Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been contemplating purchasing the VanTeck p300 rack for my 2014 ridgeline.
I mostly would use it to help me transport my old town 17’ canoe and perhaps some bikes in the future. Right now I actually port the canoe onto the truck OEM roof rack by using a step and climbing into the bed of the truck. Let me tell you it’s a very difficult process.
I would imagine this would make it easier.

Things that are holding me back....

the quality of the product and how it stands the test of time?
How it looks on the truck when not transporting anything.
The cost... I got s price from customer support at CARID of 517.99 that a huge discount but I’m still not convinced.

Can someone convince me or talk me out of this purchase? Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I mostly would use it to help me transport my old town 17’ canoe and perhaps some bikes in the future. Right now I actually port the canoe onto the truck OEM roof rack by using a step and climbing into the bed of the truck. Let me tell you it’s a very difficult process.

The cost... I got s price from customer support at CARID of 517.99 that a huge discount but I’m still not convinced.

Put the vantech on mine to carry a heavy 18 foot tandem kayak. Found it easiest to leave the back rack off for loading/unloading. With 2 people, simply lift the front onto the bed, wheel it forward, lift to the front rack to support it, hop out of the bed, one person lifts the back, other pulls the kayak from a rope on the front, once it’s on the front rack and roof racks, one person lifts it about an inch to allow the back rack to slide under, and the other installs the rear rack. Takes about a minute.

Only complaint with the racks is for installing/removing, you really have to loosen the 4 bolts on each side of each rack a little, and it really does take 2 people, one on either side or its a real pain sliding them. Only takes a minute or so to loosen each side with a ratcheting wrench though.
F81D9A52-C0BB-4490-B32B-D9EE71888036.jpeg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Put the vantech on mine to carry a heavy 18 foot tandem kayak. Found it easiest to leave the back rack off for loading/unloading. With 2 people, simply lift the front onto the bed, wheel it forward, lift to the front rack to support it, hop out of the bed, one person lifts the back, other pulls the kayak from a rope on the front, once it’s on the front rack and roof racks, one person lifts it about an inch to allow the back rack to slide under, and the other installs the rear rack. Takes about a minute.

Only complaint with the racks is for installing/removing, you really have to loosen the 4 bolts on each side of each rack a little, and it really does take 2 people, one on either side or its a real pain sliding them. Only takes a minute or so to loosen each side with a ratcheting wrench though. View attachment 394064 View attachment 394065
Really? I frequently load two 22' doubles and I just slide them up over the back rack. My set up is the one on the VanTech web site. I also had a VanTech rack on my 2007 G1. It gave me 7 years of trouble free use but I had it also had the sliding issue that 68912 reported. I'm fairly certain that it's caused by not getting the rails exactly parallel. I know I sound like a sales rep but I've been very happy with their products.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i pulled the trigger and purchased the rack last week from CARiD. I couldn’t pass up the deal.

I installed the rails this passed weekend. I felt like the holes that attached to the bed didn’t line up 100% but in the end I made it work.

As far as quality it seems like they are well built but to remove them ....holy shit what a pain in the ass. I had a heck of a time. I ended up doing the same and loosening the bolts . Not a big deal. Just wish I had known that before struggling to take them off.

I can’t wait to use it to transport my canoe. Hopefully I won’t have to remove the back rack and even if I do it still would be easier then the way I was doing it previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really? I frequently load two 22' doubles and I just slide them up over the back rack.
Maybe when i was younger... now I know enough not to risk it when there’s a simpler way. This is no lightwight, mine is around 140-150 pounds just for the center part.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe when i was younger... now I know enough not to risk it when there’s a simpler way. This is no lightwight, mine is around 140-150 pounds just for the center part.
View attachment 394132
Ahh, you didn't say it was a Mirage Island! I should have looked closer at your pictures and I would have seen the amas. My doubles are conventional sea kayaks and are only 90 lbs. Plus, I'm still young (well.... in my lower 70's).
Phil ;>)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Take a look at this! Get it and you won't regret it! Works like a champ, I threw a cargo box on the vantech rack and a Yakima loadwarrior on the roof rack.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts