Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading here for a while, and never posted. I have a 94 Ford Ranger 2WD with 107,000 miles and have been thinking a lot about getting a new truck/SUV. I've looked at the CR-V, but I just can't see myself w/o a pick-up bed to use. I have also looked at the Dakota 4DR, but they have questionable build quality and suck gas. The Colorado is way too weak, the Frontier is OK, but is kinda small still and doesn't do it for me in the looks department. And the Tacoma is pretty nice, but man is that thing expensive!

So I keep coming back to the Ridgeline, I used to own a Civic about 5 years ago, great car, and my better half currenlty has a Civic. The RL looks good because it has good interior room, isn't huge, 5 foot bed, trunk (how awesome is that!), and gets decent gas mileage.

I'm attracted to the base RT model because of the price, and I actually like the looks of the handles, side view mirrors, and gate latch being black polymer. The only thing I'd miss in a RTS is the upgraded sound system, and steering wheel audio controls, and I don't really think $2,000-3,000 is worth it. I am kinda leary of a first year model, but it is a Honda, and an extended warranty would make me feel good.

What is the general opinion of the get up and go of this truck? And what about TSB's? The only thing I've seen come up is the water leak issue, and a few other minor things, but it looks like Honda is fixing these issues at the factory.

Any subjective opinions from current owners is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That 2 tp 3k also buys you leather, heated seats, heated outside rear view mirror, windshield heat element that automatically comes on at 32 deg F, 8 way power driver seat....I'm sure I left out something else!! ;) PS whatever you do, DO NOT BUY YOURS AT RICK CASE HONDA!!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hi Bob,

With respect to the RTS/RTL.....look at the posts as far as price. I know you will get a good price on an upgraded model, and you will feel better about it. I was initially going to go with the base model, then went up to RTL. Then they offered me a good deal on an RTL with a moonroof and that's what I have now.

As for TSB's, Honda is pretty hush-hush on them. I am one of the members you may have read about having water leak problems. I am sure my issue is resolved but with the rains (no leaks in rains) I haven't gotten to the car wash, where my issues were discovered.

I wouldn't worry about it being a first year model. By now the few kinks they have are being worked out. And as for extended warranty, they are available and Christn (ROC member) offers them at $25 over his cost (may wanna check them out).

I have had success in buying at the end of the month, so the dealer makes their 'quota'. Also try dealing with internet fleet department and do as many have. I read one post yesterday of a guy who got invoice from shopping online.

Good Luck and you will not be disappointed in your Ridgeline, no matter what model you get. But isn't it time to treat yourself just a little bit more???

Keep us posted on your RL!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Bob79 said:
What is the general opinion of the get up and go of this truck? Any subjective opinions from current owners is greatly appreciated!
Bob...listen carefully. Dont worry about the get up and go of the truck. You get up and go buy a Ridgeline.

You will be happy with what ever trim level you can afford. If you need justification for upgrading, remember each option increases your value at resale time.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Bob, from what you've said you have looked at all the mid-size trucks out there and basically ruled them out for one reason or another. I did the same thing and I was a multiple Dakota owner for years.

You will find this truck to be cutting edge in many ways, some you can readily see and others are internal but you won't find a better engineered and reliable truck (if it turns out like other Hondas). It is not perfect and I am sure future year models will have improvements but every car is like that.

The issue of which model to choose is a very individual one. I don't need all the things that came with the RTL but I am glad I got it. It should hold its value for a long time and you'll get a certain percentage of that upgrade at trade-in time down the road.

Now that I know you've decided to get one, what color will it be!!?? PS-I suggest silver!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Bob79, Welcome aboard!
Spend some time on this site reading posts and I guarantee that you too will be bitten by the Ridgeline and the ROC! The Readers Digest version of my praises for the Ridgeline and the ROC is that at 54 years old (I feel like 24 and sometimes am accused of acting like 14), it has been a loooong time since I have been excited about a vehicle. The Ridgeline is changed all that because it is that good. It is fun being excited and that is a good thing!
I wholeheartedly agree with Meanmachine 19, Steveberger, Sportspark, and Tex's Ridge comments, especially Tex's last comment.
Go for it! You are in for a great ride and a lot of very pleasant surprises!
Once again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey Bob,

I know how you feel about the "first-year model" thing. My mom bought a first-year Prius, and was pretty nervous about the new hybrid technology. A couple years later, I bought a 2-year-old Insight, with the extended warranty that transferred to me. In both cases, we've been really happy with our cars -- she's had one problem with the computer in the Prius that kept it in the shop for a couple weeks (she lives in the boonies in VA, I think they don't have many hybrids out there :) ) and I've had no troubles with my Insight.

The point being that Honda and Toyota both are great companies that make a fine, fine product. I had no qualms at all getting the Ridgeline, even though it's a first year model, because I know there will be very few issues with it, and Honda will take care of the major ones. I'm kinda glad I waited, because of the early windshield issues; they're fixing problems as they come along (c'mon, auto-unlock programming!!).

Have you test-driven the Ridgeline? It's *very* peppy, fun to drive. I considered the 4-door Tacoma, but didn't even test-drive it... I fell in love with the Ridgeline! The back seats are very roomy, so it's really as much of a car as it is a truck -- which is why I call it a cruck! Really, it's the best thing out there.

Definitely check out the internet sales deals that you can get -- you might be able to upgrade from the RL just based on paying closer to invoice instead of MSRP. Also, as it has been said, shop near the end of the month! But definitely go test drive one -- you will not regret it!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bob:

I've owned mine for nearly 5 months. I love it, my wife loves it, it turns heads and creates lots of interest and it's being discounted, at least based on everything I read here (I paid sticker back in March but don't regret the decision). This is the most civilized light hauler you will find anywhere, at any price. As far as initial defects on a first year model, I would suggest paying attention to the vin #'s on anything you test drive. Honda should be approaching 30000 produced (read the vin # from right to left). A high vin # should include fixes for some of the early cosmetic issues (steering wheel, wind noise, leaking). One more bonus is Honda's recent announcement about extending their powertrain limited warranty to 5yrs, 60K miles.

One more thing- BUY SILVER!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bob,
You are right to be very concerned about the value and reliability of the vehicle you invest in because you are going to have to live with it for many years and face the trade in value at the end of that time. A new vehicle with no apparent track record is cause for concern....that's the way I've always looked at it.

Having said that, I was a first year Odyssey (99) and first year Pilot (2003) buyer and have no regrets. Not to mention that wife will not let me trade the Pilot except to get a new one (maybe). All vehicles will have teething problems, not just new models, and Honda has taken good care of its customers on all these issues. The Ody door mechanism needed replacement adjustment; the Pilot needed water pump replaced and Honda proactively took care of all these issues and then some and without undue time at the shop.

I am about to trade the Ody for a Ridge and have no reservations that Ridge will be similarly satisfying vehicle to own and drive. The reasons I purchased the Ody are the same as for the Pilot and now a Ridgeline. I wanted a safe vehicle for my family that was comfortable, reliable, economical, and good value. The peace of mind I have had with these "large" Honda vehicles (all 4400 lbs+) is immeasurable and now I'll also have that peace of mind in bad weather.

They are not cheap vehicles but even the base model has all the active and passive safety features of the RTLs. This month is the best time to date to purchase a Ridgeline and what I learned on ROC that prompted me to begin negotiations. Honda Corp has since mid-June IIRC been providing dealers additional $1K hold back and prompted dealer internet sales managers to be receptive to invoice pricing. Not known how long this will last.

L

·
0 Posts
Hi Bob,
I don't think these guys left me anything to say so....I'll leave you with this.
How can you NOT buy a Ridgeline?
:) :D
Oh...and...buy Silver. :p

·
Registered
993 Posts
Bob79 said:
What is the general opinion of the get up and go of this truck?

Any subjective opinions from current owners is greatly appreciated!
I think the power of the engine in this truck is excellent. The premise of the VTEC technology employed in this engine is that it has optimum power/torque at both low and high RPMs. I've got 5 months and nearly 5,000 miles with no problems. We love it. Keep in mind you may not need to buy the extended warranty as Honda is extending the warranty on all 06 models such as the Ridgeline to 5 year 60,000 miles.

.........and of course, Steel Blue is the best color ever !! :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had mine for about 1-1/2 weeks and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong here. Any color is fine. Black looks really tough though :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never purchased a vehicle that exceeded my expectations before this one. Everything about this thing (don't really think it's a truck or a car) has impressed me.

I thought I was going to get a Pilot. Was open minded enough to drive a Ridgeline. Wow-wee does this thing handle the road!!! Smooth does not begin to describe the ride of this thing (car? truck? SUV?).

I, too, traded a Ranger. The Ranger was a good beater-upper. Actually tried to buy an F-150 two weeks before getting the Ridgeline. Ford's stupid pricing policies and the ride of the truck chased me out of the Ford dealer. I will never go back there again for any reason.

The safety, quality, and superb engineering of the Ridgeline more than justify its price. The durability of Honda products makes it an extreme value. Getting an RTL is never having to say you're sorry!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, a lot of responses quickly!

Well, I'm on my way to getting one!

I took advantage of the pricing posted here with Joliet Dodge :D

They found me an RT model in steel blue like I wanted at another dealer and will get it in Thursday. I have to work Thursday so I'll be coming in Friday to seal the deal. The VIN# is also pretty high as well, 29,000 and something, built in July.

Talked it over more with the better half and she is cool with everything. Looks like I'll be spending more time here on this site also. I plan on getting the running boards, hood wind deflector, and rear mud guards. Thanks to everyone who has been posting here.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's a "cruck"!! :)

Good choice on the color! :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bob,
I paid full price, and traded a 2005 4-runner and got $26500 off, but took a bath. BUT, I WILL NEVER REGRET IT, THIS VEHICLE, THE RIDGE, IS THE BEST ALL AROUND THAT I HAVE EVER DRIVEN, accept for my 91' Acura integra 3 door.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bob,
That's great! Hey...would you let us know what kind of price the Joliet dealership gives you on the accessories? My Dad & I are each thinking of getting RL's from there since the dealers in Central Ohio aren't willing to discount anywhere near invoice.

I hope to get (or order) mine in a week or so.

FINALLY!

-Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
bob79 by the way the rt does have the heated wiper element with it.I have had my silver rt for about 5 weeks now and I think it is the best vechile I have ever owned.As for accessories check ebay I purchased the rear mud flaps and installed them myslf only 2 screws and a pop rivet.When you go to pick it up see if the dealer will throw in any of your accessories or give them to you at cost.You will not regret this truck and you will love everything about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts