Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I just wanted to know if all of you think I should buy the Ridgeline. Looking at the forums going on and all the complaints, Im not too sure. But i liked what I saw and am a Japanese car guy so it works out good.

But wish the Ridgeline would have had some more gadgets.

With regards to the DVD Entertainment, is there anyway it could be installed behind the center console like in the Malibu Maxx rather than on the roof ?

Im deciding on either the Ridgeline or the Nissan Murano.

Im confused.

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should buy what your gut tells you to buy!

Having said that (and not being a Ridgeline owner yet), I too have had misgivings following the threads on this site. However, it seems like every time someone has a real problem, Honda fixes it, the dealer fixes it or someone on this site tells the others how to fix it. There have been a few exceptions :( I think a good recommendation would be to buy an RL with a vin number over 516000!

At the price the truck is, I too think it should have a few more "gadgets." My 2003 VW Bug has all windows auto up but other than that I think the RL has pretty much everything I want. And if you follow this site, you'll find folks are finding new little things all the time.

I would like a little more power (turbo 6 or a small V8).
I would like to see the price about $2,000 - $3,000 lower but I plan on buying mine at a dealer who is not as proud of his vehicles as some other dealers are so that should help there.
AND I would like to seeat the gas mileage an honest 18-24 or so although this truck is no light weight 4,500 pounds.

The Murano is a gorgeous piece of metal and I like it but I need a small pickup at times so love the roomy interior and the pickup bed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't tell you what to buy but it certainly seems like you're comparing apples and oranges. The Murano is a different class of vehicle, you're not going to dump a couple hundred pounds of Hardware/Garden supplies in the back. However, with the Ridge you can and without a problem.

I am a new RTL-Navi owner, new to Honda and a previous Nissan owner. I was originally looking for a truck though and had quickly decided on the Tacoma back in January. Now, I'm not trying to start a Taco/Ridge bash thread, I'm just trying to explain how I came to the decision to purchase my Ridge. After a test drive of the Taco I noticed, what I would call valve or top end rattle noise under moderate throttle. Afterwards I did more research on the forums and found other Taco owners complaining of the rattle noise, in addition to other issues. What really turned me off, was that no matter the issue, most owners that posted a complaint also complained that their Toyota dealer wasn't supporting them. It was in this search that I found a posting talking about a new vehicle to be released in March. So I decided to wait and so far I'm happy I did.

Now, don't think this is a post of all glory on the Ridge, as I did just post a thread about a tranny leak. Friday I picked up my new Ridge and by Sunday I was noticing a tranny leak which didn't make me happy :mad: However, Tueday morning, after the Memorial day holiday, I drove in to the service dept and they took it in. Since I had a ride to work, they didn't offer me a car but did let me know that if they couldn't fix it by that afternoon, they would provide me with a loaner. Well, they fixed it and that evening I had my Ridge back in hand. Now I can't guarantee that every Honda dealer is going to have a great service department but I was very happy with mine.

Last disclaimer, I just passed the 100 mile mark so I can't say I wont run into more issues but if I do, I feel confident that Honda and my Dealer will make every attempt to make things right. :cool:

Oh, regarding the DVD, anything is possible if you have the money. Try going to a third party installer. There was a post from someone else who had their ride tricked out for around a grand. Figuring the Honda DVD is going to sink you back in easy $1500, not even installed, you might get a better deal with an independent.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The short answer is a resounding "YES"! There has never been a truck introduced with so much thought behind it (especially safety). Like any new introduction there will be bugs that have to be worked out in future years but nothing so serious that you'll be sorry with the purchase (I will assume you have a good service department at your dealer and that you won't get a
a "lemon"). I'm sure there are things would like to have that you don't and things you have that you don't need. I would think this would be true of any vehicle that has ever been made.

You will be sorry with the Ridgeline only if you intend to use it for things for which it was not designed. If you want a real serious off-road vehicle, look elsewhere. If you need to tow 10,000lbs, look elsewhere. If you want 25 mpg, look elsewhere. But if you have need for a truck now and then yet still demand some creature comforts, exceptional safety features, top notch engineering and a good ride, the Ridge is gonna be hard to beat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your feedback.

Honestly, I have never been a truck kinda guy. But i think its real cool and my wife loves it on me. She thinks I will look good in it.

I liked the fact that its spacious unlike other trucks and it has a simple interior not too flashy and has a lot of storage room and does the job well.

Im about to take it for a test drive on Saturday. Do you recommend me to check for anything while driving ?

I thought the Murano was all high-tech and I guess thats what caught my fancy and I should not expect it from the Ridgeline since its a truck and Im definitely moving in the direction of the truck. I really like it.

I just feel the back seats might not be too comfortable on a long distance drive. But will find out soon.

Also what do you think is the best way to negotiate a good deal for this ride ?

Once again thank you for your generous feedback.

Regards,

AJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your post.

Well honestly I thought the Murano was slick looking and had a few cool things but then it was my bad to compare at first. The Intelligent Key system and what not. But the Ridgeline Im surprised does not have security system and also does not have auto headlamps. But thats not a real big deal.

Im not into off-roading and I dont have any purpose for hauling anything. I just want a cool ride especially Japanese that will be loyal and will not give me trouble like most American cars do with their recalls.

I just need to commute to work and drive long distances. I find it extremely comfortable. I wish the seats could have been pilot seats and the back seats would not be like slabs. But nevertheless its comfortable.

The ride definitely fits my budget and I plan to go for the RTL and add some accessories.

Do you suggest that I get the accessories from the deal or third party installer ?

The Ridgeline is definitely an eye-catcher and Im really impressed.

You're right, every ride has initial problems but as long as they can be fixed, its all good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As one of the guys that had several issues I am here today to say I would buy an RL again at the drop of a hat, I would probably get a better deal now as well.

My Service Department and Honda Corp have been very helpful and great to work with. If you have questions or problems just try to be patient and remember it is a new truck and the techs need to learn the ins and outs and often times they are getting direction from the Honda engineers.

I think Shortspark sums it up pretty well. What kind of vehicle do you want? An SUV that rides like a car or a Truck that rides like a car/SUV and still gives you the capabilities of a mid-sized truck, and don't forget about the trunk :p

As for the best deals and what to do on a test drive. Look through this thread http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376 for what to do before you take your RL it has a lot of good info. I also recommend test driving the RL you will be purchasing. The is also a good post by Bellteck about playing the purchasing game see if you can find it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just as the others have stated, I will not tell you what to purchase. I bought two. I brought one home for a couple of days testing and my wife would not let me drive it, so I bought one for her and one for me. Now I also have a 04 Dodge dually for all the big stuff, I bought these for fuel economy and ease of in town driving. I will tell you this, I am 6'3"/290 pounds and I find it a pleasure to drive. I have had a few issues (wind noise and wheel creek) all the issues have been dealt with and I have no qualms recommending this vehicle to anyone.

I feel you will find that the Ridgeline will do all that you ask this level of vehicle to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
anekj said:
...wish the Ridgeline would have had some more gadgets...I'm confused.
What gadget are you looking for that is not on the Ridgeline RTL w/navi. It's loaded. You must be confused. Are you sure you're looking at a Ridgeline?

To answer your question...YES buy a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The Murano and the Ridgeline are two completely different vehicles. The Ridgeline has a truck bed. Will you use that enough to make it worth driving a truck? I think that if there's one question you need to answer, that's it.

Good luck, and if it's yes, drive a Tacoma. Drive a Dakota. Drive a Colorado. Then drive a Ridgeline. You'll cut the deal right then and there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
anekj said:
Hello to all,

I just wanted to know if all of you think I should buy the Ridgeline. Looking at the forums going on and all the complaints, Im not too sure. But i liked what I saw and am a Japanese car guy so it works out good.

With regards to the DVD Entertainment, is there anyway it could be installed behind the center console like in the Malibu Maxx rather than on the roof ?

Im confused.

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

One thing to remember: forums by nature will always cast a negative light on things. Why? Because people don't post everytime their truck starts up fine, etc. People post to ask about problems they are having. This is true with any forums for any car brands.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you really need a truck and want a car-like driving comfort/safety, get the Ridgeline. However, I do not think you should get the Ridgeline, because if you are shopping between Murano and Ridgeline, you DO NOT need a truck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I respect whatever decision you make, however look at the numbers. Look at which company has higher satisfaction Nissan or Honda? Honda. Look at which company is better shape? Honda. Look at which vehicle has the highest safety rating? Honda. Look who has the better relaibility. Honda. Look at who has the highest resale value. Honda. All this coming from a GM loving diehard who traded his Silverado for a Ridgeline. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Shingles hit the nail on the head. ;) As I was reading through the posts I was thinking about your statement regarding all the problems you see on this site.
As problems go, this forum is perfect for discussing and solving problems, as well as learning from others what to look for in a potential problem. It would be painful to read everyone's "Day 67...the truck started and ran like a champ again today" post. Honda appears to be listening and fixing these glitches.

Over the last month or so I visited the nearest Honda dealer, took a test drive, did my homework online, price shopped a half dozen or so dealers and purchased a Ridgeline last Friday and I absolutely love this truck! My buying experience was fantastic. If you are looking for a RL in Harrisburg PA, I have the place and contact for you. My wife was afraid to drive the truck because it was "so big." After she started a trip we were taking she didn't want to stop and ended up driving the whole way.

Do what you will but this is my opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Definitely purchase the vehicle that would make a perfect fit to your day to day commuting needs. Nissan Murano IMO is also a fine machine. I used to own a Nissan so it would also be a good choice. Think of the Ridge as one fine SUV for your daily drives but versatile enough for those occasional trips to the hardware/garden superstore. Just my two cents. :cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
anekj said:
Hello to all,

But i liked what I saw and am a Japanese car guy so it works out good.

Im confused.
Don't buy the Ridgeline -- it is not for you.

If you have to ask, you don't need it.

I'm extremely happy with mine, but you won't like it.

Also, the Ridgeline is not a Japanese car -- in name only.

There are lots of other choices out there.

Go to the Nissan Murano owners' club.

I think you'll like the Murano -- go for the gadgets.

I purposely put the spaces in to help you read between the lines easier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honda's May numbers were posted and the Ridgeline is down - March sales were 3,875 - April sales were 3,365 - May sales were 3,297.

Those waiting on the sidelines like myself should have a better than decent chance at getting a good deal.

It really depends on your needs. I had a '94 Toyota (before it was called the Tacoma), 35,000 + miles and then a '96 T-100, 140,000+ miles. No problems with either and then my wife bought an 03 VW Beetle with turbo and I liked it so well I bought one also but..... we adopted a baby girl and need more room and am too old for a cruddy ride so I am buying an RL. I don't need the pickup bed all the time but I really missed my truck so this unit seems a natural for my family (wife and baby) and I. Lots of room in the cab, lots of storage in the cab and the trunk in the bed and the pickup bed for more storage - you know taking the pac n play and all the other stuff a baby needs.

AND I really think it is a cool looking ride. Now who wants to sell me one at $500 over for a green RTL w/moonroof and vin over 516000? I'm buying now :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
jch said:
Shingles hit the nail on the head. ;) As I was reading through the posts I was thinking about your statement regarding all the problems you see on this site.
As problems go, this forum is perfect for discussing and solving problems, as well as learning from others what to look for in a potential problem. It would be painful to read everyone's "Day 67...the truck started and ran like a champ again today" post.
Day 75: My truck started and ran like a champ again today. :D Sorry, I know it's boring but it's the truth.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts