car or SUV.... Most defiantly a much more boring ride and drive, but it is comfortable as you pointed out. It for sure does not bounce up and down like a Chevy Silverado and most certainly does not give you any thrill like the SC300 can when you hit the gas to get going on an on ramp. Test drive a few Silverados/F150's at the same price point, heck the Tacoma even, and they will make the RL seem way more sport car like. Drove the Tacoma and it's like they tuned it to feel like a big truck.... as in slow to go.
3) Can tow what little that needs to be towed (don't need to hall an 5 ton tractor) and the SC can't do any of that at all!
4) Has plenty for me interior space! The in bed trunk on the RL is only 2 cubic feet less than what I was used to... and there is a ton more human room!
5) The night time illumination on the plain RTL version is Excellent as far as I'm concerned. I didn't drive an RTL-T in the dark, but the RTL I have is plenty bright and puts the coupe to shame in terms of illumination.
So, if you want a RL, I don't think your con's will really change much if you wait or not. Good luck hunting!!

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Boy, only you really know the answer, but just to bring forth one of your points. If you are not a fan of the transmission and there is a glimmer that what you want is on the next one. Then you will always be second guessing that choice if you jumped now. But, just like @DSRC_WSMP notes, it could be a curse as well.

Personally, I like taking gambles, my personality would have me holding off and gamble that they will offer what I want in the next one. But that is only because you say you can wait if need be. If you couldn't wait any longer and need to play and have something now... not a bad choice, still. But I'd say your gut is telling you some logical things... suited for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi all this is my first post.

I'm in the market for a midsize truck and am seriously considering getting the new ridgeline. I want the RTL E trim for Honda sensing package, better headlights (do lots of night driving), more sound insulation, and better audio/infotainment system.

Reasons why I like the Ridgeline...

- It's a Honda and seems reliable for long term ownership (however parts/assembly is mostly US/Canada...still not a bad thing in my mind)
- Truck bed and back seat area is well designed to haul and store stuff
- Full-time AWD system that is useful on pavement (torque vectoring etc.)
- 25 highway MPG is decent (considering it takes regular gas, weighs 4500 LB, and has an NA V6)
- Very comfortable highway cruiser (easy sitting position/arm rests, quiet/smooth ride, self steering/safety features, and decent audio system)

Reasons why I'm hesitant...

- 1st model year after redesign is generally less reliable
- I wasn't a fan of the transmission (it's very truck like, while I'm used to sports cars...I found it was too Eco-tuned and slow to downshift to place the engine to in the high vtech rev powerband) and there was no way to control gears via paddles
- RTL E models are currently nearly impossible to find (they sell before hitting dealer lots...means dealers have little to discount)
- Rumors that a type R model is coming mid 2017 (a 50k hotrod truck would be still in budget for me)

I currently have a 2014 Porsche Boxster. Granted a ridgeline is no sports car, I want one to be my utility vehicle for when it's not practical to drive the Boxster. I'll likely drive the ridgeline most of the time as an appliance and the boxster would be my fun car. I used to have a 2008 Nissan Frontier and miss it.

I'm curious what others think. It seems my cons will be handled if I waited?

Based on the description you gave of yourself, and what your looking for, I doubt you'll find anything you like better than the RL. It's the most car-like truck there is.

How long do you plan to keep it? I wouldn't freak out on it being a first year model, most of it is Pilot carry-over, and you do get a 3 year warranty. Buy the extended warranty if you plan to keep it longer, or rack up the miles.

Rest assured, there is no "R" model coming.... though the concept photo that was going around the net a few months ago looked pretty sweet!

Have you test driven yet? If you can find a trim you like, and the price it right, go for it. Even if you end up out-of-love in a couple years, you won't lose much money. Don't expect any serious changes for 2018.

Reactions: DSERVIT

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have you driven it? Not like side street nonsense but take it out and play with it? I was going for a truck that I could drive, that was my concern because I don't do well driving larger vehicles. I tend to scrape them on things which gets rather expensive. So when I took it for a test drive I hit parking lots, narrow streets, things that would cause me grief.

When I hit the accelerator on the on ramp Monday for work my exact words were holy sh!!! Don't worry only the truck heard me. I bought a truck I can drive and lucked into a truck that was fun.

As the guys have covered there may or may not be a change with the transmission. I would suggest finding a dealer that will let you take one out and play with it. See if it is sporty enough for you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Boy, only you really know the answer, but just to bring forth one of your points. If you are not a fan of the transmission and there is a glimmer that what you want is on the next one. Then you will always be second guessing that choice if you jumped now. But, just like @DSRC_WSMP notes, it could be a curse as well.

Personally, I like taking gambles, my personality would have me holding off and gamble that they will offer what I want in the next one. But that is only because you say you can wait if need be. If you couldn't wait any longer and need to play and have something now... not a bad choice, still. But I'd say your gut is telling you some logical things... suited for you.
I have the same transmission on the pilot. Very smooth. And if you ask a lot of the people with the 9 they will tell you it sucks. It's always hunting for a gear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I don't think Honda will change the RL in its second year. Anything substantial usually comes with the Mid Model refresh as they did with the CRV going to a CVT. CSISMO chimes in from time to time, don't know too much about him but he seems to be some sort on insider. He has alluded to LED's coming (to get the safety rating).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the same boat and decided to just wait for the 2018 in hopes that some major (in my opinion) design flaws will be resolved. (listed below)

1) Upper trim infotainment centers screens hold finger prints and are very sloppy. Hoping at the very least they use a glass that is oil resistant.
2) Fix the back doors so they open all the way up to make loading / unloading much easier.
3) Give me back my volume knobs in higher trims.

And of course my wishes that will never come true:

1) Make the cabin larger, specifically the back seat.
2) Dampen the trucks tailgate. (There must be a way)
3) Add an inch to the clearance while keeping the MPG rating
4) Give me a better arm rest like the Pilot has .. just make the center console tall...

Overall, I know no car is perfect and that I will most likely buy the 2018 Ridgeline as long as there are no glaring flaws, but it does seem a little "cheesy" inside at the upper trim price ranges. (Based solely off a few test rides)
Just my 2-cents .. wait, you don't have that many more months left anyway.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was in the same boat and decided to just wait for the 2018 in hopes that some major (in my opinion) design flaws will be resolved. (listed below)

1) Upper trim infotainment centers screens hold finger prints and are very sloppy. Hoping at the very least they use a glass that is oil resistant.
2) Fix the back doors so they open all the way up to make loading / unloading much easier. Agree
3) Give me back my volume knobs in higher trims. Nope, fine Like it is

1) Make the cabin larger, specifically the back seat. Fine as is
2) Dampen the trucks tailgate. (There must be a way) Agree however I always use the swing gate
3) Add an inch to the clearance while keeping the MPG rating Nope, I'm 5'8" and the truck is just perfect for exit/entry.
4) Give me a better arm rest like the Pilot has .. just make the center console tall... Love the adjustable armrest and console, do not change a thing.

Overall, I know no car is perfect and that I will most likely buy the 2018 Ridgeline as long as there are no glaring flaws, but it does seem a little "cheesy" inside at the upper trim price ranges. (Based solely off a few test rides)
Just my 2-cents .. wait, you don't have that many more months left anyway. We have a Titan, a F150 and a Ram at the office, the least cheesiest is the Honda. :wink:
See above in red.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I was in the same boat and decided to just wait for the 2018 in hopes that some major (in my opinion) design flaws will be resolved.
2) Fix the back doors so they open all the way up to make loading / unloading much easier.
3) Give me back my volume knobs in higher trims.
1) Make the cabin larger, specifically the back seat.
2) Dampen the trucks tailgate. (There must be a way)
3) Add an inch to the clearance while keeping the MPG rating
4) Give me a better arm rest like the Pilot has .. just make the center console tall...
Honda says the 2017 Pilot has a new fingerprint-resistant touchscreen, but they did not add the volume knob like they did to most other 2017 models. I expect the 2018 RL to have the same screen as the 2017 Pilot. Although many folks would like to see wider-opening rear doors, I have serious doubts that Honda will fix this before mid-model refresh in 2019. I too would like more ground clearance but I just don't think Honda cares about that because they don't think it's an issue for their target market.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can't be the only one who got a cleaning cloth included with the truck, to clean that screen? I just leave it in one of the million small cubbies that I can't quite figure out what else they would be good for. When the light is red, I clean off the fingerprints.

Then again, I also bought a black truck so kind of signed on for constant cleaning so why not the screen too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I must be the only one that likes the rear door not fully opening, but this is a recent thing for me.

Why? I have watched my 8 year old daughter (who is 4' 1" or approx 125 cm tall) enter and exit the back seat. The door is angled perfectly to use as an aid for entering and exiting the vehicle. I wouldn't change it. BTW, she hated entering and exiting the Ford F-150, but has no problem with the RL.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I too would like more ground clearance but I just don't think Honda cares about that because they don't think it's an issue for their target market.
Yeah, I don't think their target is necessarily looking for something that is trying to be a full sized truck. One of the swaying points for me was that it was easy to get in and out of... and I still would likely benefit from running boards.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't think Honda will change the RL in its second year. Anything substantial usually comes with the Mid Model refresh as they did with the CRV going to a CVT. CSISMO chimes in from time to time, don't know too much about him but he seems to be some sort on insider. He has alluded to LED's coming (to get the safety rating).
Don't know what is required for new 10speed in-house transmission. They could make the change to that and the lights. It's not unheard of Honda doing this in one year of new redesign model. My 2ndGen 2000 Acura 3.2 TL had new improvements from newly redesign 1999 3.2TL. 2000 got new 5 speed transmission and Intake from speed on 1999. Sport-Shift was changed so it would not start off in 1st gear when in use or let you down shift to 1st. Side Airbags were also added to 2000 model this changed also created the non heating part of the passenger seat in Acura now Honda vehicles. Navigation System changed from multiple regional Disc to Single DVD to cover entire USA. Not exactly sure but think lighted window door switches when switched to lock out all except driver widow. The lights at all other positions would go out. So some of the features we still use started back on 2000 Acura 3.2
Acura RL was slow to redesign so 3.2TL was top dog for Acura/Honda back in then.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
I have the same transmission on the pilot. Very smooth. And if you ask a lot of the people with the 9 they will tell you it sucks. It's always hunting for a gear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes but the 10AT is a completely different transmission from the outsourced 9sp in the Pilot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts